Presidential Debate Discussion Thread

From Woodrow Wilson to the present, Carter is the only Democratic President to keep us out of war and even with him you could argue otherwise. The love of war is just as much a characteristic of the left as it is the right as far as Presidents go.
I'm not sure that is a fair argument. Just because a president has declared war doesn't mean he loves war. Sometimes the president's hand is more or less forced by circumstances. British PM Neville Chamberlain was derided for not declaring war or at least being a bit more aggressive when dealing with the ambitious German Führer in 1938.

Reactions: thefadedone
I'm not sure that is a fair argument. Just because a president has declared war doesn't mean he loves war. Sometimes the president's hand is more or less forced by circumstances. British PM Neville Chamberlain was derided for not declaring war or at least being a bit more aggressive when dealing with the ambitious German Führer in 1938.
What are examples of Democrats who have had war forced upon them? I can't think of even one example.