Should Men Wear Make-up?

As for the makeup on men thing, I think it's stupid. What do men need makeup for? It's bad enough that women are pressured into wearing makeup so they can look sexually desirable to men, but why would men want to wear it? All they need is some sunscreen to protect their skin.

Reactions: sequoia and das_nut
As for the makeup on men thing, I think it's stupid. What do men need makeup for? It's bad enough that women are pressured into wearing makeup so they can look sexually desirable to men, but why would men want to wear it? All they need is some sunscreen to protect their skin.

Maybe they don't "need" to wear it, but what if they want to wear it. I think it looks nice sometimes.

My male cousin wears lipstick sometimes when he's out and about, not because he "needs" it (does anyone?), but because he likes the way it looks.

Maybe they don't "need" to wear it, but what if they want to wear it. I think it looks nice sometimes.

My male cousin wears lipstick sometimes when he's out and about, not because he "needs" it (does anyone?), but because he likes the way it looks.
Ugh makeup shaming needs to die a fiery death.

I'm a huge fan of gender bending in general, though make up on a man isn't necessarily gender bending.

I think makeup is silly, on both women and men, and I wish women and society in general would get over the expection that women need to wear makeup in order to look "polished" or "professional." IMO, it's part of the emphasis on superficiality that society constantly falls victim to and that individuals buy into out of a lack of self confidence - so many women are actually afraid of being seen without their mask of makeup.

I think makeup is silly, on both women and men, and I wish women and society in general would get over the expection that women need to wear makeup in order to look "polished" or "professional." IMO, it's part of the emphasis on superficiality that society constantly falls victim to and that individuals buy into out of a lack of self confidence - so many women are actually afraid of being seen without their mask of makeup.

Which the media perpetuate, of course. I think it was on the People website that I saw a feature called "Celebrities Without Makeup!" Oh, the horror! :fp:

Reactions: Freesia
I think that it is nice for people to wear makeup, ie pretty colours but at the same time there is the expectation to wear it, like you dont have your face on if you dont.

I dont tend to wear it and I had a friend once tell me I should wear it to cover up my "uneven skin tone" ie my freckles. She seemed to think that people should all wear makeup because otherwise their skin might have different scars, dots etc showing.

I haven't felt any expectation to wear makeup, especially at work. I have known and worked with many women who went makeup-free and I used to work with a gay guy who wore mascara, eyeliner and fake tan. I do love nail varnish but I can't be bothered to wear it much any more.

BBC News - The sex manual for ultra-Orthodox Jews

I thought this was interesting. I remember the sex education at my convent school was an absolute joke.:fp: It was basically this is a biological description of heterosexual penetrative sex and don't do it unless you're married.:D

But, but without make-up, Dr. Frank-N-Furter would just be Tim Curry. Don't take away Dr. Frank-N-Furter. :cry:

Tim-Curry-as-Dr-Frank-N-Furter-frank-n-furter-3033578-417-452.jpg

Which the media perpetuate, of course. I think it was on the People website that I saw a feature called "Celebrities Without Makeup!" Oh, the horror! :fp:

And you know, some of those celebrities look better without makeup - the makeup just makes them look more like everyone elsee, and they lose the benefit oftheir individual beauty.

I think there's a big expectation to wear make up. I don't have any problem with make up, men or women, but I think the way society talks about make up just shows how much expectation is there. The implication is always that there is something not good enough about how you look without make up, rather than using make up to enhance or have fun with your appearance.

Although where I used to work there was lots of bitching from the other women about women who wore make up to work and who dressed up for work. They could be really catty, and that's really no better. I've also heard people with the best of intentions telling women "You look loads better without make up, you should stop putting that muck on your face!" and I don't think that's any better than telling people they should wear make up either. Either way the implication is that you should look the way other people think you look "better", and either way you're undermining somebodies confidence.

BBC News - The sex manual for ultra-Orthodox Jews

I thought this was interesting. I remember the sex education at my convent school was an absolute joke.:fp: It was basically this is a biological description of heterosexual penetrative sex and don't do it unless you're married.:D

Our sex education was pretty good and pretty thorough, and you could ask pretty much anything and get a straight answer. The only thing I was fobbed off on was homosexual sex. I was about 11 and I asked what people meant when they said two men had had sex, and was told to "use my imagination" for that one. I did and I got it very wrong!

But everything else was really good, I know all there is to know about every type of contraception out there, and I think that's really important because lots of GPs seem to think there are only the two types (the pill and condoms). We also did lots on relationships, what you'd do in certain situations you could be in (i.e. pregnancy). Lots on STIs. Yeah it was otherwise good.

The phrase "make-up shaming" seems like a hyper-reaction to me, to a critique of the beauty industry...

I like makeup. I wear it almost every day. I think eyeliner is the best. I really like being able to cover up my zits and under eye circles. Does that make makeup an inherently ‘good’ thing? Does it mean that makeup is feminist and progressive because I am feminist and progressive? Does it mean that the only possible reason I could ‘enjoy’ wearing makeup is because I like it, point blank? No. Of course not. I wear makeup because I grew up in a culture that scrutinizes women’s looks and values their appearances above all else. I live in a consumer culture that invents flaws and insecurities in order to be able to sell us things that will ‘fix’ our flaws.

So makeup isn’t really the best. There are many aspects of the beauty industry that can and should be critiqued. But does that make me a terrible person because I wear makeup? No. Does it mean I’m not a real feminist because I wear makeup? Of course not. But it also doesn’t mean it’s perfectly fine and awesome and that I shouldn’t explore or acknowledge the fact that I wear makeup because I was taught and bought into the idea that, in one way or another, I was going to be judged based on my appearance and that I’ve been convinced and have convinced myself that I needed to wear makeup in order to avoid looking ugly and sick.

I’m not perfect. No one is. But every time someone criticizes the beauty industry, do I get all offended and up in arms and pretend like I’m being personally attacked? No. Because criticizing oppressive practices and an oppressive culture is not the same thing as saying that I, as an individual, am a terrible person.
http://feministcurrent.com/5618/its-not-about-you-beyond-kink-shaming/

I like wearing makeup.

If some people like wearing makeup, that's their business and shouldn't be made to feel bad about it. They shouldn't make people who don't wear makeup feel bad about it.

If some people don't like to wear makeup, that's their business and shouldn't be made to feel bad about it. They shouldn't make people who do wear makeup feel bad about it.

I guess it's already been established that I'm not a feminist, though.

shouldn't be made to feel bad about it

If someone walks up to you and says "you should feel bad about yourself for wearing make-up," I agree with you.

If someone makes a critique of the beauty industry, including make-up, and you take it personally and assume someone is trying to make you feel like a bad person, I don't agree with you.

If someone makes a critique of the beauty industry, including make-up, and you take it personally and assume someone is trying to make you feel like a bad person, I don't agree with you.

Huh? Wasn't making people feel bad about their personal choices the whole point of that thread of yours?

Please read this quote again, and try really hard to understand its meaning.

I’m not perfect. No one is. But every time someone criticizes the beauty industry, do I get all offended and up in arms and pretend like I’m being personally attacked? No. Because criticizing oppressive practices and an oppressive culture is not the same thing as saying that I, as an individual, am a terrible person.