Spaying/Neutering

AeryFairy

Anachronism
Reaction score
Our new kitty friend, Pixel, is not spayed. She's 18 months old - so old enough to have it done. However, she's an indoor cat and we don't have any other pets. Are there advantages to spaying her aside from avoiding pregnancy? I've never had to make the decision before - any cat I've had previously had already had the procedure.

Yes, get her done. Spaying is great for health and helps prevent many cancers, although at 18 months it might be too late to get that protection - your vet should be able to answer that. She might spray when she's in heat and will definitely be restless and noisy.

Personally I think there are mental benefits too. It must be horrible to be "on heat" and have no way to... scratch that itch.

Besides the horrible howling of a cat in heat, unspayed cats and dogs are VERY prone to deadly uterine infections: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyometra (**Warning, GORY!!)
When I worked at an animal hospital, I saw many pets develop this as a result of their owners holding off or never spaying their cats or dogs. It's very dangerous and VERY expensive to treat!

Reactions: AspireToExpire
I have never had an unspayed cat myself, but can attest to the fact that listening to the insatiable howls of a female cat in heat gets pretty unbearable, particularly in the middle of the night. Plus, as stated above, they can't get uterine/ovarian cancer if they have no uterus or ovaries anymore.

Unspayed female cats will cycle in and out of heat almost constantly if they're not impregnated. That is a great stressor on them, physically and mentally/emotionally. Plus what everyone else has said.

I'm starting to wonder if Bogart is, indeed, neutered. Maybe this is why he howls all night long? He also does this weird, friendly thing during the night, to my comforter. :oops: Unfortunately, there's no way I'm going to get near enough to "that area" to find out. :p I'll have the vet check next time he is there.

I'm starting to wonder if Bogart is, indeed, neutered. Maybe this is why he howls all night long? He also does this weird, friendly thing during the night, to my comforter. :oops: Unfortunately, there's no way I'm going to get near enough to "that area" to find out. :p I'll have the vet check next time he is there.

You'd be able to smell it. :yuck: It's possible that he was neutered later in life and howling at night just became a habit. :p

Goomer is an indoor cat but she's done. Thank god too as she went out behind me one morning and was out all day whilst I was at work!
My friend's kitten wasn't done until quite late and was a crazy kitty, calmed down after though :) xxx

My kitties kitten making equipment was promptly removed at 6 1/2 months.

And I'll mention that the woman I got them from on a Craig's list add stated her cat was never fixed because she was indoors only. But of coarse she got out and knocked up. The mama cat was over 2. Get that kitty fixed!

My boyfriend's cat is fixed but he does something similar.

Aside from what others have mentioned, Id also be tempted to think that she would be more prone to escaping/wandering if she were not spayed (ie if she gets scent of a male outdoors). Most people I know with indoor cats have had them somehow manage to escape at least once. thats stressful enough as it is, let alone adding in "Oh **** what if she comes back pregnant". Ive only ever had male cats up until recently, and my two girlies were both done when we got them, so I cant say it definately though.

Fiona was here only one night before her appointment and started to act as if she was going into heat within a few hours. Rolling around on the floor, low to the ground, yowling all night long etc. When I picked her up from her spay yesterday, just as sweet as ever but a different cat. She's bounced right back... walking tall with her head and tail high, exploring her new home. I can actually get her attention for affection/play time as she is not obsessed with that insatiable urge to be a girl that just wants to have fun . She seems to be adjusting much better all around.
Everyone is calm and we all got sleep! :starshower:

Aside from what others have mentioned, Id also be tempted to think that she would be more prone to escaping/wandering if she were not spayed (ie if she gets scent of a male outdoors). Most people I know with indoor cats have had them somehow manage to escape at least once. thats stressful enough as it is, let alone adding in "Oh **** what if she comes back pregnant". Ive only ever had male cats up until recently, and my two girlies were both done when we got them, so I cant say it definitely though.

To add to this- it really burns me up, the people who have male cats unaltered and don't worry about their outdoor escapades because they can't come home knocked up with that out of sight-out of mind mentality. Drives me nuts. They are half responsible for the out of control cat populations, with or without their acknowledgement...

On top of unwanted pregnancy if they manage to pull the slip, there is feline leukemia/AIDS (distemper/rabies- if not up to date on their shots) they could contract from outdoor cats they come in contact with. This is especially a problem if you have other cats at home.

Yes. And sexual intercourse and the fighting that goes with it are major factors in the spread of feline aids, feline leukemia, etc.