Sciatica

StrawberryField

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello everyone. I've been fighting sciatica for over 20 years now. It's possible that I have stenosis or arthritis. Since going plant based it has improved. I went raw for a week once and I remember the pain significantly reducing. What's interesting is that sometimes I get an onset of pain for no reason and then it would go away. Like getting indigestion. I'm starting to wonder if this onset of pain could be diet related and if certain foods could be causing inflamation. Would anybody here happen to know what foods to avoid to see if it stops inflamation?

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
Can't recommend a WFPB diet enough, for inflammation, or any other issues with health
The book Whole by Colin Campbell and anything by Dr Michael Greger
Greger has put together the Daily Dozen, a list of foods and servings to eat every day that will give you a days nutrition. This is the minimun amount of food, like 1200 to 1400 calories, so add as needed

He now has a daily emails to help keep you on track-

I have arthritis and can vouch for it--keeping as oil and sugar free as possible
I also mix tumeric powder with a pinch of black pepper and fill 00 vegan capsules (I hate the taste) which helps a lot

I had sciatic pains until I got through menopause. Really didn't eat this way till then!

If only people realized that inflammation is the basis for almost every dis-ease, 'cause of death' and even just simple aches and pains and that minimizing inflammation would make everyone live longer healthier and less painful lives.

well done @silva for your reply and your habits!

Dr Greger has just been providing youtube videos on potatoes and it is wonderful to see that although some have tried to tie eating potatoes to heart disease etc he showed that it is eating French Fries that it is the issue even more so than putting butter etc on potatoes. Just 2 servings a week of french fries can be so bad for us. The oil is the inflammatory agent.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Informative
Reactions: bEt and Lou
Glad ot help out Emma.

Chronic inflammation negatively impacts all physiological functions, causing an array of degenerative conditions including diabetes; cancer; cardiovascular, osteo-articular, and neurodegenerative diseases; autoimmunity disorders; and aging​

Chronic inflammation is involved in the disease process of many conditions, including:​

some other sources

diseases caused by diet and inflamation

Glad ot help out Emma.

Chronic inflammation negatively impacts all physiological functions, causing an array of degenerative conditions including diabetes; cancer; cardiovascular, osteo-articular, and neurodegenerative diseases; autoimmunity disorders; and aging​

Chronic inflammation is involved in the disease process of many conditions, including:​

some other sources

diseases caused by diet and inflamation

Legit. Thank you for posts, Emma and Lou.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
thank you, @Lou and thank you @David3 for asking for supporting evidence, my bad for not supplying it - people with type II Diabetes (overweight) are one of the most at risk groups for covid hospitalizations and deaths which is why the death rate in the US is so high, the country has very high comorbidities and an older population - here is a link to CDC re: disease/covid risks

Canada is not exempt from this although we do have a better health care system and still have too many overweight people as well.

According to the following chart, Canada is 65th in the world with 937 deaths per million and the US is 16th with 2775 deaths per million people.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou
Have you tried keeping a food diary? There are migraines in my family, and some people have found that keeping a diary of food and other possible triggers can be helpful to see patterns, especially since every person is different. For me with migraines I have noticed that often I am in trouble not just for one trigger, but more so when they compound each other i.e. getting overheated plus being sloppy about food/ meal planning/ timing plus getting poor sleep. I don't know if you could find similar patterns for your sciatica but if you could it may help. If there is someone who knows you well you could enlist their help-- sometimes someone close to you can see something you may otherwise miss ( we can all have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to our selves).

Reactions: Emma JC
Try finding an MD that practices "functional medicine" ( there is a web site that lists professionals by area, and there is telehealth too ).

That kind of professional would know the most about food and pain issues.

Please provide supporting evidence for this statement. Is inflammation the basis for diabetes, heart disease, and cancer?
Yes. Inflammation is one of the four core conditions that lead to disease, including Alzheimer's disease. See the work of the physicians, Dean and Ayesha Sherzai, with Loma Linda University, Dr. Greger, Dr. Lustig. There are studies you can follow up with to learn about the science behind the statement. Take care now and be well.

Yes. Inflammation is one of the four core conditions that lead to disease, including Alzheimer's disease. See the work of the physicians, Dean and Ayesha Sherzai, with Loma Linda University, Dr. Greger, Dr. Lustig. There are studies you can follow up with to learn about the science behind the statement. Take care now and be well.
I'm not sure about recommending Dr. Robert Lustig. He claims that blood cholesterol levels are not a strong risk factor for disease: Cholesterol Hypothesis | Robert Lustig Website

His opinion is contrary to that of Dr. Michael Greger, and to that of the American Heart Association:

I'm not sure about recommending Dr. Robert Lustig. He claims that blood cholesterol levels are not a strong risk factor for disease: Cholesterol Hypothesis | Robert Lustig Website

His opinion is contrary to that of Dr. Michael Greger, and to that of the American Heart Association:
His strength is avoiding added sugars and processed food. He's not denying the risk, rather expanding into the deeper risks. That's still a valid position, I feel. I know that cholesterol (and therefore, two copies of APOE 4, or APOE 3 and 4) is a risk factor in many disease processes. I don't see where he is denying that, rather expounding on the dangers of insulin resistance (that arguably, can be seen as the culprit behind everything) and as related, ingesting added sugar. Thank you for your comments. I really like these sorts of discussions!

Agreed, although all mainstream health organizations make this recommendation.
Yes. In part, because of his early work with obese children who were developing Type II diabetes. I think it's important to look at what all scientists are saying on a given subject/topic. They tend to work in isolation and it's up to us to see the connections between there work and form the fabric of the whole. Boy, that sounds pretty lofty, doesn't it!?

Thank you for replying everybody. Things have been slowly progressing. Through some advice I started trying intermittent fasting where I only feed for 4 hours a day and the results have been even more dramatic. To your health!