"Sexual racism" - is it really racism?

But if it's racist to discount a potential mate based on their skin colour, is it not also racist to let their skin colour count against them as a negative factor, even if it's not enough for you on its own to discount them?
Yes, I think it is. But then, I think most of us are racist to some degree.

I would very much wonder at myself if I met someone who I found otherwise appealing, but counted their hair or eye color against them as a negative factor - it's such a superficial thing that one would have to wonder what the basis for the distaste is.

Just to take this line of thinking one step further: if it's wrong to discriminate in this way against people of certain skin colours, then is it not also not equally wrong to discriminate against a whole gender? Should we not be open to the idea of finding a mate who is the same gender? (Or the opposite, for those who identify as gay?) So the whole idea of being heterosexual and homosexual is in fact discriminatory?

Just to take this line of thinking one step further: if it's wrong to discriminate in this way against people of certain skin colours, then is it not also not equally wrong to discriminate against a whole gender? Should we not be open to the idea of finding a mate who is the same gender? (Or the opposite, for those who identify as gay?) So the whole idea of being heterosexual and homosexual is in fact discriminatory?

I don't think it's quite the same thing. (Although I think that people who deny that they could ever be sexually attracted to someone of the same sex (or of the opposite sex, if they are homosexual) are generally fooling themselves.)

I think where it differs is that one can have absolutely zero interest in certain sexual activities, without it being discriminatory toward a specific group or persons within that group.

For example, I have no interest in any kind of fetish that I know about. Therefore, I would not be attracted to a fetishist. It's much like not having any interest in mountain climbing, and therefore not wanting to be in a relationship with someone who wants to go mountain climbing with his/her partner.

So, who would have guessed that the chance of encountering racists (or just general a$$holes) on an online dating site exists...

Unfortunately, racism, like speciesism, is quite present in everyday life.

We (meaning you guys discuss and I'll read the posts) should have a discussion about racism vs prejudice vs stereo typing.

We (meaning you guys discuss and I'll read the posts) should have a discussion about racism vs prejudice vs stereo typing.
I suppose prejudice, i.e. having an opinion about someone before you've even met them, and stereotyping, i.e. thinking that certain features observed in a member of a group is typical for all members of the group, are both prerequisites for racism, i.e. discrimination based on race.

Sometimes though, stereotyping is helpful to us. For example, profiling (which is a kind of stereotyping) is a valid police investigation technique. People also use stereotyping subconsciously in their daily lives. If I meet someone dressed in rags and old, dirty shoes with holes in them, I will assume this is not a wealthy individual, for example.

For example, profiling (which is a kind of stereotyping) is a valid police investigation technique.

People of Colour in the US might not agree with that...
In the worst case, it can make all the difference between being checked or shot in the head during a routine traffic check....