Should Men Wear Make-up?

Shame and heterosexual assumption are particular pet hatreds of mine, so those tend to be what gets me to speak up in a non-safe space such as this. Though please don't try to tell me that speaking up for those who are oppressed and fighting against those who would continue to oppress them is about me not being able to accept other points of view because that is a gross misrepresentation. When it comes to oppressed factions of society you are not a part of, it is of particular importance that you listen far more than you speak because you simply don't have the frame of reference to understand the minutia of those communities.

There would be some point to this post if anyone had said something along the lines of "Ugh - men wearing makeup - how disgusting." But, unfortunately for your outrage, no one did.

As to "empowerment" through makeup, that's a topic in and of itself - how exactly it's empowering to try to fit into society's norms.

I'll just leave this here:

amanda-palmer.jpg

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
I'm just gonna squeeze in some slightly incoherent thoughts on make up while I'm here. Mostly stories about my own insecurities.

- around the age of 19 I stopped wearing make up daily for around a year, I had a much more positive response from people as soon as I started wearing mascara again

- when allergies forced me not to wear make up again last year, I felt ugly ALL THE TIME and started crying at work because I felt so disgusting

- I get sad whenever I see rows of women sat slathering and painting on the train into work

- I love the ability of make up to express and empower

- I love feeling sexy when I go out in full 'war paint' or just pissing about with it at home

- my friend says she feels no pressure to shave, she just likes doing it. I say the same about my legs, I like having smooth legs. But since I've grown out my arm pit hair and loving it, I'm definitely going to feel pressured to shave in the warmer weather because I don't have the confidence to deal with the disdain I'll get for it.

- it is definitely within the beauty industry's interests to keep everyone hating themselves

ADMIN POST
I have split some posts out from the "In the news" thread to make this new thread. (I've probably missed a few, but this will have to do.) Please be kind to each other. Make it a debate about the issues, not about other members. If you don't want to participate, simply don't post. The person who has the last word is not necessarily the person who has the best argument.

I will quote a VV signature that I think is appropriate: "People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Reactions: KLS52 and Ansciess
I tried on some lipstick when I was 20, to see what it was like. I didn't like the feel of it on my lips...it felt like some of the chemicals were being absorbed.

The conversation didn't start this way. It started with someone posting an article about make-up, Amy not liking make-up, and then someone else saying that was "make up shaming." Then some more posts about it. Then mine.

The conversation didn't start this way. It started with someone posting an article about make-up, Amy not liking make-up, and then someone else saying that was "make up shaming." Then some more posts about it. Then mine.
Yes, those who are interested can still find it in the "In the news" thread. I chose your post to be the first one on a whim.

I understand, I just thought the context was important for this discussion, for how Amy was accused of "make up shaming," which was to me a surprising term to use, given what she posted.

Actually, Amy didn't say she "didn't like" makeup. She said it was stupid, that women are pressured to wear it to look desirable to men, and that men don't need makeup. That's shaming women who do choose to wear makeup.

As for the makeup on men thing, I think it's stupid. What do men need makeup for? It's bad enough that women are pressured into wearing makeup so they can look sexually desirable to men, but why would men want to wear it? All they need is some sunscreen to protect their skin.

Also, the original article posted was specifically about men wearing makeup.

I wear makeup because I like the way it looks and feels on my face. I don't do it in order to appear desirable to men (or women). My (male) cousin wears makeup because he likes the way it looks.

I also fill my eyebrows now because they didn't grow back in all the way after chemo.

Reactions: Poppy
These are my thoughts from the other thread :p

I'm just gonna squeeze in some slightly incoherent thoughts on make up while I'm here. Mostly stories about my own insecurities.

- around the age of 19 I stopped wearing make up daily for around a year, I had a much more positive response from people as soon as I started wearing mascara again

- when allergies forced me not to wear make up again last year, I felt ugly ALL THE TIME and started crying at work because I felt so disgusting

- I get sad whenever I see rows of women sat slathering and painting on the train into work

- I love the ability of make up to express and empower

- I love feeling sexy when I go out in full 'war paint' or just pissing about with it at home

- my friend says she feels no pressure to shave, she just likes doing it. I say the same about my legs, I like having smooth legs. But since I've grown out my arm pit hair and loving it, I'm definitely going to feel pressured to shave in the warmer weather because I don't have the confidence to deal with the disdain I'll get for it.

- it is definitely within the beauty industry's interests to keep everyone hating themselves

This isn't really related too much to feminism but I was a goth when I was younger and I definitely wasn't influenced by the beauty industry when I chose my make-up. I felt like it was my individual expression and I don't have a problem with women or men using make-up for their own expression. Most cultures have an element of enhancing your appearance and presenting yourself to society. I think it would boring if everyone looked the same and I like tattoos, piercings and other body modifications and I think make-up can be used in the same way to make yourself look different. I see men at gigs wearing make-up and I think it often looks attractive. I have nothing against people who don't like make-up or find it pointless as I've known many women who go bare faced.

I do think the beauty industry should show more varied groups of people and I don't like the fact that a lot of the advertising is based on flaws that you have to fix to make yourself socially acceptable. I think you can have reservation about the industry as a whole but still choose to wear make-up. One of the main problems I have with cosmetics is the animal testing issue.

I tried on some lipstick when I was 20, to see what it was like. I didn't like the feel of it on my lips...it felt like some of the chemicals were being absorbed.

I was like that when I first put lipstick on but now my mouth feels weird and dry if I don't have lip balm or lipstick on.

I think the expectation that women wear make-up in order to conform is unfortunate, but the practice of wearing make-up can be pretty cool.

I was thinking about buying some mascara, cause I'd like to see my eyelashes all long and dramatic. I express myself through my clothes in some pretty wild ways and I think I could do a lot with make-up if I wanted to/knew how. But it's also messy, so I don't like that...

I like make-up that empowers, that expresses, but I don't really care for the look of heavy foundation that looks like a mask. Maybe because to me that seems fake, like they are totally covering themselves up. I can understand why people would want to wear a mask though, so I can hardly fault them. Sometimes who we are isn't what the rest of the world wants. Maybe their make-up is just a more physical mask than other people's masks...

I made a light-hearted post in anther feminist thread on VV about how everyone is an *******. What I meant by that is people are mean to each other for, as I see it, no reason, because they are all pretty awesome people who disagree on elements of feminism. My ******* post was misunderstood by some people, so I'll be less sarcastic this time and say that I haven't lost respect for anyone because of their views on feminism in this thread or any other and I like you all. I did expect so much anger when I started reading this thread and it made me sad.

I hope that's not offensive. :shrug:

Reactions: Amy SF and KLS52