Hello everyone. The measurements are approx. guesses as I eye everything when I cook. Hope ya like it.
Vegan Clam Chowder:
1-4Hours / batch
30 Mins-4 Hours
- 2 Cups (1lb) Soaked Raw Cashews (4 hours set a side)
- 1 Cup Finely Chopped Shallots or 1 Large Onion
- 1 Bay leaf
- 3 tbs Fresh Thyme (Optional)
- 2 Cups Diced Mushrooms (frozen to “shock “ to make clam texture or fresh for a non-rubbery shroom.
- 2 Sticks Celery Diced
- 2 Cloves Freshly Pressed Garlic
- 2 Ounces Dulce (seaweed) Leaves (chopped or flaked)
- 8 Cups Steamed Diced Peeled Potatoes
- 1 Lemon Juiced
- 2 quarts Water or Veggie Stock
- 1 Stick Vegan Butter (Unsalted gives more control of the sodium)
- 3 Cups Almond Milk or any Plant Based Milk
- Himalayan Salt and Fresh Cracked Black Pepper to taste
- 1 Cups Finely Diced Steamed Carrots
- You can “shock” Sauté frozen mushrooms to make the texture more rubber-like to mimic the texture of clams.
- Drain and Puree the Cashews and Almond Milk until smooth then set aside.
- Boil then simmer Dulce and Celery together in 2 quarts water or vegetable stock for half an hour.
- Strain the Dulce and Celery via fine mesh reserving the liquid. You may discard the Dulce and Celery if you wish.
- Sauté the Shallots, Mushrooms, Garlic in a stick of Butter over low heat until the shallots are translucent. Toss in the optional Thyme.
- Gently and thoroughly Mix everything in an 8 quart pan, cook until hot and stir constantly to keep from scorching.
- Season to taste ,see if it needs some more Dulce stirred in
- Remove from Heat then Serve Add Nooch if desired.