Emma JC

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I am not sure if we've had this category before, forgive me if we have.

I love making different dressings and sauces for my food as most that you can buy have more oil in them than I am comfortable with.

My latest favourite for salads is a cucumber/avocado dressing which is simply about 6 inches of cucumber peeled and seeded. Half an avocado and a clove of fresh garlic. A tablespoon each of lemon juice, maple syrup, and fresh dill (about 2 teaspoons if dry) and then whatever spices I feel like, dash of cumin/cayenne maybe a bit of paprika.

Spin it all in a bullet mixer or blender and add water to thin as needed. I added a bit more lemon juice because I love it.

Some of my other favourites involve tahini mixed with lemon/maple syrup etc.

Cheese sauce for nachos or home fries or potatoes is also a big favourite.

What are some of your favourites?

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
Yes. we did have that kind of thread. Hey! you even contributed to it.
https://veganforum.org/threads/wfpb-salad-dressings.2683/#post-12595
I don't know why so many good threads here wither and die. We all need to be more conscientious about watering and picking off the caterpillars.

I even started my own e-book on this topic and never finished it. But it would be simple for me to copy and paste the pages from it to this thread.

Maybe tomorrow.

Reactions: Emma JC
cool - yes I am not sure how to keep the good threads more visible

It would be nice to see what you have come up with so far.

Emma JC

2-Minute Oil-Free Balsamic Dressing

Prep time 2 minutes

Makes 2 tablespoons

Instructions

Combine all ingredients with 2 teaspoons water in a jar or Tupperware container. Close lid, and shake for a few seconds to mix well.

Ingredients
  • 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
  • ¼ teaspoon dried basil (or other dried herbs)
  • sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Creamy Cilantro-Garlic Dressing

Prep time: 1 hour, 15 minutes

Makes about 2 cups

Instructions:

1. Blend cashews and ¾ cup water into a creamy texture. Add cilantro, lemon juice, serrano pepper, garlic, hot sauce (if using), and salt to taste. Blend until smooth.

2. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Ingredients
  • ½ cup cashews
  • 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • ½-inch piece of serrano pepper, seeded
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
  • Sea salt, to taste

24-Carrot Gold Dressing

10 minutes | Yields ¾ cup

Prep time 10 minutes

Yields ¾ cup

Instructions:

Using a standing blender (high-powered works best to smooth, but regular blender will also work, just purée longer), purée all the ingredients until very smooth. Serve, or refrigerate. Will keep about 4-5 days in the fridge.

Note: Fresh ginger has a better flavor than dried ginger. Buy a few knobs and keep it in your refrigerator. Then, for this recipe, simply trim away the peel and chop a small amount, you need just a little. It doesn’t have to be finely chopped, as the blender will take care of working it through the dressing.

Ingredients
  • ½ cup carrot, cut into discs or small chunks
  • ⅓ cup water
  • 1½ tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 - 1½ tbsp tahini (use full 1½ tbsp for richer flavor)
  • 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • ½ tbsp chickpea miso
  • ½ tsp fresh ginger, roughly chopped
  • ¼ tsp (rounded) sea salt

Cheesy Caesar Dressing

Prep time 10 minutes

Makes 1 Cup

Instructions

1. Combine the cashews, 1 tablespoon of the nutritional yeast (if using), the chia, salt, kelp granules, capers, garlic, pepper, milk, lemon juice, and maple syrup in a blender, and purée until very smooth. Add more nutritional yeast for a cheesier flavor if you like, and add extra salt, pepper and/or garlic if desired.

2. Serve tossed into romaine lettuce, along with your choice of croutons, if desired.

3. Refrigerate for up to 4 days. This oil-free dressing will thicken after refrigeration. You can thin it by stirring in 2 to 3 teaspoons of plant milk or water, if desired.

Notes:

Kelp: If you have trouble finding kelp granules, the dressing is still delicious without them!

Milk: I prefer unsweetened, unflavored almond milk or soy milk in this recipe, but you can choose another plant milk if you prefer.

Ingredients

• ⅓ cup raw cashews, soaked for 3-4 hours in advance and then drained
  • 1−2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon whole chia seeds
  • scant ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • ½ teaspoon kelp granules (see notes)
  • ½ teaspoon capers
  • 1 medium clove garlic, chopped
  • Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Cilantro-Cashew Dressing

Prep time 2 minutes |

Makes 2 tablespoons

Instructions:

1. Blend cashews and ¾ cup water into a creamy texture. Add cilantro, lemon juice, serrano pepper, garlic, hot sauce (if using), and salt to taste. Blend until smooth.

2. Taste and adjust seasoning.

INGREDIENTS
  • ½ cup cashews
  • 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • ½-inch piece of serrano pepper, seeded
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
  • Sea salt, to taste

Tamari Vinaigrette

Prep time 5 minutes |

Makes 4 Servings

Instructions:

Whisk and mix with salad.

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup tamari
  • 1/4 cup balsamic or red wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

Tamari Vinaigrette

Prep time 5 minutes |

Makes 4 Servings

Instructions:

Whisk and mix with salad.

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup tamari
  • 1/4 cup balsamic or red wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

Mustard Vinaigrette

Instructions

Combine ingredients and blend.

Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup your choice yellow or stone-ground mustard
  • 1/4 cup raw apple cider
  • 1/2 teaspoon your choice sweetener (such as agave, liquid stevia, coconut syrup, maple syrup, or brown rice syrup),
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons water

Maybe more tomorrow.

Probably need to mention that all these recipes were stolen from various books and websites. I didn't provide attributions because they are in my notes and I'm not sure where my notes are.

Wow, great contributions!!! thank you very much @Lou

They look tasty and simple.

Emma JC

Why does it take 1 hour and 15 minutes to prep?

Emma JC

oh you know posting these recipes here IS a really good step. Just for proofreading.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure. (where are those notes?).

could be that the cashews are supposed to soak. Or it could be that the whole thing goes in the frig to chill for that long. definitely a mistake on my part for not including that in the instructions.

oh you know posting these recipes here IS a really good step. Just for proofreading.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure. (where are those notes?).

could be that the cashews are supposed to soak. Or it could be that the whole thing goes in the frig to chill for that long. definitely a mistake on my part for not including that in the instructions.

ah, that makes sense

Emma JC

Right now I'm thinking it must be that it goes in the frig for that long.
soaking cashews in cold water takes much longer. Although maybe the cashews are soaked in hot water.
I will endeavor to find out the answer.
Meanwhile, other forum members are welcome to find problems and give suggestions.

with summer coming I think we all (except for those in the Southern Hemisphere) are going to be eating a lot more salads.