Dragons Lair Animal Centre,Devil's Bridge

jilly

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
hello, Regarding previous entries about Dragons Lair Animal Rescue at Devils Bridge, I would like to post my entry about my experiences volunteering at this centre,all of which have been very enjoyable. We have been on 3 or 4 occassions totalling about 25 to 30 days in all. We have built a bridge, cleared bracon and weeds, fed animals and cleaned animal sheds and pens.
We didn't go with the intentions of playing with fluffy animals as previous volunteers may have done. We went to help and I learnt a lot about animal husbandry while I was there. The sheep shelters were cleaned daily and the pigeon area. The hen house was also cleaned daily, not a great job as many hens spent the night in there! I do know that bleach can be used on any mould or mildew on wood, if that was ever done in the hen house first thing in the morning the doors would have been left open all day as they always were to air and dry before evening. All animal houses were wooden with floors, ceilings and walls all being insulated.
The cat sheds were hoovered daily and there was always dried food and water for the cats left in them after the cats were given their daily feed of fresh and tinned meat, they had carpet, baskets and cushions to lie on.
All the animals were fed daily, I didn't see any mouldy bread or old food as previous posts had reported.
We stayed on site in a cabin which had been made comfortable and pleasant.
Mrs. Aldhouse always put the welfare of animals as her top priority, I never saw ANY sign of any mis-treatment or neglect, I have always been impressed by Carolyn Aldhouse being so conscientious about her animal welfare exemplary in fact and I look forward to visiting her again there soon.
I know Carolyn has some excellent references for animal welfare, I don't know why she doesn't post them on this site so that people can see good things about her and not just the opinions of some biased people on this site.

Hi @jilly - I've done multiple searches here, but I can't find any mention of Dragons Lair Animal Rescue anywhere. Maybe you're confusing us with another Internet forum?