Vegan Pumpkin cheesecake

KLS52

Love Is A Verb
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
From Tofu Mom's Blog (a.k.a. Tofu-n-Sprouts)
I have it in the oven now...it looks awesome! I should probably wait until I taste it, but I just can't believe it's not going to be incredibly delicious!
Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake
OK, this is so yummy - and perfect for this pumpkin-fall-holiday time of year!
Make the pie with your own roasted-and mashed squash or pumpkin - OR with the canned, plain pumpkin - either is fine.
Make the crust with any graham cracker crust recipe you have, or use a pre-made one.

There are so many good vegan cheesecake recipes out there, you may have already found one that is your favorite! I like the simplicity of this and how quick it goes together, plus it doesn't use 3 or 4 cartons of vegan cream cheese like some of the larger recipes do!
This makes a 9-inch or pie-pan size or small cheesecake.(if you want it more traditional cheesecake size,
done in a large springform pan, please don't try doubling this, it doesn't firm up so well when done in a larger size.)

Ingredients:
  • 1 box aseptically packaged (Mori-Nu) package firm silken tofu
  • 1 8-oz. package Tofutti Better-than Cream Cheese
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin-flavored or vanilla-flavored plant milk (I LOVE using So Delicious Pumpkin Spice Coconut Milk here, definitely try it if you have a chance!! But any non-dairy milk will work fine.)
  • 3/4 - 1 cup cooked pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 c. maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar (more if you like it sweeter)
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 Tb. fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • pinch salt
  • 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spices (or your own blend, however you like to flavor pumpkin pie)
  • 2 Tb. cornstarch
  • 1 (9 inch) prepared "graham cracker" crust of your choice.
(I use a standard recipe and sub vanilla wafers, which are vegan, instead of graham crackers. Sometimes I use graham crackers, which have honey, making them not vegan, but that's a discussion for another time. Arrowhead Mills makes a vegan graham cracker crust. And there are tons of great recipes in many vegan cookbooks, take your pick!)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a blender, combine the ingredients and blend until smooth.
Pour into pie crust of your choice. (If you have filling left over it can be baked in custard cups!)
3. Bake for 45 - 55 minutes until center is set - it will still be a bit jiggly but will set up upon refrigerating.

Remove from oven and allow to cool; refrigerate until chilled.

I usually make the recipe from Fat Free Vegan, but this sounds so much more flavorful . This will be my offering for our Thanksgiving table . Thanks for posting!:lick:

I had a teeny taste while it was still warm and it was good...I'm hoping it will be "really" good now that it's chilled. I'll post a pic!

I usually make the recipe from Fat Free Vegan, but this sounds so much more flavorful . This will be my offering for our Thanksgiving table . Thanks for posting!:lick:

Same here. Actually comparing both recipes there isn't too much of a difference except for the added flavored soymilk.

It looks great KLS! Was it as amazing as it looks?

Reactions: KLS52
So, here's the deal. It's delicious! However, it is closer to pumpkin pie than cheesecake and I would like it a little more cheesier. So I'm going to experiment and do it again...my work peeps can eat this one (I'll help, of course) and I'm going to make it again and add more cream cheese. I'll report back on Thursday. :)

So, here's the deal. It's delicious! However, it is closer to pumpkin pie than cheesecake and I would like it a little more cheesier. So I'm going to experiment and do it again...my work peeps can eat this one (I'll help, of course) and I'm going to make it again and add more cream cheese. I'll report back on Thursday. :)

I think that's because the cream cheese and the pumpkin are being blended together. So the pumpkin is over flavoring the cream cheese. I think if you blend them separately you'd get different results like the fatfree vegan one: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/11/double-layer-pumpkin-cheesecake.html

pumpkin-cheesecake1.jpg

Reactions: tim4343 and KLS52
Oh yeah. It does sound the same.I like the addition of maple syrup and extra brown sugar in Marti's recipe, and the idea of using Pumpkin Spice Silk sounds fabulous. My pie never looked quite as full as the one in the pic, however.

For some, the appeal is not using too much "cream cheese". Mine wasn't as high either, possibly due to the fact that I used a springform pan instead of a pie plate/tin. I'm definitely trying it again tomorrow night so I can bring it to my guitar group on Thursday.

Edit: Or maybe I should just try the one that thefadedone posted. :) I like the idea of the real cream cheesy bottom layer.

Here's the second one...as you can see my bottom layer is somewhat lacking. I also cut the tofu in half and used extra 'cream cheese'. I do like the taste of this one better but I'd still like to try the first recipe doing the same thing with the tofu and cream cheese.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351169822.571810.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351169797.174150.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351169797.174150.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 276
I'm going to try a third time..more cream cheese, less pumpkin. :)

That looks good...maybe I'll try that one instead.

Oh, sorry to hear that. I have tried "cream cheese" desserts made with cashew cream but they don't compare to Tofutti, IMO. I'm so glad it's available here.