Request for bean recipes

amberfunk

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Any type of bean or legume recipes are welcome, just please no lima beans. I'm trying to incorporate more beans into my daily diet to get my iron levels back up so I don't feel like complete crap all the time.

Cuban black beans have become my favorite. I make it in my instant pot. Add one cup of beans to one cup of rice and freeze them in little Tupperware bowls. I get like 10 servings and just always keep one in the frig for quick lunches or dinners.

The only change with this recipe is that I saute the veggies first.

I've started keeping a package of Field Roast Apple Sage Sausages in the freezer. and keeping just one in the frig. (I've accidentally figured out that the ones in the frig stay good for a really long time). I microwave them in a tortilla with mustard and saurkraut. It needs some sides. usually, i just make up a little bowl of peas and a little bowl of corn to go with. I just made this baked beans recipe yesterday and I'm going to be using these baked beans for a long time. Most of them are already in the freezer. They would probably be good as a side with other things too.

I guess peas are not considered beans but they are in the legume family.

The first thing I made in my instant pot was split pea soup. And it is my favorite. Now that winter is over I probably won't be having it as often but it's easy to keep in small bowls in the freezer too. It's good with a grilled cheese sandwich or even just a nice roll. Sometimes I find a loaf of artisan bread and slice it and freeze it too. It can be defrosted and toasted simultaneously. I don't cut up the veggies first and just use an immersion blender on the soup afterward. It is just so easy.

Reactions: Emma JC
I've actually made cuban black beans about four times in the last few months. Gotten tired of them. I made red beans and rice a lot before that and became tired of those as well. I haven't made split pea soup for a long time though. I also have not tired to make baked beans. I'll definitely give them a try.

I use my instant pot (I have the 3qt mini) to make black bean soup that's pretty good -- only I am unable to find it anywhere right now (except on Amazon for an exorbitant amount of $$$). Basically I follow the recipe on the back, minus the ham, and veg broth instead of chicken broth (sometimes homemade, sometimes organic Better Than Bullion). I toss in a can of stewed tomatoes, some chopped carrots, potatoes, celery, & onions, a bay leaf, Italian seasoning, a bit of cayenne, plus whatever veggies I have till it's about 3/4 full and set it for about 35 mins. I don't have the recipe with me right now, but that's the gist of it.

One thing that's super easy is to add "steamed" lentils to salads/bowls. The split red ones only need to be heated up gently until they're soft. I also get the steamed lentils from Trader Joe's, but I don't know if you have one of those near you. They're already cooked and you can eat them cold or warm.

Honestly - I love beans so much I will eat them from the can...

Do you like hummus? It's 90% chickpeas - super good for you.

@Lou - Had a burrito for dinner - teryaki veggies (mushrooms, zucc, bell peppers), brown rice, black beans, & tofu). :)

Its going to be salad season soon. I usually have some black beans and/or chickpeas to add to my salads.
Black bean soup sounds good. I haven't made that.
There was this place I used to go to that made a 7 bean soup. I would like to try that, too.
And there is always 3-Bean salad, too.

I do eat hummus just not a lot of it. I can't make it myself and I only buy a couple of containers at a time (a brand with no oil). Burritos sound good though. That black bean soup also sounds interesting. Same thing would also work in a slow cooker (that's what I have).

Mash drained canned chickpeas with avocado, lime juice and fresh cilantro or dill, depending on taste, then salt and eat on sandwiches or as a scoop on top of a green salad.

Canned or plain boiled pintos can be good if you dress them up with Mexican rice, guacamole, lettuce or shredded cabbage, and your favorite salsa on a burrito or tostada.

I second Lou in suggesting split pea soup, and I like simple mixed bean soups flavored with nothing but garlic cloves or onions, salt and pepper and rosemary.

You can thaw frozen edamame and snack on it, or grill tofu to include it with your bean burritos, salad or sandwiches.

I like to make mixed vegetable curries and you can add tofu or your favorite beans to those. Peas and chickpeas I tend to like best in curries. Like peas, potatoes, onions, and broccoli or spinach, or a root vegetable like squash.

I also throw chickpeas into my lunch pasta when I am broke. Literally pasta with marinara or tomato sauce and nutritional yeast, some garlic and or balsamic if you have it, then throw in chickpeas. If I'm really low on cash this could be my lunch three days in a row.

Also lentil soup and white bean soups are good.

A really simple soup is taking two cans of white beans, drain one and set aside, but mash the other into a paste with the liquid. Add a little water and vegetable bouillon and heat with kale, and salt, maybe add an herb you like and some sauteed garlic or onion.