Small Texas community stands by man who killed daughter's alleged abuser

There is no statistical evidence that can show whether or not this attacker was capable of greater violence. I do believe that a rational person (which is the standard under the law) could reasonably believe that a person capable of a violent abduction and rape of a 5-year old is also capable of killing someone who tries to stop them, either to escape or eliminate witnesses (or both).
The abduction and rape of children is (fortunately) rare, but we do know the subset of offenders that constitute this group are the ones capable of greater violence. As this perp fits that category, it is reasonable to assume that he is also capable of greater acts of violence.

Ah well, to put it rather offensive, whether one can abduct a 5-year child or not would not be a significant indicator of ones potential for violence and destruction.

Ah well, to put it rather offensive, whether one can abduct a 5-year child or not would not be a significant indicator of ones potential for violence and destruction.

You really don't think that abducting and raping a child is not a significant indicator of one's potential for violence? Really?

It isn't the "can", it the willingness. Someone willing to abduct and rape a child, which is significantly different than the typical child molester MO, has placed themselves into a class of villains that are capable of committing what society recognizes as our most heinous crimes. Therefore, it is reasonable for someone to treat someone who commits that act as violent and dangerous. Self defense statutes specifically recognize protecting another person from sexual assault as a reason to exert deadly force, which is consistent with the position I am presenting.

You need to put forth more than one-liners if you want an actual discussion.
Isn't willingness the largest factor in potential though?

1. Just because you can do one thing doesn't mean that you are capable of doing another thing.
2. Even so, just because you can defeat a 5-year old, doesn't mean that you are dangerous in the same way to grown-ups. Or do you suppose that being big and strong is a per-requisite for becoming a child rapist? Even though you are certainly right with the position that a cornered and mentally disturbed person is capable of almost anything.

Ah, I don't agree with the opinion that deadly force should be allowed to be used, at least not in every case.

You just like playing the Devil's Advocate, don't you? You always argue the most minute points.
Why wouldn't I?

I'm glad the father didn't have to go to prison as it seems like that family has suffered enough and that little girl shouldn't have to lose her father for years.

Reactions: lucky_charm
Yeah, the father would probably want that kill undone.

Because by focusing on the minutiae in your desire to play devil's advocate, you often miss the forest for the trees.

What is the "forest" in this case then?

I agree with the decision not to charge the father.

But another question comes to mind. What was a 4 year old child doing all by herself, that allowed this guy to abduct her?

When my son was that age, we didn't let him out of our site for a minute.

I believe this took place in a small rural town where everyone knows everyone else. But still, ideally a child should be able to wander out of sight of her parents without having the first adult she encounters raping or abducting her. I used to walk to kindergarten and back when I was five. School was about half a mile away from home. Granted, those were very different times.

I agree with the decision not to charge the father.

But another question comes to mind. What was a 4 year old child doing all by herself, that allowed this guy to abduct her?

When my son was that age, we didn't let him out of our site for a minute.

She had gone over to the barn to feed the chickens. That is not unusual on a farm or ranch. I was out of sight of my parents a good deal of the time when I was a kid.