Vegan Rocky Road

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
160 g Digestive biscuits
250 g Good quality Belgian chocolate (70 % cocoa)
3 tbs Golden syrup
140 g plant based spread (without palm oil)
50 g mixed nuts ex, roast almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts. I sometimes add more and less of the other
ingredients such as dried fruit or chocolates.
100 g maximum of either dried fruit, popcorn or sweets such as malt balls, honeycomb,vegan caramels, etc
A pinch of salt

Place the biscuits into a freezer bag and bash them with a rolling pin. You should obtain a mixture
of fine crumbs and pieces as large as a 20 P coin.

In a large bowl placed over a pan of hot water (bain marie) melt the chocolate, spread, golden syrup plus a pinch of salt. Be
careful that the mixture does not overheat. It should remain liquid and shiny. Remove from the saucepan.

Add the biscuit crumbs, chopped nuts and any other additions you wish.

(I added some candied lemon & orange peel (Waitrose) a few drops of Valencia orange extract, some chocolates.)

Line a 18 cm square tin with greaseproof paper (bottom only) and gently grease the sides with oil.

Tip the mixture into the lined baking tin, and spread it out to the corners with a palette knife. Cover or place into a freezer bag. Chill for at least 3hrs (or overnight) then dust with icing sugar and cut into 12 squares. I usually serve the squares straight from the fridge.

You can wrap the squares individually in greaseproof paper and freeze. They keep perfectly well (in a plastic container)
in the fridge for a few days. I never have any leftovers. :yum

Tips: Really good quality chocolate is a must. Nuts and sweets add extra crunch and make the Rocky road moreish. You can
omit adding extract. I often add orange extract when I add cristalised citrus peel.

You can also add a sprinkle of Maldon sea salt over the top of the Rocky road.

1600379142019.png

Last edited:
I have been requested to make a double/triple batch for Easter. There is never enough to go around to feed the guests.