Vegan Quick Tomato Soup

I'm not a tomato expert but they come in whole, crushed, stewed, purée, paste and sauce varieties. Paste comes in the really small cans and is not the same as purée. Pretty sure purée means the tomatoes are seeded and peeled and blended smooth. Not sure if it is cooked or processed in any way. Guess I never really paid much attention since I always use the whole, peeled tomatoes.
Thanks KLS!:)I'll check the canned tomato section and see if I see anything like that.But most of what I see around here is stewed,crushed,sauce,paste and the whole.I'll take a look again but I don't think so.

Thanks KLS!:)I'll check the canned tomato section and see if I see anything like that.But most of what I see around here is stewed,crushed,sauce,paste and the whole.I'll take a look again but I don't think so.

I've never seen it in any stores either. I just assumed it was a special UK thing.:shrug:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375674683.008010.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375674693.130951.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375674703.323722.jpg

Just a few brands I've used. :)

Of course, there's always the chance that tomato purée is different in the US and UK?

Reactions: Everleigh
you get tomato purée in tubes in the UK.

tomato-puree.jpg

No,never seen em.But thanks for the photo reference.:)

I also didn't find any tomato purée in a tube in the normal supermarkets whilst I was in the US. I bought a small tin and only needed a squirt.
You can buy them at World Market but they are very pricey at $2.99 !!

. I only pay 79 cts (€) for a tube overhere. I also buy puréed garlic, sundried paste and chili paste in tubes when I'm in the UK. All very handy when you don't need a large amount of a particular ingredient.

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/mutti-tomato-paste-tube.do

You can also freeze any purée that you have leftover when opening a tin - not very practical.;)

I think I use about a third of a tube for one cup of this soup, or maybe a quarter, but quite a bit.

I'm curious about this.Is tomato puree the same as tomato paste?Cause I'm in the US and I don't think I've ever seen tomato puree.
It's another linguistic convolution between UK and US English like the word "chip." English tomato puree is equivalent to American tomato paste. How it is dispensed adds to the confusion further...

Reactions: KLS52
Thank you thank you THANK YOU for this Blobbenstein!

I've been unwell for around 4 days now and have hardly eaten a thing. Usually I would have a cup a soup with a piece of bread to try and stimulate my appetite (no real waste of food if it ends up tipped down the sink!). As you say, most packet soups sneak in some whey powder so I just made this and was very pleasantly surprised. I used 1/4 of a stock cube, around a tablespoon of tomato puree and a heaped tsp of nutritional yeast.

Of course it's hardly cordon bleu but it's done the job in terms of getting me eating again. Yay!

I want tubes of tomato paste, dammit! :D I have to buy the little cans and since I use only about a tablespoon or so, I scrape the rest messily out of the can into a plastic bag and freeze it. Tubes would be great!

Reactions: KLS52
I want tubes of tomato paste, dammit! :D I have to buy the little cans and since I use only about a tablespoon or so, I scrape the rest messily out of the can into a plastic bag and freeze it. Tubes would be great!

You can find them in shops like Cost Plus World Market and boutiquey markets, and on Amazon. It's easy enough to get a large can, dollop it inside a flattened plastic bag in the freezer then consolidate them all in one container once they freeze. Or, you can use a tablespoon for whatever your recipe calls for and use the remainder to make Lahmajune, the finest spread in all of the land:

in a food processor mince:

5 cloves garlic with
3/4 tsp salt

then blend in:

3 Tbs crushed dried mint1/4 cup olive oil
6 oz tomato paste
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/4 cup dried or 1 cup undried chopped parsley
1/4 cup lemon juice

Reactions: ledboots

You should be able to buy it in WM.
I buy chili, garlic, sun dried tomato and plain tomato paste from Sainsbury's. It is very convienent when you only need a small amount.
I have found a brand which apparently is avalaible in the US. I don't know whether you'll find a stockist in your area.

You could also just put the paste into an airtight container and drizzle some evo over the top of the paste. I think that it would keep for a while in the fridge.:)

http://www.amorebrand.com/products/chili-pepper-paste

I typed in the Zipcode of the town where I stay in CA and the Local Ralph's stocks the products. This will come in handy, as I couldn't find any purée in a tube during my visite.:up:

Reactions: ledboots