US Religion?

Agreed, and there are vegetarian adherents within all of the world religions.

However, the Old Testament of the Bible includes graphic instructions for animal sacrifice (spoiler: the animal's blood shall be painted on the priest's ear and sprinkled on the vestments and altar).
In the early days of Moses, yes, but later, during the times of the psalms and the prophets it is written on a number of occasions that God has no interest in animal sacrifices.

In the early days of Moses, yes, but later, during the times of the psalms and the prophets it is written on a number of occasions that God has no interest in animal sacrifices.
Below: Jesus causes demons to possess innocent pigs, who were then drowned by the demons. He couldn't have chosen a less violent resolution?

Matthew 8:28 - 32

28 And when He came to the other side into the country of the Gadarenes, two demon-possessed men confronted Him as they were coming out of the tombs. They were so extremely violent that no one could pass by that way. 29 And they cried out, saying, “[a]What business do You have with us, Son of God? Have You come here to torment us before [b]the time?” 30 Now there was a herd of many pigs feeding at a distance from them. 31 And the demons begged Him, saying, “If You are going to cast us out, send us into the herd of pigs.” 32 And He said to them, “Go!” And they came out and went into the pigs; and behold, the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the sea and [c]drowned in the waters.

Link: Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 8:28-34, Luke 8:26-37 - New American Standard Bible

I didn't become vegan for religious reasons but I would be happy to stay vegan for such as I don't believe God created, intended or likes the existence of suffering.
1. God is omniscient (knows everything, past and future)
2. So, when God created the world, he knew that it would include suffering
3. So, God did intend suffering.

Religion has been used through history by those in power to control the ones beneath them
I have yet to feel compelled to believe in God, and call myself agnostic if asked. I do not see the appeal of 'believing'
I have never felt a need to worship to be a good person, to have empathy, to do good, to care for others. I find it very much something better done without feeling someone is watching and judging
With what's happening in the US now however, I am fiercely opposed
Pray all you want, no one needs to know. If you call yourself Christian and want others to share your beliefs, do it by example, not by mandate, not by showcasing yourself

3. So, God did intend suffering

I've seen similar statements form the logical argument that concludes God does not exist.

Oh, here.

(1) God is omnipotent (that is, all-powerful).
(2) God is omniscient (that is, all-knowing).
(3) God is perfectly good.
(4) Evil exists.

These four statements can not be all true.

• Informative
Reactions: David3
I wish there wasn't such a division. In the new testament it says to keep government from religion. Now we have charlatans running on the idea that the US is a Christian nation and should be ruled by the church.
I never tried to sway anyone to not believe. I don't feel I have any more right to dissuade as anyone else should think they should try and change my mind. A civil debate is always good, and no one should attempt to feel superior or right in their thoughts as there is nothing but what is in the mind to prove either way.
Be good! Too many self-identified "christians" are the worst people
I feel badly for those who actually live the tenets, as many here do, because they end up bearing the retaliation caused by those who don't.

Below: Jesus causes demons to possess innocent pigs, who were then drowned by the demons. He couldn't have chosen a less violent resolution?

Matthew 8:28 - 32

28 And when He came to the other side into the country of the Gadarenes, two demon-possessed men confronted Him as they were coming out of the tombs. They were so extremely violent that no one could pass by that way. 29 And they cried out, saying, “[a]What business do You have with us, Son of God? Have You come here to torment us before [b]the time?” 30 Now there was a herd of many pigs feeding at a distance from them. 31 And the demons begged Him, saying, “If You are going to cast us out, send us into the herd of pigs.” 32 And He said to them, “Go!” And they came out and went into the pigs; and behold, the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the sea and [c]drowned in the waters.

Link: Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 8:28-34, Luke 8:26-37 - New American Standard Bible
I have a theory about Matthew's Gospel because it appears to have, with all good intent on Matthew's part, been embellished a lot with attempts at showing Jesus' character through stories of his own, and they weren't always very well thought out. For example, how did Matthew know what was said between Jesus and the devil when he went alone into the wilderness? How come, when Jesus died, all the prophets rose from their graves and went into the City without causing a disturbance and long before the day for the resurrection of the godly? Why was he the only Gospel writer who mentions the wise men from the east?

I feel badly for those who actually live the tenets, as many here do, because they end up bearing the retaliation caused by those who don't.
As Jesus did from the Jewish leaders and their followers. If many who identify as Christian took to heart the scripture that says "Judgement begins with the house of the Lord" we might see a different picture.

Reactions: silva
These are strawmen, they are not Biblical. I really do get the impression here that you are scraping the barrel try to justify your hatred of Christianity. Maybe you should stay out of threads concerning religion and leave the rest of us to a peaceful discussion.

I didn't become vegan for religious reasons but I would be happy to stay vegan for such as I don't believe God created, intended or likes the existence of suffering.

I've seen similar statements form the logical argument that concludes God does not exist.

Oh, here.

(1) God is omnipotent (that is, all-powerful).
(2) God is omniscient (that is, all-knowing).
(3) God is perfectly good.
(4) Evil exists.

These four statements can not be all true.
There are some other possibilities:

1) One I first read in the writings of George Bernard Shaw: A Creator, or First Cause, exists- but this entity is neither all-powerful nor all-knowing. If someone's definition of "God" necessarily includes the qualities "omnipotent" and "omniscient", then in this view, "God" does not exist. I would probably still refer to this entity as "God".

2) Reincarnation, or Karma: our present circumstances are influenced by our (now-forgotten-by-us) past lives. The main problem I have with this view is that some (or many!) people might theoretically use this as an excuse to not bother with any sort of charity. I.e., a homeless person, a child with cancer, a fetus being aborted, a beached whale, a beaver in a trap, a stray cat and her several kittens in an alley, or anyone else suffering severe misfortune just needs to work out their own problems (in this life or the next).

3) If humans have "free will", this must include the "freedom" to make disastrous errors and deal with the consequences.

I'm not entirely happy with any of these scenarios either. But even if I were, I have no idea how I would demonstrate that they are actually true.

Reactions: Lou
Not me. With the exception of Jainism, none of the major religions (Hinduism, Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, Judaism, and Sikhism) seem to present a consistently pro-vegetarian message.
??

Hinduism seems very friendly to vegetarians and vegans. To quote one of those articles:
""My family and I have been pure vegetarians for generations. We refuse to even drink water in a home where eggs are consumed," Giri said as he dropped me off."

Buddhism is also at least moderately supportive of vegetarianism or veganism, but there are different subgroups of Buddhists with different views... some of which allow meat consumption and some which do not. The Buddha's teachings encourage vegetarianism or veganism, but are interpreted differently by different groups such as the Theravada vs the Mahayana.

Semi-related and tasty... how to make "Buddha's Delight" ... popular vegan Chinese food:

• Agree
Reactions: Kathy Lauren