Sugar and Veganism

Yoshi5283

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Strict vegetarian
  2. Vegetarian
Hey everyone,

I am having a real hard time here. I’m a vegetarian, and have been for 15 years (since 7th grade). Back then I didn’t really do research on why I could or could not have being a vegetarian. But something came up recently where I’m learning I literally have to contact all these companies about certain ingredients in their products and if they’re vegetarian or not (monodiglycerides, whey, etc). I recently learned sugar is processed with bone char. Sugar is literally in everything. I tried talking to people in my life about it, but no one is a vegan or vegetarian and they just don’t understand. So if you see sugar listed as an ingredient, do you still buy the item or is that inhumane?

I do, because worrying about the sugar source sounds like too much of a headache.

I am under the impression that most sugar is not processed with bone char. I've also heard that even if you were to write to the company and ask, they might not know. they get sugars from many sources.
And like Danielle, I have bigger and better things to worry about so I choose not to be too concerned about it.

I do have a good suggestion for you. Instead of researching products and ingredients yourself let someone else do it. If you have a smartphone, you can use the app IsItVegan. You can type in the name of the product or just take a picture of the bar code. it has a really big database of vegan products. It's not perfect but it beats trying to figure it out yourself. I especially like the fact that you can use it in the grocery store BEFORE you have purchased the product.

If you don't have a smartphone there are a number of web-based databases. Personally, I haven't used any of them but you might want to check out the Vegan Product guide and/or the Database of Vegan Products.

I hope that helps.

Reactions: Second Summer
FIrst off, this applies to all sugar-white, powdered, or brown
All organic or 'raw' is vegan
All beet sugar is vegan

This isn't the link I really wanted, but it's still good. I've always bought Pioneer sugar, as it's available and known to be from beets.

I don't question the source of sugar in every packaged foods. I pick my battles on what really has impact on the change I want to see.

I am under the impression that most sugar is not processed with bone char. I've also heard that even if you were to write to the company and ask, they might not know. they get sugars from many sources.
And like Danielle, I have bigger and better things to worry about so I choose not to be too concerned about it.

I do have a good suggestion for you. Instead of researching products and ingredients yourself let someone else do it. If you have a smartphone, you can use the app IsItVegan. You can type in the name of the product or just take a picture of the bar code. it has a really big database of vegan products. It's not perfect but it beats trying to figure it out yourself. I especially like the fact that you can use it in the grocery store BEFORE you have purchased the product.

If you don't have a smartphone there are a number of web-based databases. Personally, I haven't used any of them but you might want to check out the Vegan Product guide and/or the Database of Vegan Products.

I hope that helps.
Thanks! I do have the IsItVegan app, but I feel like most things I can always say “may be vegan” or “not sure”. I know there’s a website for figuring out if beer/wine is vegan (barnivore), do you know if there is a website like that for brand foods? I always try to google it before reaching out to the companies, but I also noticed that some information is a few years old and some recipes have changed for the better! I looked into both of the ones you mentioned and I really like both of them! I was just curious if I’m missing something :)

FIrst off, this applies to all sugar-white, powdered, or brown
All organic or 'raw' is vegan
All beet sugar is vegan

This isn't the link I really wanted, but it's still good. I've always bought Pioneer sugar, as it's available and known to be from beets.

I don't question the source of sugar in every packaged foods. I pick my battles on what really has impact on the change I want to see.
This is extremely helpful. As soon as I realized, I replaced all of my sugars with organic sugars instead of the beet ones, (just because I did not see them at the store!)

I appreciate your response on picking your battles, because in reality that’s what I’m really struggling with. I know the right thing to do would be to stop purchasing things with sugar, but like everyone else is saying that’s extremely hard, and honestly not completely realistic in this time and age. So I appreciate it! Thank you!

I appreciate your response on picking your battles,
Remember the vegan def includes the word practical. How broadly you interpret that word is up to you but making yourself crazy, or spending hours trying to figure out stuff is, IMHO, NOT practical.

one thing that should help you be more vegan and healthier is to buy less food that is ready-made, or highly processed, or has lots of ingredients. Those foods don't require much thought, analysis, or research.

I've just seen the movie In Defense of Food. the movie has nothing to do with veganism. It's more of a Flexitarian movie. Having just seen the film I can't help to see things thru the filmmaker's lens. I think the rules advocated in the film are worth remembering. and should help you. Rule #2 was never eat anything with more than 5 ingredients. :)

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I have the Carrot Cake INGREDIENT LIST BUT I NEED A REAL RECIPE TO TURN THESE INGREDIENTS INTO A CARROT CAKE!!
PLEASE HELP - I DO APPRECIATE SILVA WHO GAVE ME A RECIPE FOR A SORT OF LARABAR; BUT, I NEED IT TO BECOME AN ACTUAL CARROT CAKE!
THANK YOU FOR ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS!

Remember the vegan def includes the word practical. How broadly you interpret that word is up to you but making yourself crazy, or spending hours trying to figure out stuff is, IMHO, NOT practical.

one thing that should help you be more vegan and healthier is to buy less food that is ready-made, or highly processed, or has lots of ingredients. Those foods don't require much thought, analysis, or research.

I've just seen the movie In Defense of Food. the movie has nothing to do with veganism. It's more of a Flexitarian movie. Having just seen the film I can't help to see things thru the filmmaker's lens. I think the rules advocated in the film are worth remembering. and should help you. Rule #2 was never eat anything with more than 5 ingredients. :)

I love this! I’m excited to watch this! Thank you for sharing! I am definitely one to stay away from the processed foods! I love to cook, and home make most things! This whole post was more a concern of the fact that sugar is even in bread or pasta sauces and simple things like that!
Thank you for putting me in a better mindset of practical, it’s really been stressing me out this past week, and there are WAY bigger things to stress about (especially during this past year)
So thank you!! :)

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
This whole post was more a concern of the fact that sugar is even in bread or pasta sauces and simple things like that!
you should make your own pasta sauces. they are healthier. Less sugar, salt, and other stuff. and they are easy. and you probably will save money too. I make a pot of pasta sauce every month and put them in ziplock bags or Tupperware and freeze them. There are a lot of really healthy recipes that include lots of other veggies. Let me know if you want mine.

Bread still drives me a little crazy. I remember years ago spending like 20 minutes in the bakery aisle looking for a bread that was vegan. Mostly it was the eggs and milk that they sometimes put in breads. I wasn't worried about sugar. IsItVegan will kick out a bread if it has added vitamin D. I'm still looking for a vegan ready-made pizza crust. A time/sanity saver I found is that it's a really safe bet that French bread and sourdough bread is vegan. Those are your best bets at Subway, too.

Reactions: Emma JC
I have the Carrot Cake INGREDIENT LIST (below) BUT I NEED A REAL RECIPE TO TURN THESE INGREDIENTS INTO A CARROT CAKE!!
PLEASE HELP - I DO APPRECIATE SILVA WHO GAVE ME A RECIPE FOR A SORT OF LARABAR; BUT, I NEED IT TO BECOME AN ACTUAL CARROT CAKE!
THANK YOU FOR ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS!

CAKE:
3 c. shredded carrot

1 c. pitted dates

1 c. soaked walnuts

2/3 c. unsweetened shredded coconut

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. ginger

1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

Pinch of sea salt

Frosting:
2 1/2 c. soaked cashews

1 1/2 c. almond milk

3/4 c. honey or coconut nectar

1/4 c. lemon juice

1 T. vanilla

1 c. coconut oil (Nutiva is best)

3 T. lecithin
Well those ingredients aren't going to make a regular kind of carrot cake! In fact, while the top ingredients are good for like snack balls - although I do think they need more dry ingredients--the frosting doesn't belong. the frosting recipe would be fine on a baked carrot cake.

HEY--I didn't give you that recipe, you posted the ingredients asking how to prepare them!!!

This is a carrot cake--

you should make your own pasta sauces. they are healthier. Less sugar, salt, and other stuff. and they are easy. and you probably will save money too. I make a pot of pasta sauce every month and put them in ziplock bags or Tupperware and freeze them. There are a lot of really healthy recipes that include lots of other veggies. Let me know if you want mine.

Bread still drives me a little crazy. I remember years ago spending like 20 minutes in the bakery aisle looking for a bread that was vegan. Mostly it was the eggs and milk that they sometimes put in breads. I wasn't worried about sugar. IsItVegan will kick out a bread if it has added vitamin D. I'm still looking for a vegan ready-made pizza crust. A time/sanity saver I found is that it's a really safe bet that French bread and sourdough bread is vegan. Those are your best bets at Subway, too.
I would absolutely love your recipe! I think that’s such a good idea to just just freeze them and have it ready for whenever you need it! :) I make my own pizza crust, it really doesn’t take that long to make, and it’s really yummy if you want that recipe :)

This is the link I wanted! and it goes for all sugar-white, brown, and powdered

I've always bought Pioneer brand.

• Informative
Reactions: Lou
I would absolutely love your recipe! I think that’s such a good idea to just just freeze them and have it ready for whenever you need it! :) I make my own pizza crust, it really doesn’t take that long to make, and it’s really yummy if you want that recipe :)
Ok. cool I'll trade.

I keep my recipes in Copy Me That.
Here is the link. I'm using this pasta sauce for pizza too. Its too chunky for pizza sauce so I ran my immersion blender thru it.

What I've found and go by:

Whey is rarely vegan and most likely if you find a product with microbial (vegan) whey it will be advertised as such.

Kosher Parve or Kosher Dairy products cannot have glycerin or glycerides from land meat at all, that's generally the only way I can find products containing glycerin that are vegan.

Sugar is really nuanced. I personally only avoid sugar that's listed as Cane Sugar or that's been said not to be vegan. To be safe, you can stick with sugar products from the Britain, Australia, or India, or Beet Sugar, Organic/Unbleached Cane Sugar, Invert Sugar, syrups, Molasses, or pure Fructose/Sucrose.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Lou