Presidential Debate Discussion Thread

Too bad some of the more interesting candidates weren't invited. I would love to hear some of the underdogs get in on the debates whether they have a chance of winning or not. I suppose it's all about ratings though, and most people only wanna see the celebrities bickering at each other. Doesn't really matter what points they make, so long as your favorite wins so you can go to some on the other team and say "omg in your face, your guy got served lol!!!"

Except "favorites" sometimes means "oh God help us please don't allow him to win he will make the lives of so many people a living hell because he's too stupid to understand anything he says".

Implying that it's not "oh God help us please don't allow him to win he will make the lives of so many people a living hell because I'm too stupid to understand anything he says"

Too bad some of the more interesting candidates weren't invited. I would love to hear some of the underdogs get in on the debates whether they have a chance of winning or not. I suppose it's all about ratings though, and most people only wanna see the celebrities bickering at each other. Doesn't really matter what points they make, so long as your favorite wins so you can go to some on the other team and say "omg in your face, your guy got served lol!!!"
Candidates in the other parties generally oppose the Democrats and Republicans, and may talk about issues that aren't being addressed(the human overpopulation problem, for instance). The Democrats and Republicans have worked together to insure this doesn't happen. It doesn't make sense from a rational person's standpoint, but neither parties are rational so it makes sense from their perspective.

What are some of the racially insensitive comments Biden has made in the past? It's odd that the media would be so quiet about them, and even more strange that Ryan didn't bring them up in the debate.

If one simply looks up the words "Romney" and "racist comments" one can find a truckload.

Perhaps Biden isn't an awesome person (I don't know much about him, so I couldn't tell you for sure) but even if he was going around slapping babies he'd still be a better VP than Paul Ryan.

Reactions: Dedalus
What are some of the racially insensitive comments Biden has made in the past? It's odd that the media would be so quiet about them

The only accusation I know of is Biden's use of the verb "shackled". What's odd about the media coverage is that it got any at all. It was so obviously FOX News/Drudge Report fake outrage it's embarrassing that anyone outside the conservative bubble universe paid it any attention.

I just Googled a bit, from the looks of it nearly the entirety of coverage about Biden and race exists in the above mentioned conservative bubble universe. Most of the coverage from outside this alternate reality is coverage of how it's being covered inside the red state fantasy world.

Another good one, in my opinion. Obama seems to have regained the slight advantage in a few swing states (including Florida!). Called Romney out on a fair few things, including his tax plan (again, with good reason), his policies on women (with particular regards to health), energy, and education.

Highlights:

Romney said he was given a "binder full of women" to choose from for his cabinet. The internet finds this amusing. http://bindersfullofwomen.tumblr.com

There was a bit of a confrontation near the middle, with both candidates talking over each other. Romney said "You'll get your chance in a minute, I'm speaking."

With regards to immigration policy, Romney said that the children of illegal immigrants could join the military and get citizenship. I nearly threw my pizza at the screen.

The moderator actually corrected Romney when he tried the 'Obama did not call Libya a terrorist attack' spiel. She quoted Obama, after Obama said Romney should check the speech transcript. Audience applauded... Romney maintained he was right AFTER that, and even after the end of the debate his campaign is maintaining that they are right. Not smart.

In other debate news, Jill Stein, the Green Party candidate, was arrested for protesting the debate. Story here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...arty_n_1971960.html?utm_hp_ref=elections-2012

Transcript: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/16/u...bate-in-hempstead-ny.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
Fact check: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1012/82505.html

tumblr_mc0n9qrW4q1rj8amio1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mc0lkiWVPn1rg2rf7o1_500.gif

Im not really up on Politics (and can be corrected if Im wrong here) but Romney says hes going to put more women into work and have more places for women in Government...well ok but isnt he also wanting to cut funding for PP and female cancer screenings....Why on Earth do people like him. Hes a creep!

Im not really up on Politics (and can be corrected if Im wrong here) but Romney says hes going to put more women into work and have more places for women in Government...well ok but isnt he also wanting to cut funding for PP and female cancer screenings....Why on Earth do people like him. Hes a creep!

In a nutshell... he spouts all this stuff about getting women jobs , but just about every policy and belief he holds about women seems to be patronising, opressive and backwards. He wants to cut the funding to planned parenthood because he is pro-life, and they provide those eeeeevil abortions (entirely ignoring all other aspects). He thinks the government and a woman's employers should be able to help her make decisions with regard to reproductive care.

One of the best pictures from the debate:

A5YFBv1CYAA1ayd.jpg

Im a little scared for Americans if that guy gets in. I suppose its easy to say as a woman that his policies are backwards, but its not just that as a human being you should be able to see the shite he is spouting about female medical issues is wrong, dangerous and ill researched!

Im a little scared for Americans if that guy gets in. I suppose its easy to say as a woman that his policies are backwards, but its not just that as a human being you should be able to see the shite he is spouting about female medical issues is wrong, dangerous and ill researched!

It's not just his policies on women. Minorities, LGBT people, people on benefits, the lower class... they'll all suffer. He said last night that he wanted to encourage people to get married before having children because that's basically the only way a child will have a decent family life. That's insulting to so many people - single mothers, same-sex couples (because Romney doesn't think they should be married), people in loving relationships with children who just don't want to get married but are perfectly happy... all sub-par families according to that man.

I knew he was against LGBT marriages and such...but the family thing...Really?!? Man. Our Goverment doesnt seem so bad in comparrison :/

EDIT: Sorry, missed that this had already been mentioned :) That's what I get for phone posting while still half asleep :p

And in other news, the Green Party candidate, who is in fact on the ballot in all but a few states, was arrested while trying to gain access to the presidential debate.

And in other news, the Green Party candidate, who is in fact on the ballot in all but a few states, was arrested while trying to gain access to the presidential debate.

I did mention that ;)

I think it's awful that they won't let a potential candidate participate in the debates. So much for democracy. Her reasons for protest were spot on.

Accounts differ as to whether she was arrested for protesting or for trying to gain entry, though (not that either seems like reasonable cause).

Reactions: yakherder