Presidential Debate Discussion Thread

We love to talk **** about those third world countries that hold a fake election and some dictator manages to get %100 of the votes. The difference here is fairly subtle, and I suppose I can take some comfort in the fact that the president doesn't have a fraction of the power that most people give him credit for, and is thus only partially responsible for many of the things that get blamed on him. Wanna know who the real culprits are? Don't look at Bush or Obama, look in the mirror. If you don't see a problem, then by all means vote for the prettiest face you saw on the rigged reality T.V. show known as a presidential debate :)

Reactions: cornsail
It's not just his policies on women. Minorities, LGBT people, people on benefits, the lower class... they'll all suffer. He said last night that he wanted to encourage people to get married before having children because that's basically the only way a child will have a decent family life. That's insulting to so many people - single mothers, same-sex couples (because Romney doesn't think they should be married), people in loving relationships with children who just don't want to get married but are perfectly happy... all sub-par families according to that man.

Yep, not only will the not have a decent life, but they will turn into gun toting hoodlums! Damn gay couples having kids who will just become gangstas!:rolleyes:

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
They would constantly interrupt their "rivals" in the middle of conversation. No manners shown by either candidate. They would frequently refuse to directly answer the question they were asked. It is embarassing watching these debates sometimes.

We love to talk **** about those third world countries that hold a fake election and some dictator manages to get %100 of the votes. The difference here is fairly subtle, and I suppose I can take some comfort in the fact that the president doesn't have a fraction of the power that most people give him credit for, and is thus only partially responsible for many of the things that get blamed on him. Wanna know who the real culprits are? Don't look at Bush or Obama, look in the mirror. If you don't see a problem, then by all means vote for the prettiest face you saw on the rigged reality T.V. show known as a presidential debate :)

Yea, it's big joke. We have two parties in power, who are essentially two sides of the same coin. It's not really democracy...oops, I mean Republic when you only have a choice between two candidates anyway. In fact, IMO, our gov't is really just an oligarchy in disguise.

In any given election they have a 50% chance of being elected, all other factors held constant. That's why neither party is responsive to the public which they are supposed to serve.

Maybe I will ask my manager if I can have new reduced hours at work, since Romney thinks women need to be home in time to make dinner. Of course, going part time would mean I couldn't afford to pay my mortgage, and I would have no health insurance, but those things don't really matter as long as the menfolk have their dinner cooked for them.
:rolleyes:

[quote="AeryFairy, post: 48275, member: 91

With regards to immigration policy, Romney said that the children of illegal immigrants could join the military and get citizenship. I nearly threw my pizza at the screen.
[/quote]
I didn't, I turned to my husband and said,"That's how my grandfather got citizenship. He joined the US navy at 17 during WWI, and was awarded citizenship. :)

Romney thinks women need to be home in time to make dinner

That was the part of that exchange that really stuck out for me. I don't understand why folks picked up on "binders full of women" instead.

Criticizing Romney around here feels mostly like beating the proverbial dead horse, since there is few or none that believes otherwise.

It seems as if people dislike Romney more than they like Obama.

I like Obama very much. I was a campaign worker for him last time, and would have been again this time, except that my current schedule with no backup for animal care makes it impossible.

That said, he's a centrist and I am considerably to the left of him on the political spectrum. But I also realize that this is not a left leaning nation.

Reactions: thefadedone
I like Obama very much.
I hear a lot of corporations like him as well. Is he on the side of Corporations who give him millions in donations, or is he on the side of the average citizen whose interests usually conflict with those of the corporation?

Dems can get excited again, this was the performance Obama needed. Seems the spoiled rich kid Romney doesn't like to be challenged - and as such Obama had him on his heels from the onset. I realize I'm biased - but strictly on the basis of character I don't see how anyone can see Romney as even remotely likable. He just hasn't a sincere bone in his body. The President buried Romney in the discussion of Libya, (where Republicans expected to exploit weakness in the administration) and to top it off Romney threw some extra dirt on himself by challenging the President's correct assertion that he had called the Benghazi incident an act of terror the very next day.

Cheers to moderator Candy Crowley for doing her best to corral in these two - and for having the guts / self-confidence to confirm Obama's 'act of terror' statement - thereby reducing Gov Romeny to ashes. BOO YA, Mitt for brains! As debates go - this was one for the history books. That moment and many others.

I hear a lot of corporations like him as well. Is he on the side of Corporations who give him millions in donations, or is he on the side of the average citizen whose interests usually conflict with those of the corporation?

I'd love to have a productive discussion with you, but based on prior experience, I am quite, quite certain that that is not possible, and my name is not Quixote.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
Dems can get excited again, this was the performance Obama needed. Seems the spoiled rich kid Romney doesn't like to be challenged - and as such Obama had him on his heels from the onset. I realize I'm biased - but strictly on the basis of character I don't see how anyone can see Romney as even remotely likable. He just hasn't a sincere bone in his body. The President buried Romney in the discussion of Libya, (where Republicans expected to exploit weakness in the administration) and to top it off Romney threw some extra dirt on himself by challenging the President's correct assertion that he had called the Benghazi incident an act of terror the very next day.

Cheers to moderator Candy Crowley for doing her best to corral in these two - and for having the guts / self-confidence to confirm Obama's 'act of terror' statement - thereby reducing Gov Romeny to ashes. BOO YA, Mitt for brains! As debates go - this was one for the history books. That moment and many others.

Unfortunately bias does indeed change the way we view things a lot. I've got quite a few friends and relatives in the Romney crowd and they all seem to feel that Romney took the debate. Being anti major party myself, my bias caused me to feel that they both came off looking like they lost :p

Tricky thing, perception is.