Suggestion for staple food

Endless

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello! I'm a vegan and I eat whole food plant based. No oil and no processed stuff. I would like to get some suggestions for what to eat as staple / main source of calories. Currently my calories mostly come from cornmeal / polenta, potatoes, white rice. +some sweet potatoes, pumpkin and squash. (I do eat other veggies and fruits but that's not much calories.)
I hear bad things just about every staple food there is, so I'm trying to find a balance. I'm on a budget also, so my choices are limited.

gluten containing stuff and oats - I can't eat them
cornmeal - oxalates. aflatoxins. (and it feels like it hurts my teeth if I overdo it)
potatoes - oxalates. (+Maybe too much potassium?)
sweet potatoes - oxalates. +relatively expensive here.
buckwheat - oxalates. +somewhat hard to digest for my stomach
millet - goitrogens
rice - arsenic. +I get constipated if I overdo it.
quinoa - too expensive for me.

I don't know how much of the "bad stuff" one can read about these foods is actually a problem. Like in Asia they eat a ton of white rice and have no problems with arsenic or constipation. Or in the traditional Okinawa diet they eat a ton of yams / sweet potatoes and have no problems with oxalates. So in light of all this can you give me any suggestions? Thank you!

Im not a doctor but your extremely restrictive diet and fear of whole foods suggests orthorexia. It STRONGLY suggests orthorexia.

Rice you just soak and rinse to remove traces of arsenic. Soaking and rinsing rice is fairly standard.

Everything else you're demonizing becomes wholesome and nutritous when eaten in moderation balanced with other foods.

Its very concerning to me you don't seem to eat beans, lentils or peas...or tofu or tempeh. Or nuts and seeds.

Phytoestrogens in soy don't affect humans in any negative way. Hype about tofu is propaganda from the meat and dairy industry which is historically sexist in associations of vegetarians with femininity and meat eating with masculinity. Ironically, in India MEN are more likely to be vegan because it's believed women need dairy due to menstruation and pregnancy - the opposite of Western bias. Mammalian estrogen in dairy is much worse than phytoestrogens in soy.

Where's the beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, tofu, tempeh?
and other whole grains-farro--can't really think of others if you're celiac

Where are you getting your information? Too much potassium is quite a feat!

What are your reasons to avoid those foods? Do you have a history of kidney stones?
Do you have celiac disease?

Here, I made this for myself. I put in too much chia seeds though.

Attachments

• foods.JPG
    foods.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 8