Vegan Quick Tomato Soup

Blobbenstein

Reaction score
In a cup:

Heaped teaspoon of vegan bouillon
Large squirt of tomato purée(paste US)

add hot water.

Difficult to buy vegan tomato soups in supermarkets; they all seem to add a bit of milk, or milk protein etc.

615%5C5000119118615%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg
mg-swiss-vegan-bou-150g.jpg

Reactions: Quiet Vegan
i bet this'd be really nice with a decent squirt of ketchup added, plus some freshly ground black pepper- to round out the flavours a bit.

if a person was in possession of a stick blender and a larger container, they could throw some canned kidney beans or chickpeas in too, and blend, to add some protein and fibre to the mix and make a slightly more filling snack. :D

I had it this morning, and last night with a Redwoods sausage sandwich.

I tried making ketchup soup, after someone called themselves that on VB, or maybe it was the name of their blog....but it is a bit too vinegary for me.

I had it this morning, and last night with a Redwoods sausage sandwich.

I tried making ketchup soup, after someone called themselves that on VB, or maybe it was the name of their blog....but it is a bit too vinegary for me.

yeah you can't use neat ketchup, but a little squirt adds sweet and tart and a small amount of spice, which can be helpful.

have you ever used marmite in place of bouillon? just a smidgen will add a lot of earthiness-a rich savoury 'body' to whatever you put it in- it's great added to the water when you're cooking rice, lentils, etc.

my favourite soup as a child was basically finely chopped onions fried until very soft, then add some dry oregano, dissolve a little marmite in water to cook some cook red lentils, and then throw in a can of tomatoes at the end- then whack it all in the blender. it took a whole 15 minutes and tasted like awesome. :D

yes, I have used marmite in things.....it's good to fried up with some seitan......but I think soy sauce is better for a lot of things.

I sometimes make a soup from fried onions, and tomato etc......soya milk gives it a stronger body.

I'm sorry, but that sounds dreadful. I could see doing it in a pinch at work.

For about the same price try boiling 1/4 an onion to translucence and add a tomato in the last 30 seconds. Drain, keep the water, puree, adding salt and pepper (or marmite as Jen suggests), and add the water to thin to desirable consistency.

it is an acquired taste, and i think more of a junkfood drink, than a decent meal. :p but then i'm sitting here eating basmati rice with ketchup and cold chickpeas mixed into it, under the guise of 'lunch'. so what do i know. :p

I'm trying to lose weight, so sometimes it's good to have with a couple of slices of toast, and nip off to bed, and hope that my body doesn't notice that I haven't had a pizza.:p

Reactions: jeneticallymodified
Im trying too, and I find soup is really good for that. Especially if I add a protein source to it, beans, lentils, quinoa etc...

untitlrd-png.2451

Anyone try my idea?

I've been making it quite a bit recently....nice with a marg sandwich.

This idea wasn't supposed to be some gourmet soup recipe. It was just supposed to be a vegan version of cup-a-soup, which I think it pretty much is.

Most cup of soup packages seem to have dairy in them.

untitlrd-png.2451

Anyone try my idea?

I've been making it quite a bit recently....nice with a marg sandwich.

This idea wasn't supposed to be some gourmet soup recipe. It was just supposed to be a vegan version of cup-a-soup, which I think it pretty much is.

Most cup of soup packages seem to have dairy in them.

:yes: It is more like a cup of stock/broth than soup. It's ok to have a snack like this in between meals when you're hungry or need something hot and soothing, I suppose.

Furthermore, it is far cheaper to make your own cup of stock than buying sachets which are expensive.

it tastes like cup-a-soup to me, or at least how I remember it.

It's best not to have to much bouillon, and add quite a lot of tomato purée.

Even quicker tomato soup ..

Place tomato in cup.

Add boiling water.

Marigold Boullion, btw, is distilled entirely from tears of divine happiness shed by the angels in heaven :)

I know that to be true because I made it up myself.

I'm curious about this.Is tomato puree the same as tomato paste?Cause I'm in the US and I don't think I've ever seen tomato puree.

I'm curious about this.Is tomato puree the same as tomato paste?Cause I'm in the US and I don't think I've ever seen tomato puree.
I'm not a tomato expert but they come in whole, crushed, stewed, purée, paste and sauce varieties. Paste comes in the really small cans and is not the same as purée. Pretty sure purée means the tomatoes are seeded and peeled and blended smooth. Not sure if it is cooked or processed in any way. Guess I never really paid much attention since I always use the whole, peeled tomatoes.