Crash Kills 5 Kids on way to Water Park

Rosie1

I don't know what to put here.
Reaction score
Five children, ages 2 to 13, died when an SUV they were riding in blew a tire and crashed on a Texas highway, police said.

A dozen people were packed into the 2003 GMC Envoy on Monday, on the way to a family outing at Splash Kingdom water park in Canton, Texas, according to Trooper Jean Dark of the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Driver Federico Acuna lost control when the right rear tire exploded on Interstate 20 just outside Canton in Van Zandt County on Monday afternoon, Dark said. Acuna apparently overcorrected and the vehicle flipped, she said.

None of the children who died was wearing a seat belt, Dark said.

Rest of article here: http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/21/us/texas-fatal-crash/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

None of the children who died was wearing a seat belt.

This is so very often the case in auto accident deaths, especially with young drivers. The idea of children whose lives are in the in the hands of others could be left so unprotected is simply unspeakable.
...and the driver had his on?

Too sad.

Reactions: thefadedone
Unsurprised that it flipped.

Didn't know they had that many seats though. Holy ****. Or is that why there were some without seatbelts? I'd just assume those without had taken theirs off, but can those really fit that many people by design?

I bet the driver is fucked either way though. Sure you might not be able to keep track of 11 other people's seatbelted status, but I think legally you get blamed for it anyway. I'm glad my car has only four seats... two of which could actually fit people (why do they even add those seats in a coupé? They're just dead weight).

Unsurprised that it flipped.

Didn't know they had that many seats though. Holy ****. Or is that why there were some without seatbelts? I'd just assume those without had taken theirs off, but can those really fit that many people by design?

I bet the driver is ****ed either way though. Sure you might not be able to keep track of 11 other people's seatbelted status, but I think legally you get blamed for it anyway. I'm glad my car has only four seats... two of which could actually fit people (why do they even add those seats in a coupé? They're just dead weight).

They don't 9, would be the max for seatbelts in a suburban type vehicle, eight if the front seat wasn't a bench.

I'm gonna go with the adults involved being idiots then.

A 15-year-old girl who was wearing a seat belt was not hurt.

^will never get in a car with stupid people again.

Very sad story. :(

None of the children who died was wearing a seat belt.

This is so very often the case in auto accident deaths, especially with young drivers. The idea of children whose lives are in the in the hands of others could be left so unprotected is simply unspeakable.
...and the driver had his on?

Too sad.

Agreed. It always makes me cringe when I hear stories of car accidents involving children dying or getting seriously injured due to not wearing a seat belt.:(