Nutrition & Diet Protein complementation

ok, seriously, this is the best non-meat loaf I've ever made, by Dreena Burton! It's her No-fu loaf....excellent, excellent! And, you don't even know there are lentils in it. One of our non veg friends loves this when he comes over too! http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2012/04/dreenas-no-fu-love-loaf.html

Oh, this looks good, and I have most of the ingredients.

I don't eat a lot of beans or legumes, and I don't think I'm lysine deficient. After all these years I'm not going to worry about it or take a supplement. I'm sure I would be dead or seriously ill by now if I haven't been getting enough.

I don't know why but I just don't get excited about protein rich foods in the same way as I do carb heavy foods.

I love soup with quinoa.

Do you cook the quinoa beforehand or just cook it in the soup? That is probably a good way of sneaking more protein into my meals, adding it to soups and stews.:)

it could be done either way Moll. Just make sure you have enough extra liquid in the soup to cook the quinoa with, about twice as much liquid as the amt of quinoa you put in dry, or it could be added already cooked, if you have leftovers!

ok, seriously, this is the best non-meat loaf I've ever made, by Dreena Burton! It's her No-fu loaf....excellent, excellent! And, you don't even know there are lentils in it. One of our non veg friends loves this when he comes over too! http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2012/04/dreenas-no-fu-love-loaf.html

I will have to try that. I've tried to make a few other lentil loaves and wasn't impressed.

I do try to eat lysine-rich foods but like to have the pills as backup if I don't feel like eating beans. I actually have several different bean meals in the freezer because I don't have time to cook daily so I make huge batches when I do.

I've been eating chili for two weeks now...I think I'm done. I need to find new ways of eating them. I love lentils with pasta. Or pasta with peas. Maybe I'll try and find a good vegan pasta faglioli recipe.

I have one I got from a magazine. It's either vegan or was easily made vegan I don't remember but it was good. I will post it here tomorrow as I'm about ready to fall out of my chair at this point, and still have to take the garbage out as I asked the dog and he said no. :p

Reactions: KLS52
I have one I got from a magazine. It's either vegan or was easily made vegan I don't remember but it was good. I will post it here tomorrow as I'm about ready to fall out of my chair at this point, and still have to take the garbage out as I asked the dog and he said no. :p
I just like saying "pasta faglioli" all dramatically so I will make it for that reason. I love the sound of the Italian language and wish I spoke it. :)

Reactions: KLS52
Pasta Fagioli

So the recipe wasn't vegan but made that way easy enough.

Pour about 5 Tbsp olive oil in large pot over med-high heat. Slice 1 clove of garlic and 1 yellow onion and add to the pot, cooking 5-7 minutes until it gets carmelized.

Add 3-1/2 C water, 2 C marinara sauce, 1 chopped carrot, 1 chopped rib of celery including leaves, 1 can of cannellini beans (rinsed and drained), 2 boullion cubes, 1 large fresh basil leaf (I didn't use fresh) and for some heat 2 dried crushed pepperoncini peppers or a pinch of red pepper flakes.

Put the lid on loosely, to allow a little heat to escape, and cook on medium for about 35 minutes. Stir every 10 minutes or so to make sure it's getting nice and thick. While the sauce is reducing, cook 1 lb of pasta to al dente. Drain pasta and pour it into pot of sauce. Turn off heat and stir until pasta is well coated. Top with 1/4 C fresh chopped parsley and grated pecorino Romano. Buonissimo! :p

*Instead of canned beans, you can soak 1 C of dried beans overnight, then cook according to directions on bag. Even cheaper!

So to veganize it all I did was use veg boullion instead of chicken and skipped the cheese. This was one of several recipes sent in by Depression era grandmas to the magazine. Many were vegan or easy to veganize since meatless meals were in back then. This lady was obviously very Italian. Clara Cannucciari, 94 years old. I like old people. :p

It was very good cheeseless. My non-veg family liked it.

Reactions: ledboots
Thanks for the recipe, Wolfie! Sounds good and I will try it.

I like old people, too. :)