US Politics-2022

It's not stealing, they agree to sell their labor for money.
I'm talking about the proportion of their money that the poor and working class pay in taxes, versus the proportion someone like Musk pays, even though he uses many times the amount of public resources that a poor or working class person does. That's what makes him a grifter.

I'm talking about the proportion of their money that the poor and working class pay in taxes, versus the proportion someone like Musk pays, even though he uses many times the amount of public resources that a poor or working class person does. That's what makes him a grifter.
I think that it is disgusting that anyone has to pay taxes.

And what we have now is democracy? Neither party is representing the will of the majority, they don't have to. Forcing them to do what the voters actually want by making them compete for votes is the thing that is going to help restore democracy.
What do you think the will of "the majority" is? And if you think the Democrats and Republicans aren't competing for votes, then you'd better start paying attention.

Worse than George Bush II? A president who lied to go to war in Iraq and killed over 100,000 innocent civilians?
Yes. If your only criterion is the number of innocent civilians killed, have you looked at the number of deaths from covid that could have been avoided if trump et al. hadn't decided that they didn't need to take mitigation measures because initially blue areas were hardest hit, and that would just increase their voter advantage?

I think taxing necessities is disgusting.I'd feel a lot better about it if my taxes worked for me- as in road repairs, health care, water and sewer maintainence,.....
Corporations get off using phenomenal amounts of non renewable resources while so many can't afford gas for their cars or to heat their homes. I'm 100% in favor of basic needs being covered

Worse than George Bush II? A president who lied to go to war in Iraq and killed over 100,000 innocent civilians?
Yes, I believe trump was far worse. Not only in terms of the disinformation he spread about covid, but all the regulations he killed.
The whole baby formula disaster has his name on it--not only in changing the north american trade agreement that suppressed imports,but the regulations on food that delayed the discovery of tainted formula at Abbot
and of course the whole normalizing of alternate truths :ignore: , and embolding the crazy far right and nationalists...................

....and what's my state facing for open senate seat? Between a nut job trump is pushing, the hillbilly elegy guy, and a centrist democrat who wants to work for 'allpeople'.. which is my biggest problem with most dems

What do you think the will of "the majority" is? And if you think the Democrats and Republicans aren't competing for votes, then you'd better start paying attention.
They don't have to do much to compete for votes, both parties have a large group of people who will vote for them pretty much no matter what, why do you think in all of the recent elections both the of candidates where so awful?

I think that it is disgusting that anyone has to pay taxes.
Do you use roads? Utility infrastructure? Public schools? Do rely on the fact that there is law enforcement? Firefighters? Do you eat food that you don't grow yourself? How do you think it gets to you? What happens if your neighbors to the south decide to bomb the area where you live? What happens if your parents get a deadly illness?

I don't think you have the slightest idea what it takes to survive in a world where you are totally on your own. I don't think you have any idea of what life is like for the vast majority of the people on this planet.

I think you should start a thread explaining exactly how anarchy wouod work on a planet with the human population this one has. It would be educational for you.

aining

Do you use roads? Utility infrastructure? Public schools? Do rely on the fact that there is law enforcement? Firefighters? Do you eat food that you don't grow yourself? How do you think it gets to you? What happens if your neighbors to the south decide to bomb the area where you live? What happens if your parents get a deadly illness?

I don't think you have the slightest idea what it takes to survive in a world where you are totally on your own. I don't think you have any idea of what life is like for the vast majority of the people on this planet.

I think you should start a thread explaining exactly how anarchy wouod work on a planet with the human population this one has. It would be educational for you.

aining
Do you like having roads? Does everyone else in your town like having roads? If so you can voluntarily put your money together and have some built. most people are reasonable enough to work together towards a goal that is mutually beneficial.

....and what's my state facing for open senate seat? Between a nut job trump is pushing, the hillbilly elegy guy, and a centrist democrat who wants to work for 'allpeople'.. which is my biggest problem with most dems
Could be worse. In my state, our newest U.S. Senator will limely be our former governor, who was forced to resign because he tied his nude mistress up in his basement, photographed her, and used the photographs to blackmail her. He's also a wife beater and a far right bigot.

I'd take a centrist Democrat any day of the week.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: PTree15 and silva
Yes, I believe trump was far worse. Not only in terms of the disinformation he spread about covid,
The most disinformation I've heard from him about the Covid, is him saying that the vaccines are safe and effective.
but all the regulations he killed.
The whole baby formula disaster has his name on it--not only in changing the north american trade agreement that suppressed imports,but the regulations on food that delayed the discovery of tainted formula at Abbot
I'm glad that you see how regulation can lead to problems.
and of course the whole normalizing of alternate truths
Because it's so outlandish to say that the truth might be something other than what the mainstream media and the government suggest, I wish we had this level of distrust in the government when Bush was in power, then maybe the Iraq war could have been prevented.
:ignore: , and embolding the crazy far right and nationalists...................
You should check out Bitchute, all of the real White nationalists and Neo-Nazis there hate Trump. That said a lot of the crazy Christian theocrats seem to like him, so you might be partially right about that.

• Disagree
Reactions: silva
I notice that the right is trying to emulate the sound of liberalism. Calling critical race theory and the BLM movement the racists, using the call for LGBT rights as discriminating straight people. Actually they just feel not allowing hate and bigotry is discriminating against them
I saw a headline saying Washington state was not allowing therapists to help minors in the pursuit of sexual identity. Of course I thought "Washington state--doesn't sound right". I read the article, and it's instead about not allowing parents of minors to put them through conversion therapy! :fp:
I swear they'll be calling for flat earth theory to be taught in schools next

Yes. If your only criterion is the number of innocent civilians killed, have you looked at the number of deaths from covid that could have been avoided if trump et al. hadn't decided that they didn't need to take mitigation measures because initially blue areas were hardest hit, and that would just increase their voter advantage?
Not preventing someone from dying, is not the same as doing something that you know will kill them.

They don't have to do much to compete for votes, both parties have a large group of people who will vote for them pretty much no matter what, why do you think in all of the recent elections both the of candidates where so awful?
Are you talking presidential elections? I assume you are.

I've been happy with all the Democratic nominees. During the last presidential election, Joe Biden was not my pick, but it turns out he was the right person for the job at this time.
Do you like having roads? Does everyone else in your town like having roads? If so you can voluntarily put your money together and have some built. most people are reasonable enough to work together towards a goal that is mutually beneficial.
You're funny. Obviously, you've never attended a subdivision meeting - even a dozen or so people often can't come to an agreement about maintaining their private roadways, which is why developers end up dedicating roads to the public so that they will be maintained by the city or county.

So you and your neighbor decide to build a road, but the people a quarter mile away aren't interested. What then? Are you going to foot the entire bill, do all the work? Which gets to use it? How are you going to build a road over property you don't own?

Congratulations. By the time you've figured out how to get a road built anywhere than over your own property, you will have formed a government and (re)invented taxation.

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15 and silva
There were, and are, worse human rights abuses going on elsewhere that we haven't bothered to do anything about. We didn't invade Iraq with clean motives, and we shouldn't pretend we did.
I wasn't talking about the motives - I was talking about the consequences and how it's unclear that they were more bad than good.

I don't think that justifies the invasion, however. In fact, even if the consequences were now uniformly agreed to be more good than bad (which is certainly not the case) you could still say the invasion was immoral. There seems to have been, as far as I can tell, a mix of motivations from ensuring access to oil to Bush Jr getting Saddam for his Daddy mixed in with the desire to remove a dictator. So sure, the motives were not at all clean.

The other thing that's noteworthy is that the Iraqi people were not consulted. It ought to be possible for Western governments to find a way of surveying the people discreetly to see if they agree or not with an invasion to remove a dictator, but this never takes place. Imagine if the US had conducted a survey of 1,000 Iraqis using telephone calls and street surveys and then published the results showing that a majority of people agreed with a US invasion to remove Saddam, that might have been a different story. Of course, there are a number of difficulties with such an approach, but they are not insurmountable, and it's telling that the West never does this kind of thing.

Also, thanks for telling me about Elon not qualifying for President. I meant to double check that before posting, actually, but I forgot. That may rule him out of politics altogether I suspect. He's probably too much of a big head to ever settle for a lesser political position

Reactions: Mischief and silva
The most disinformation I've heard from him about the Covid, is him saying that the vaccines are safe and effective.

I'm glad that you see how regulation can lead to problems.

Because it's so outlandish to say that the truth might be something other than what the mainstream media and the government suggest, I wish we had this level of distrust in the government when Bush was in power, then maybe the Iraq war could have been prevented.

You should check out Bitchute, all of the real White nationalists and Neo-Nazis there hate Trump. That said a lot of the crazy Christian theocrats seem to like him, so you might be partially right about that.
Killing regulations is what led to the bacteria in the baby formula. Regulating food and drugs is a good thing
trump preached about bleach, sunlight and dewormers, not the safety of vaccines
You need to stay out of Bitchute, your tin foil seems a bit too tight.

Are you talking presidential elections? I assume you are.

I've been happy with all the Democratic nominees. During the last presidential election, Joe Biden was not my pick, but it turns out he was the right person for the job at this time.

You're funny. Obviously, you've never attended a subdivision meeting - even a dozen or so people often can't come to an agreement about maintaining their private roadways, which is why developers end up dedicating roads to the public so that they will be maintained by the city or county.

So you and your neighbor decide to build a road, but the people a quarter mile away aren't interested. What then? Are you going to foot the entire bill, do all the work? Which gets to use it? How are you going to build a road over property you don't own?

Congratulations. By the time you've figured out how to get a road built anywhere than over your own property, you will have formed a government and (re)invented taxation.
If it is truly in the public interest then there should be no trouble funding it, if only a few people want it done then clearly it's not that important for the community, and if people can not reach an agreement on how it will be built then they can have a vote, since it will probably be beneficial to the community either way, most people will still find it even if they don't fully support how it's being done.

Not preventing someone from dying, is not the same as doing something that you know will k

I wasn't talking about the motives - I was talking about the consequences and how it's unclear that they were more bad than good.

I don't think that justifies the invasion, however. In fact, even if the consequences were now uniformly agreed to be more good than bad (which is certainly not the case) you could still say the invasion was immoral. There seems to have been, as far as I can tell, a mix of motivations from ensuring access to oil to Bush Jr getting Saddam for his Daddy mixed in with the desire to remove a dictator. So sure, the motives were not at all clean.

The other thing that's noteworthy is that the Iraqi people were not consulted. It ought to be possible for Western governments to find a way of surveying the people discreetly to see if they agree or not with an invasion to remove a dictator, but this never takes place. Imagine if the US had conducted a survey of 1,000 Iraqis using telephone calls and street surveys and then published the results showing that a majority of people agreed with a US invasion to remove Saddam, that might have been a different story. Of course, there are a number of difficulties with such an approach, but they are not insurmountable, and it's telling that the West never does this kind of thing.

Also, thanks for telling me about Elon not qualifying for President. I meant to double check that before posting, actually, but I forgot. That may rule him out of politics altogether I suspect. He's probably too much of a big head to ever settle for a lesser political position

Not preventing someone from dying, is not the same as doing something that you know will kill them.
So, if your appendix exploded, you'd be O.K. with the doctor and hospital refusing to treat you. Good to know.

In fact, it's perfectly O.K. for someone to give you something that may or may not kill you. No problem there.