US Religion?

They seriously should have known better
There are some religious scholars who think Jesus could have been a vegan. I don't have the knowledge to have an opinion on this (and I find the discussion to be totally irrelevant) but I think finding the ad campaign offensive is just too thin skinned.

• Agree
Reactions: Mischief and Andy_T
There are some religious scholars who think Jesus could have been a vegan. I don't have the knowledge to have an opinion on this (and I find the discussion to be totally irrelevant) but I think finding the ad campaign offensive is just too thin skinned.
When He resurrected He cooked the disciples fish... 💁‍♀️

Your name is so unique, how did you get it?
I have many reason for choosing the user name “Hog”.

First, I wanted to reclaim the meaning of the word Hog. The word Hog is frequently derogatory in nature. I think that the word Hog could be a compliment. I also feel the same way about he word “b1tch”. It should not be an insult. It should be a compliment.

Second, my avatar is an overweight redneck with a beer and a cigar. It is someone who might be called a “Hog”. Yet, I strongly believe that anyone can be a vegan. Moreover, we do not need a fancy life style or a fancy education to be vegans.

Third, I wanted to convey the message that appearances can be deceiving. All humans like farm animals are capable of experiencing deep emotions and empathy towards others. Thus, even a guy named “Hog” can care about others.

^
hmm. I wonder if Spanish Burger King's Advertisement and Promotion Department belongs in the "There Is No Such Things As Bad Publicity" school of thought.
It's possible that thanks to the Spanish Church they just got turned into a news story and a topic for talk shows.
Well the boycott talk could be a problem but there is also the "Hey, I didn't know Burger King has a Veggie Burger" conversation.

First, I wanted to reclaim the meaning of the word Hog. The word Hog is frequently derogatory in nature. I think that the word Hog could be a compliment. I also feel the same way about he word “b1tch”. It should not be an insult. It should be a compliment.

Second, my avatar is an overweight redneck with a beer and a cigar. It is someone who might be called a “Hog”. Yet, I strongly believe that anyone can be a vegan. Moreover, we do not need a fancy life style or a fancy education to be vegans.

Third, I wanted to convey the message that appearances can be deceiving. All humans like farm animals are capable of experiencing deep emotions and empathy towards others. Thus, even a guy named “Hog” can care about others.
1650496817425.png
What comes to my mind

But no one got to ask him and the bible was edited a few too many times. Look how many people think he was white!
Really kinda tasteless ad IMO, to even bring religion into it, but I'm American so :shrug:

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou

That was very thought out, I like your mental process... Is that an actual picture of yourself... I thought it was when I 1st saw and embraced it as unique and comical.
Anyhow, speaking of a fancy lifestyle.... How much do you invest into your vegan diet... Do you find it more or less expensive than buying animal products?

No.

At least in the US, the vegan subculture in my opinion has a majority of atheists.

I know about religions that promote vegetarianism, but I don't know of any that promote veganism.

The word "vegan" wasn't coined until 1944.

1650496817425.png

What comes to my mind
That's hilarious. I ride a harley, but have never been a member of the above mentioned group. Nothing against the group. I just get more for my money elsewhere.

As a guitar player, HOG guitars comes to mind. It's just a short slang for a mahogany guitar. Usually acoustic guitars in my experience.

As for the topic of conversation - I am definitely not vegan for any religious reasons, considering I am not in the least bit religious. To each their own though.

No.

At least in the US, the vegan subculture in my opinion has a majority of atheists.

I know about religions that promote vegetarianism, but I don't know of any that promote veganism.

IMHO, one could argue that atheism and veganism have some sort of common root.
both are non- conformist, unpopular points of view. Both require a high level of critical thinking, too. Just saying.

• Agree
Reactions: Andy_T and silva
This wasn't an easy question for me to answer.

I'm an agnostic, but I pray regularly to the Creator Entity (or Entities, if there are two complementary entities vaguely similar to our concept of Female and Male), if they exist, to thank them. My most fundamental belief is that existence is (*at least usually) an amazing gift, and that sentient beings appear almost universally to enjoy it. However, at this point, I can't count on anything beyond the existence I know. Therefore, I avoid killing animals or humans, except possibly as a defense against an attack.

*- I'm aware that some sentient beings, including humans, experience such adversity that some humans ponder that maybe existence is a burden- and some choose to die. I don't understand this: I would want to improve the conditions of my existence- not stop existing- and I would want to do this for anyone in my circle of concern. At this point, I don't think animals have a conception of "death", but my observations of even fishes and insects convince me that they would choose to live if they did.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
No.

Thanks buddy

The diet of the ancient Israelites was based on bread, cooked grains, and legumes: Ancient Israelite cuisine - Wikipedia. Meat was typically eaten only during festivals.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
  • Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
That was very thought out, I like your mental process... Is that an actual picture of yourself... I thought it was when I 1st saw and embraced it as unique and comical.
Anyhow, speaking of a fancy lifestyle.... How much do you invest into your vegan diet... Do you find it more or less expensive than buying animal products?
That is not me. I found the picture on the internet.

Vegan is far less expensive than animal products. I typically live on less than $2 a day on food as of recently. I can go as low as $1 a day.

Eating vegan meat and vegan cheese is rather expensive though. But, I do not have any cravings for meat and cheese. Thus, I can live inexpensively.

No I used to be a Bible Believing Christian strongly however I branched onward to paganism and connecting to nature. I feel my vegan beliefs are for animals and nothing to do with religion

• Agree
IMHO, one could argue that atheism and veganism have some sort of common root.
both are non- conformist, unpopular points of view. Both require a high level of critical thinking, too. Just saying.
I think you are dead right again Lou.

I think that eating meat is schizophrenic. I am not joking. The most difficult thing in the world it to tell a person with schizophrenia that he or she has this mental condition.

I also think that much of religion seems schizophrenic. I do not know the will of God. I do not think that anyone can know the will of God by reading any religious text. Many religious texts such as the Christian Bible are open to interpretation.

I have spoke to numerous atheists. They seem to be rejecting the idea of a God with a sense of self.

Last edited: