nisith

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Grilled watermelon treated like a vegetable with savoury seasonings is delicious. Most of the water cooks out, leaving behind a tasty little "steak" with wonderful texture. You can broil it too; just make sure the juices can drain free (not onto your oven floor) so it doesn't steam.

Serve this with a baked potato if you like and something with a little protein, like Grilled or Broiled Tofu or Beer-Glazed Black Beans .

Other fruits or vegetables you can use: any melon, but you'll get smaller slices; any winter squash

1 small watermelon 1/4 cup olive oil

1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary

Salt and pepper Lemon wedges

1. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill or turn on the broiler for moderate heat; adjust the rack to about 4 inches from the heat source. Cut the watermelon lengthwise in halves or quarters, depending on the size of the melon. From each length, cut 2-inch-thick slices with the rind intact. Use a fork to remove as many seeds from the heart as you can without ruining the shape.

2. Mix the oil and rosemary and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brush or rub the mixture all over the watermelon slices. Grill or broil for about 5 minutes on each side. The
the flesh should be slightly caramelised and dried out a bit. Serve with lemon wedges.

Mexican-style meal: Instead of the rosemary, use 2 tablespoons of chilli powder. Proceed with the recipe, serving with lime wedges instead of the lemon if you like.

5 Additional Toppings for Grilled Watermelon Steak

Use in place of, or along with, the rosemary: 1. ½ cup crumbled feta or blue cheese

2.4 cup chopped fresh basil or mint

3. 1 sliced fresh chile (like jalapeño or Thai) 4.4 cup honey mixed with ½ teaspoon cayenne; brush on shortly before removing from the grill 5.4 cup chopped black olives

Last edited by a moderator:
I've made grilled watermelon before. I think I used tamari to flavour it.

Reactions: PTree15