Should Men Wear Make-up?

There's such a strong tendency, on this thread and elsewhere, to take the position that wearing makeup is a choice an individual makes purely as an individual, that societal norms and expectations play no role in that decision.*

I can't think of a better way to test that than for you, all the men on VV, and the male SO's of the female members of VV, to wear bright red lipstick for the next several weeks. Lipstick is the most common and basic cosmetic, and a red one leaves no doubt that it's being worn.

It would make for a great social experiment about how independently made personal decisions about makeup really are.

*The same goes for the changing surnames upon marriage issue. No one's decision to change surname upon marriage has had anything to do with societal expectations - it's a mere mathematical accident that about 98% of American women take their husband's name upon marriage, while the number of men who change their name is so small as to be statistically insignificant.

But red lipstick is tacky.

But red lipstick is tacky.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of red lipstick, I don't think I've ever even owned any. I personally don't think it looks good on anyone, it has kind of a clownish feel to it. And clowns are :eek:. Of course, if someone wants to wear it, that's their choice and I do know a few women that love red.

That's why I said I personally don't like it. Plenty of people do, or there wouldn't be so many of them on the market. I also happen to like eyeliner on men, which others have said they don't like. It's just personal preferences.

Also, I think the clowns have to take some responsibility here. If they wouldn't paint half their face with what looks like red lipstick, it wouldn't stick in my head. :p

I actually really love red lipstick.

I cant wear that amazing red that I see around because I dont suit it but there are a few reds, particularly brown tinged ones or deep ones that suit me. I can also wear a kind of terracotta light red.

When I was 13 and in Junior high I was being bullied pretty much every day, it was like going to hell going to that school. I remember that when my mother went out for the evening I would go into her closet and put on her cocktail dresses and there was this one red lipstick that she had that I would always put on. I dont know why but it always made me feel better about everything.

Red-Alert-mdn.jpg

It was a similar shade to the one in this picture, third from the right, though it was a little redder. Or perhaps the one fourth from the left.

I cant see why every woman cant wear red, there is a red to suit everyone.
For example in the picture I posted in my last post, I wouldnt suit the lovely light red in the centre of the picture, but most of those darker ones would look ok on me.

burts-bees-lip-shimmer-in-shades-rhubarb-wate-L-sm4zW3-175x130.jpeg

I can wear the red at the top of the picture because it is brown based.

Uh-oh. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/02/toxic-lipstick-metals_n_3195547.html

Toxic Lipstick? Metals In Some Lip Products May Be Dangerous, Study Says
Posted: 05/01/2013 11:59 pm EDT | Updated: 05/02/2013 11:47 am EDT

Lipsticks and glosses may contain potentially troubling levels of metals, according to a preliminary new study.
Prior research has raised some concerns over the presence of lead in lipstick, but the new study is the first to suggest that many popular lip products also contain cadmium, chromium, aluminum and other metals -- some at levels that may be harmful.
"We looked at nine heavy metals and found that all of them were present in most of the lipsticks, but not necessarily at really high levels," study author Katharine Hammond, a professor of environmental health sciences with the University of California Berkeley's School of Public Health told The Huffington Post. "Low levels of metals may not create a risk, but as the exposure increases, the damage can increase." The results were published in the journal Environmental Health Perspectives Thursday.
The researchers looked at eight different lipsticks and 24 lip glosses, bought at drug stores, department stores and chain specialty stores. Prices ranged from $5.59 to $24.

I'm talking about bright, pure RED. I like other red based shades; rose, burgundy, mauve, wine, pink, etc, but red, red is too bright.

annered.jpeg

eta: better example
A darker shade (maybe a little more brownish?) probably would have looked much better, but this is way too bright. Her eyes are pretty though.

I love that shade of red too, it looks really nice on brunettes with pale skin.

I am kind of not of that colouring, I have sort of weird coloured brown hair which has both red and blonde and black in it, and olive/tanned skin. So I cant pull off such a shade. My eyes arent as dark as Annes either.