Complete protein sources

Lou

Master
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Ok, first I hate that the media is still pushing the Complete Protein Myth.

And this statement from the beginning of the article is at least partly false.
"However, many plant sources of protein are too low in or missing one or more of these essential amino acids. They're considered incomplete protein sources."

The next sentence was a good one.
"Still, given that plant foods contain varying amounts of amino acids, you can manage to get enough of each essential amino acid throughout the day by eating a varied diet."

And then this line sort of saves the day
"For example, grains like rice are too low in lysine to be considered a complete source of protein. Yet, by also eating lentils or beans, which are higher in lysine, throughout the day, you can be sure to obtain all nine essential amino acids."

This is the point of the whole article.
"Nevertheless, some people like knowing they're getting complete proteins in a particular meal."

And the factual info in the article is good.

blazebusiness

Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
You are right, it is tiresome that they keep pushing the insufficient protein thing. This must stem from an anti-vegan agenda or something. You would have to be eating a very limited monotrophic vegan diet to be low on any one amino acid. Vegan diets are usually quite the opposite than monotrophic. Most vegans eat a greatly varied diet.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou

Lou

Master
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
You are right, it is tiresome that they keep pushing the insufficient protein thing. This must stem from an anti-vegan agenda or something. You would have to be eating a very limited monotrophic vegan diet to be low on any one amino acid. Vegan diets are usually quite the opposite than monotrophic. Most vegans eat a greatly varied diet.

I agree but I don't think the protein myth is necessarily an anti-vegan thing. I think a lot of it comes from the billion-dollar supplement industry that targets way more regular people than vegans. When I talk about nutrition with the guys at the gym, most of them are concerned with the amount of protein they get. The meat/milk/egg industries are also to blame. They are always touting the benefits of protein.

Reactions: Emma JC

blazebusiness

Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Your probably right........ and your buddies at the gym are proof that even non-vegans are concerned that they may be undereating that Protein Macro - even on their standard american diet.

And, while we are on that subject----you certainly can undereat or overeat any Macro Nutrient percentage(Carb/Protein/Fat) on any style of diet. Funny how protein gets such attention.