Replacing Calcium & Protein-Dairy Milk

Veganed

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
  2. Vegetarian
I have transitioned myself down to just a diet of all plant based food plus milk recently.
I am now trying to figure out how to transition away from milk which seems to be a somewhat difficult step as it is such a good source of calcium and protein.
I like to keep things as simple as possible.
Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts that might be helpful for me on this?

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I have transitioned myself down to just a diet of all plant based food plus milk recently.
I am now trying to figure out how to transition away from milk which seems to be a somewhat difficult step as it is such a good source of calcium and protein.
Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts that might be helpful for me on this?
Hi Veganed,

Per the U.S. Dietary Guidelines for Americans (published by the USDA and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services):

"For individuals who choose dairy alternatives, fortified soy milk and yogurt - which have calcium, vitamin A, and vitamin D added - are included as part of the Dairy Group because their nutrition content is similar to dairy milk and yogurt.

Other products sold as “milks” but made from plants (e.g., almond, rice, coconut, oat, and hemp “milks”) may contain calcium, but they are not included as part of the Dairy Group because their nutrition content is not similar to dairy milk and fortified soy milk.

There are calcium choices for those who do not consume dairy products, though they are not part of the Dairy Group. The amount of calcium that can be absorbed from these foods varies.
  • Calcium-fortified juices and calcium-fortified plant-based milk alternatives such as rice milk or almond milk
  • Tofu made with calcium sulfate
  • Tahini (sesame butter or paste)
  • Some leafy greens (collard and turnip greens, spinach, kale, bok choy)"
Link: Dairy | MyPlate

Are some of the non-dairy milk alternatives not a complete protein source?

@David3, Good answer !

Simple answer - just replace dairy milk with fortified soy milk.

Soy has the closest amount for protein. The fortified ones will also help you with B12, D, and calcium. Most of the fortified ones are formulated to be as nutritionally close to cow's milk as possible. . Unfortified (depending on brand) will have approximately 9 g of protein, and 40mg (4%RDA) of calcium. Fortified soy usually has about 300 mg of calcium (20%RDA), plus B12, D, and some other vitamins and minerals.

I am a big proponent of soy milk. Normally, when I go to the store I buy three half-gallons. one vanilla, one plain and one chocolate. For the past year or two sometimes the store doesn't have all three. So I buy on-line 1 quart redipacks. Usually Silk fortified plain. For when I run out of the others.

I like the plain for smoothies, cereal and mixing with protein powder. The vanilla for coffee and drinking straight. and the chocolate heated up or as a base for a chocolate, PB and/or banana smoothie.

There are some interesting alternatives to soy milk now. When I can find it I buy Silk's Chocolate flavored Protein Drink. I think it has about 10 g of protein. Silk also makes an Ultra. I think it has like 20 g of protein.

There are also some dairy alternatives based on Peas that have a similar amount of protein. Ripple is widely available. Also two new products are Not Milk, and Next Milk. Next Milk is also a Silk product. Not Milk is from Not Co.

I've tried them all. Taste wise - drinking plain or with coffee, vanilla is my favorite. for cereal and smoothies it really doesn't matter what it tastes like so whatever...

Don't worry about "Complete Portions".
All plants contain all the essential amino acids.
Basically, if you are getting enough calories from a varied diet you are getting enough "complete" proteins.

soy does have a good range of amino acids.

I've found that the non-dairy milk substitutes vary quite a bit in the quantity and quality of their protein. You'll need to check the labels/nutritional info before you buy. "Vegelicious" is rather low in protein, although as I remember, it is tasty and its calcium content is good. "Solait" and "Silk" are closer to dairy milk in protein and calcium content. As I recall, all 3 of them are fortified with vitamin B-12. (Again, my memory isn't perfect).

I think it's better not to think of them as nutritional replacements. There are so many plant foods for protein.
But then I don't use non dairy milks that much. I use soy to make yogurt, and very little to add to cooked grains for breakfast
Check out the Daily Dozen of food servings to see how a pretty perfect day of whole foods plant based eating can be--

I think it's better not to think of them as nutritional replacements.
If someone was a vegetarian, and just wanted to eliminate dairy from their diet....
They would be best off with alternatives made from soy and or peas.

But if you are going from a SAD diet to a vegan diet, dairy alternatives are just part of the equation. You may not have to concern yourself with protein and calcium if you are eating a varied and healthy diet.

I doubt any unfortified plant-milk is a "complete" protein source, but protein isn't that hard to get. Older folk can have higher protein needs so I think older vegans do need to watch that, but I don't think you need to depend on milk for it. Unless you drink a LOT of milk, I guess. Calcium is a different story as milk is actually a really good source for calcium. Lactase-persistent people may have a greater need for dietary calcium than non lactase-persistent people, especially in later years, so it's important to drink a calcium fortified plant milk. I suspect many people simply wouldn't get enough calcium without milk in their diet, so just drinking any old plant milk may not be nutritionally adequate. Oat milk is gaining ground here in Australia as a vegan milk alternative, so this article about oat milk is a handy guide more generally. Is oat milk good for you? | CHOICE

Reactions: Stardust1986
I doubt any unfortified plant-milk is a "complete" protein source, but protein isn't that hard to get.
Per the American Academy of Family Physicians:

"Soybeans contain all of the essential amino acids necessary for human nutrition and have been grown and harvested for thousands of years. "

Link: Soy: A Complete Source of Protein

Per the American Academy of Family Physicians:

"Soybeans contain all of the essential amino acids necessary for human nutrition and have been grown and harvested for thousands of years. "

Link: Soy: A Complete Source of Protein
I cringe a little bit inside when I see the phrase "complete protein".

All plants contain all the essential amino acids. If they didn't they wouldn't be alive.

The concern people have is the ratio or proportions of amino acids. Yes, its true that various foods have different amounts of amino acids. But its not something we should concern ourselves with.

Like I said earlier: if you are getting enough calories from a varied diet you are getting enough proteins.

Below I've posted a link to an article which goes into it to a great detail.

One good quote from the article.

So when we compare the actual requirements to what plant foods actually contain, we find that basic plant foods aren't incomplete at all. They have every essential amino acid, in excess of what we need. It might not surprise you that beans are a complete protein by themselves, but even carrots are a complete protein. Tomatoes are a complete protein. Celery is a complete protein. Even iceberg lettuce is a complete protein.​

That is true. Do you know though if after processing into milk, the result is a complete protein source?

Edit: a quick search found this. I'll have to see if I can get the whole paper. Protein profile of commercial soybean milks analyzed by label-free quantitative proteomics

Of course soy milk is a complete protein source. I've just finished explaining why.

unsweetened Silk Soy milk. a cup has 80 calories, 4 g of fat, 7 g of protein, and 2 g of fiber.

One ounce of soybeans (cooked) has 76 calories, 4 grams of fat, 8 g of protein, and 2 grams of fiber,

Huh. it looks like it's about the same. You'd think the beans would have at least more fiber.

I cringe a little bit inside when I see the phrase "complete protein".
Well yes, but the idea of a complete protein source is based on the relative proportions as you note. Tomatoes may have all the essential amino acids but you'd need to eat a lot to hit your mark with a nutritionally adequate protein intake. As far as I know (which admittedly isn't much, I guess) protein isn't a big concern for vegans, but it isn't something to ignore either. A little while back, Francois Mariotti published a massive review of veg*n diets and nutrition, an excellent resource. Here is a recent paper from him on protein in veg*n diets. Dietary Protein and Amino Acids in Vegetarian Diets—A Review

Well yes, but the idea of a complete protein source is based on the relative proportions as you note. Tomatoes may have all the essential amino acids but you'd need to eat a lot to hit your mark with a nutritionally adequate protein intake
Yes you would have to eat a lot of tomatoes (or lettuce) to meet your protein requirements. but you would - even before you met your caloric requirement. There are good reasons for not eating only tomatoes or lettuce. but protein is not one of them.

Way too long and too dense for me to read. so I skipped to the end.

The conclusion appears to be what I've been hearing for the last 10 years.

Although uncertainties remain regarding protein requirements, the data in adult vegetarians (depending on the methods and criteria used) indicate that classic vegetarian diets supply more than adequate protein and amino acids.​
We recommend that further study on protein in vegetarian diets shift away from unnecessary questions about protein adequacy, to a comparison of overall nutrition quality and implications for long-term health with plant-based protein-rich foods vs. animal-based protein rich foods.​

Reactions: Stardust1986
Yes, that's essentially what they found. Section 3 is especially relevant:

3. Amino Acid Adequacy in Vegetarian Diets

It is commonly, although mistakenly, thought that the amino acid intake may be inadequate in vegetarian diets. As we and others have argued, the amounts and proportions of amino acids consumed by vegetarians and vegans are typically more than sufficient to meet and exceed individual daily requirements, provided a reasonable variety of foods are consumed and energy intake needs are being met. The claim that certain plant foods are “missing” specific amino acids is demonstrably false. All plant foods contain all 20 amino acids, including the 9 indispensable amino acids [33]. Importantly, rather than “missing” indispensable amino acids, a more accurate statement would be that the amino acid distribution profile is less optimal in plant foods than in animal foods.

Reactions: Lou
In regard to calcium, this is what Mariotti reported in their review, "Vegetarian and Plant-Based Diets in Health and Disease Prevention".

4.1 Calcium
Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the body, and nearly 99% of the calcium in an
adult is contained in bones and teeth. Because bone undergoes constant remodeling, an
adequate supply of nutrients is required to support bone health throughout the lifespan.
A review of calcium trials in adults found that 50 of 52 trials demonstrated better bone
balance with calcium intervention, greater bone gain during growth, less age-related bone
loss, and reduced fracture risk (Heaney, 2000). However, the BMD benefits accrued from
calcium supplementation were no longer evident 2 years after supplementation ceased
(Dawson-Hughes et al., 2000). Data from the Women’s Health Initiative of over 36,000
postmenopausal women, aged 50–79 years, supplemented with 1000 mg calcium and
400 IU vitamin D daily showed no reduced risk of hip fracture over 7 years compared to
placebo (Jackson et al., 2006). In contrast, trials supplementing calcium-rich foods have
shown significant protection against bone loss (Baran et al., 1990) and decreasing urinary
excretion of bone turnover markers (Heaney et al., 2002).
Low calcium intake is a key area of concern with vegan diets. Although several vegetables
contain calcium, such as leafy greens and legumes, the calcium from these
sources is not very bioavailable (Weaver et al., 1999). Vegan populations may meet calcium
requirements through consumption of calcium-set tofu, fortified orange juice,
and soy and almond milk products, as these do provide adequate bioavailability. Based
on available research, it may be most advantageous for vegans to attain calcium from
the diet, including from fortified foods, as opposed to using calcium supplements,
to maximize their bone health. Careful attention is required to ensure adequate consumption
of this nutrient.

Of course soy milk is a complete protein source. I've just finished explaining why.

unsweetened Silk Soy milk. a cup has 80 calories, 4 g of fat, 7 g of protein, and 2 g of fiber.

One ounce of soybeans (cooked) has 76 calories, 4 grams of fat, 8 g of protein, and 2 grams of fiber,

Huh. it looks like it's about the same. You'd think the beans would have at least more fiber.

Hmmm...that link isn't right!