Small Texas community stands by man who killed daughter's alleged abuser

i think an easier way to visualize it for childless folks: if you have a favorite niece/nephew or even a good friend's child. and you come across this, how would you react? my reaction would already be strong enough, but my dealings with predators/victims and the repercussions on the victims would cause a blind rage without a doubt. In nature, animals protect their young with violence. i'm glad he rescued her. i'm not glad the guy's dead, but oh well.

i think an easier way to visualize it for childless folks: if you have a favorite niece/nephew or even a good friend's child. and you come across this, how would you react? my reaction would already be strong enough, but my dealings with predators/victims and the repercussions on the victims would cause a blind rage without a doubt. In nature, animals protect their young with violence. i'm glad he rescued her. i'm not glad the guy's dead, but oh well.

I don't think visualisation is all that helpful because you really don't know until you're actually in the situation. But if I picture myself coming across that, I see myself grabbing the little girl and getting her the hell out of there. If the assaulter comes after me, I would hit him with whatever weapon I could find until he was down (or more likely til I was overpowered, having never even slapped someone I would probably be easy to overcome in a fight) and then continue running.

^ I think you are right LS and it is difficult to imagine what your reaction would be in such a serious situation. I have a temper so I can understand how the father reacted as he was probably in shock and furious in that moment. I nearly went and slapped a bratty kid in the street when I saw him kicking at a pigeon! I just shouted at him and his parents instead. Lol. I don't know what the legal situation would be in the US for the father as he did kill a person.

I tend to think that when your child is being hurt in such a heinous manner and is crying for help, rational thinking goes out the window and something much more primitive and potentially uncontrollable takes over. I don't necessarily find that to be 'good' or 'bad'... it just is. I imagine that after seeing what was going on the girl's father not only wanted to separate her from the attacker but also make damn sure that he was incapacitated to the fullest extent possible. As Ghost said above, this isn't the movies, where a good blow to the head simply renders an attacker unconscious and then he wakes up later when the police arrive with a bad headache. That just doesn't happen in real life. The line between incapacitating someone and killing them is much more faintly drawn than that.

I tend to think that when your child is being hurt in such a heinous manner and is crying for help, rational thinking goes out the window and something much more primitive and potentially uncontrollable takes over. I don't necessarily find that to be 'good' or 'bad'... it just is. I imagine that after seeing what was going on the girl's father not only wanted to separate her from the attacker but also make damn sure that he was incapacitated to the fullest extent possible. As Ghost said above, this isn't the movies, where a good blow to the head simply renders an attacker unconscious and then he wakes up later when the police arrive with a bad headache. That just doesn't happen in real life. The line between incapacitating someone and killing them is much more faintly drawn than that.

That's true, which is probably why the law makes a distinction between accidentally killing someone, killing someone in a crime of passion, and killing someone in premeditated cold blood. It's all about the motive and intent.

when there is an actual strong loving relationship involved, it definitely ups the ante. if i saw a child being assaulted, i'd intervene and probably hurt the person as well. yeah, i would absolutely hurt the person. but, if it was someone i had feelings for, it would be on. i am fiercely protective of those around me, particularly innocents.

i"m just pleased that the local folks are supporting him. that's a true community. supporting it's own against evil.

Reactions: thefadedone
^^^ I agree Uno, and maybe it's because I've spent most of my adult life in wilderness areas as you have... but you just don't come between a bear and its cub. Even if it's entirely accidental and non-malicious, you'll pay the consequences dearly. It's just basic animal instinct. I don't find this particular situation to be much different except that there was malicious intent involved... so yeah, it's on.

I just have to imagine coming up on someone torturing one of my animals, and I know that a rage would come over me and I would head for his/her throat. Whether I incapacitated or killed wouldn't matter to me at that point.

It's the reaction I would have if I came across someone raping a child, whether or not it was a child I knew. That's why I have such a hard time fathoming the reaction of that guy who went on to become an assistant coach at Penn State.

I just have to imagine coming up on someone torturing one of my animals, and I know that a rage would come over me and I would head for his/her throat. Whether I incapacitated or killed wouldn't matter to me at that point.

It's the reaction I would have if I came across someone raping a child, whether or not it was a child I knew. That's why I have such a hard time fathoming the reaction of that guy who went on to become an assistant coach at Penn State.

people are scared of intervening.

years ago, i would run on a river trail in austin which was heavily populated. This younger guy in a wheelchair was asking passersby for help. Everyone he asked ignored him and i stopped and helped him to a payphone. i was astounded as literally 10 people i witnessed ignored him. this is the average person. if it's not their business, they don't want to get involved. not everyone gives a **** about what's truly right and wrong.

With that said, that would also be partly why i'd render pain on someone assaulting a child. i don't trust the system to do it's job as i've seen what can happen in the process. it's wonderful to think of the justice system as just, but it's not. there's a need for other means at times.

Reactions: thefadedone
That's why I have such a hard time fathoming the reaction of that guy who went on to become an assistant coach at Penn State.
I really wish you could like a post more than once... but yeah... WTF? You come upon an old man raping a 10 year-old boy and your first reaction is to leave the building and call your dad for advice?

Sorry for the off-topic post.

Maybe my posts would be better in the Unpopular Opinions Society :p

I just can't agree, but it's really interesting to see different sides of the debate.

I think everyone appreciates your posts, LS... maybe it's just that some of us are a bit closer to the situation than others.

I do appreciate your thoughts, as they help to temper my own, and I like reading them.

But I'd probably still kill the *******.

Reactions: Lord Snot
Maybe my posts would be better in the Unpopular Opinions Society :p

I just can't agree, but it's really interesting to see different sides of the debate.

That would perhaps change if your circumstances change. But, none of us want to see someone killed. but, it is what it is.

That would perhaps change if your circumstances change. But, none of us want to see someone killed. but, it is what it is.
You mean if I have a child? I don't think I could be any more against child rape/sexual abuse than I am now, and I also think I will always be a flight rather than fight person. None of us have been in this situation so I find it a tad patronising that you think I will change my mind but others won't. You may be right, let's just hope I (and none of us) have to find out.

people are scared of intervening.

Scared, or just can't be bothered? I've never figured out which.

In either case, I don't understand it - it would me much too difficult for me to live with myself. As it is, I find my sins of omission much harder to live with than my sins of commission.

You mean if I have a child? I don't think I could be any more against child rape/sexual abuse than I am now, and I also think I will always be a flight rather than fight person. None of us have been in this situation so I find it a tad patronising that you think I will change my mind but others won't. You may be right, let's just hope I (and none of us) have to find out.

lol. i never said just you. but i can tell you that having a child that you have to take full care of and worry about every single minute of every day would create a different thought process. what moms will do to protect their young is impressive. the same with animals. my neighbor almost shot my dog for killing their chickens and it would have been lawful. i still would have beat the guy up for doing it.

I can imagine I would be the same. I don't know how much damage I would do against a male attacker though if it was just my bare hands!

Nicely put, mlp. I think I'd rather go to jail for killing the man who abused my daughter... than doing nothing and potentially allowing it to happen again.