living with a meat eater

Anasam

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi. Could anyone share how they manage when a meat eater means well and prepares some vegetables or some vegan meal while simultaneously preparing a meat dish, and you can not but help realise the chances of them washing their hands in between handling the raw meat and vegetables was highly improbable. The worst is if I see this because I just would prefer the vegan foods to be prepared separately. However having said this I assume this may happen often in restaurants, where there is mixed handling between animal based foods and vegan based ones. Any thoughts or experience in how you may have dealt with this. I am trying to explain to my partner that I really prefer the washing of hands before dealing with the different foods. The hard part is when the person is so proud in preparing the vegan meal but they use a knife for the meat and then use it for the vegetables without cleaning it in-between. Just another example.

Hi. Could anyone share how they manage when a meat eater means well and prepares some vegetables or some vegan meal while simultaneously preparing a meat dish, and you can not but help realise the chances of them washing their hands in between handling the raw meat and vegetables was highly improbable. The worst is if I see this because I just would prefer the vegan foods to be prepared separately. However having said this I assume this may happen often in restaurants, where there is mixed handling between animal based foods and vegan based ones. Any thoughts or experience in how you may have dealt with this. I am trying to explain to my partner that I really prefer the washing of hands before dealing with the different foods. The hard part is when the person is so proud in preparing the vegan meal but they use a knife for the meat and then use it for the vegetables without cleaning it in-between. Just another example.
I think most people would clean the knife in between cutting different food items and in restaurants they always use a different knife for each.

There is nothing wrong with washing hands or clean utensils.
So both things should be encouraged.

However, I find fussy vegans somewhat annoying so balance hygiene with good sense.

Go ahead and keep encouraging washing of hands and clean utensils. Both of which are actually very good practices for vegans and nonvegans. I'm reminded that when the knives and cutting boards used to cut raw chicken can be contaminated with salmonella. Even lettuce can transmit salmonella.

However "cross contamination" is not really a vegan thing. Getting a couple of molecules of meat in your salad is not going to affect your health (unless it's contaminated with bacteria). or help any animals

Raw meat can harbor all manner of bacteria and utensils should always be changed or cleaned before using for anything else, for anyone. Restaurants could be shut down if caught using the same knife for raw meat and veggies.

I don't eat out very often, and they're the same familiar ones.
As far as cooked meat and veg handling I don't obsess as it isn't going to cause me or anybody else any problems. The only thing I do avoid are things like french fries cooked in oil used for fish or chicken and then only because I have tasted it and it was yuck

Oh, I do have to add that when someone is making an effort to include personal differences I will make exceptions. I've been to a cookout where I was assured they would have vegan burgers--then found out they were Morningstar bean that has egg. I ate one, and was happy, and some time after worked the qualifiers between vegan and vegetarian into a conversation. It's funny how some people are more likely to think vegans avoid gluten, or only eat organic!.

Reactions: Brian W and Lou
welcome to the forum - I agree with most of the above replies and especially cleaning when raw animal products are involved - you are very lucky to have someone that cares enough to prepare food for you - maybe the best way to approach it is to mention that the knife/hands should be washed after contact with raw foods even when they are their foods? that is just smart hygiene in general

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: PTree15 and Brian W
Thanks everyone for the comments. I will keep encouraging my partner and place reminders on how handling raw meat really does require more care in washing the utensils and cutting board afterwards, let alone hands. I probably have come across seeing too many short cuts in the kitchen which make me extra weary.

Thanks for sharing. I avoid eating in restaurants for several reasons. The food they serve is not organic, the food they
serve is not very healthy to begin with (loaded with salt and oil), the food is cross-contaminated with animal cadavers,
I have to smell/see/and watch humans smilingly eat their meals without any empathy. Disgusting.
I would take my partner to an animal sanctuary, let him watch Gary Yurovksy's videos, watch "earthlings" documentary.
And, say if you cannot respect my wishes (CLEANING KNOVES, etc) I will not eat the food you prepare as its' disgutsing to me.

Reactions: bEt and Anasam
Thanks for sharing. I avoid eating in restaurants for several reasons.
The food they serve is not organic,
Possibly, but not always.

the food they serve is not very healthy to begin with (loaded with salt and oil),
Possibly but not always.

the food is cross-contaminated with animal cadavers,
No, or at least not in the UK. Cross contamination is a health risk irrespective of vegetarian and vegan wishes, so if food preparation cannot avoid this the place will fail its Food Standards Agency inspection and could be shut down. Oh, and as I have told you many times before the term cadaver specifically refers to people. Dead animals are referred to as carcases.

I have to smell/see/and watch humans smilingly eat their meals without any empathy. Disgusting.
I would take my partner to an animal sanctuary, let him watch Gary Yurovksy's videos, watch "earthlings" documentary.
Your decision not to visit restaurants is therefore entirely sensible if that's how they make you feel.

And, say if you cannot respect my wishes (CLEANING KNOVES, etc) I will not eat the food you prepare as its' disgutsing to me.
If someone can't clean their knives and other utensils I don't want to eat what they've prepared either. That's just basic hygiene.

Reactions: bEt and Brian W
Thanks everyone for the comments. I will keep encouraging my partner and place reminders on how handling raw meat really does require more care in washing the utensils and cutting board afterwards, let alone hands. I probably have come across seeing too many short cuts in the kitchen which make me extra weary.
I cook for two veg*ns and two omnivores. To be frank, I find the simplest way of tackling this is simply to prepare the ingredients for the plant-based dish first and then anything animal-based afterwards whilst the plant-based dish is already assembled and cooking. That way even if I were to accidentally pick up the wrong knife there is no chance of it affecting the plant-based ingredients. Obviously it still requires a complete clean-up afterwards - utensils, pots and pans, worksurface, chopping boards etc. but who wouldn't do that anyway?

Possibly, but not always.

Possibly but not always.

No, or at least not in the UK. Cross contamination is a health risk irrespective of vegetarian and vegan wishes, so if food preparation cannot avoid this the place will fail its Food Standards Agency inspection and could be shut down. Oh, and as I have told you many times before the term cadaver specifically refers to people. Dead animals are referred to as carcases.

Your decision not to visit restaurants is therefore entirely sensible if that's how they make you feel.

If someone can't clean their knives and other utensils I don't want to eat what they've prepared either. That's just basic hygiene.
U.S. restaurants do not show the same respect to vegetariand and vegans. They simply cook as usual, but thats' their style. cheers.

I cook for two veg*ns and two omnivores. To be frank, I find the simplest way of tackling this is simply to prepare the ingredients for the plant-based dish first and then anything animal-based afterwards whilst the plant-based dish is already assembled and cooking. That way even if I were to accidentally pick up the wrong knife there is no chance of it affecting the plant-based ingredients. Obviously it still requires a complete clean-up afterwards - utensils, pots and pans, worksurface, chopping boards etc. but who wouldn't do that anyway?
That is basically how I prepare food and I do most of the food preparation. I do not live in the USA or UK and I would suspect each country may have variations in the implementation of restaurant regulations. I do not have disgust against meat eaters just a deep sense of sadness.

Reactions: Emma JC
the food is cross-contaminated with animal cadavers,
I have worked in a number of restaurants and I can assure you that to avoid salmonella contamination from raw meat to raw veg, chopping boards and knives are not used for both animal products and vegetables and we also have to be careful of allergen contamination. If you are eating a vegan meal, you will not be eating animal cadavers!

U.S. restaurants do not show the same respect to vegetariand and vegans. They simply cook as usual, but thats' their style. cheers.
@majorbloodnok said irrespective of vegan and vegetarian issues. Restaurants have to be careful because of allergies for example so I can't imagine the US being any different in this regard.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou and silva
Thanks for sharing. I avoid eating in restaurants for several reasons. The food they serve is not organic, the food they
serve is not very healthy to begin with (loaded with salt and oil), the food is cross-contaminated with animal cadavers,
depending on your location, it is possible to find a vegan restaurant that meets your needs. https://www.happycow.net/ is great for finding veg*n restaurants.

when I was growing up, my mom would always make a big deal out of making sure to wash your hands, utensils, cutting board, when dealing with raw meat. I find it disgusting when I see other people not following the same standards. It's not even a vegan issue. It's a basic hygiene issue.

Last edited:
There is such a big attitude comparing vegans and animal eaters. We see animals as sentient beings worthy of their lives.
Animals that suffer and are then slaughtered. Animal eaters are brainwashed (as I was) to see them as merely objects,
products, and FOOD. Its' a massive attitude of perception. I would have someone watch "Earthlings", and/or take them
to a farm animal sanctuary and let them meet the animals they eat. cheers.

Reactions: Brian W and Anasam