US Politics 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Governor Newsome of California has directed his AG to investigate the possibility of charging Desantis with kidnapping, in regard to the immigrant stunt.
Also a Texas sheriff has opened up a case.

It probably can't happen cause of jurisdictions and stuff but I like to daydream about Desantis and Trump sharing a cell.

So I just finished reading The Indictment.

I'm not lawyer but I have watched almost every episode of Law and Order.

I think Trumps best bet is to have a Doctor state that he is "incompetent to stand trial because of metal defect". His trail would be delayed while he is treated for his mental illness.

(JOKING)

Reactions: Second Summer
This article does not make me happy.
Yeah, not that I understand all of this, but I was reading this morning that Jack Smith must have known there was a very good chance he would get Cannon. But he still went with Florida instead of DC (which had some other risks). So he must have thought he could still get a conviction - even with Cannon.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit proved to be a an unlikely ally in those other situations so maybe he figures they will help again. Or maybe get her to recuse herself.

I think the main risk is that she delays the trail for a year or more maybe even past the next election. But that is more of a political concern so maybe Smith doesn't worry about that.

My other concern or fear is violence by the right. But we didn't see any at the last indictment so maybe not here either.

If I was a political cartoonist I would draw Trump as a dead or dying whale that is sinking to the bottom of the ocean. And the GOP has attached their boat to him in an effort to save him(?). And they are all going under.

We still get to see what happens both in Georgia and in the Jan 6 investigation. oh and the NY thing isn't over either. Can Trump effectively campaign while commuting between court houses in 4 states.

As the official optimist in this forum, I also can't believe that Mainstream Republican Voters will be abandoning Trump like rats from a stinking ship.

On another note, and as sort of a PSA, I just listened to Rachel Madow's new podcast, Deja News. It's a once a week thing, not sure for how long. It was very good. very typical Rachel. She takes an event in history that you may have never heard of and explains it and how it is just like something that it happening today. Today she compared our Jan 6 to France's Feb 6, which occurred in 1934. Somewhat unsettling about how history repeats itself but it has sort of a happy ending which maybe we can take some solace from.

I just read something else...
Canon might not be the worst thing the DOJ has to overcome. There is the Jury Pool in Florida. One MAGA republican sneaks in and it's a hung jury. And we have to do this again?

Also just watched Rachel Maddow's show. She reminds us that we have done something similar once before (Deja News?). Fifty years ago the DOJ indicted Spirow Agnew, the vice presidents. He resigned instead of facing trial. but I think Trump would throw the dice with a trial.

BTW, Rachel did a podcast series of about 6 episodes about the Agnew thing. it was really interesting. It's called Bag Man.

Really feel like this is an example of Celebrating Too Soon.
However.... I wish I was invited to this Watch Party.

Wonder what city this took place in - that they take they are so enthusiastic about their politics?

Reactions: KLS52
Really feel like this is an example of Celebrating Too Soon.
However.... I wish I was invited to this Watch Party.

Wonder what city this took place in - that they take they are so enthusiastic about their politics?

My son sent me this. Apparently it's from a sports event and was edited to add trumps face. 🤦‍♀️ I was also wondering where it took place.

Reactions: Lou
Sad to say. 😞 I was excited until I started reading the comments then I looked it up.
He's not going anywhere either, unfortunately.

In Rachel Maddow's podcast, Ultra, we learned about the case of United States v. McWilliams.
I hope that the Georgia trial doesn't go as bad.
That was the largest Sedition trial in US history with over 30 Defendents. Some of whom were members of Congress and their staff and allies.

The video was fake, of course, though some who shared it may not have been aware of that fact. Created by digitally editing an existing (and real) YouTube video of a crowd celebrating a soccer victory in England in 2016, the altered clip seemingly originatedwith the X (formerly Twitter) account of Project Lincoln, which describes itself as "a political action committee formed in late 2019 by former and current moderate Republicans." The group is known for its strongly anti-Trump stance.

Reactions: KLS52
The video was fake, of course, though some who shared it may not have been aware of that fact. Created by digitally editing an existing (and real) YouTube video of a crowd celebrating a soccer victory in England in 2016, the altered clip seemingly originatedwith the X (formerly Twitter) account of Project Lincoln, which describes itself as "a political action committee formed in late 2019 by former and current moderate Republicans." The group is known for its strongly anti-Trump stance.
I know... it's really making the rounds. I for one was disappointed. I wanted it to be real, lol.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
I'm starting to get sick knowing this guy has a good chance of becoming our next president. I can't understand, for the life of me...

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15
I'm starting to get sick knowing this guy has a good chance of becoming our next president. I can't understand, for the life of me...
Well, you know I tend to be optimistic. But I don't think he has that much of a chance.
Although it seems very likely he will win his primary. Which then makes everything worse.
But I don't think its that likely he can with the general election.
First off, he already lost to Biden once.
Granted voter suppression laws and gerrymandering are worse now but on the other hand Independent voters and the people who don't vote are going to be more motivated to get to the polls and maybe even to become "activated". After. all they are even more aware of what a Trump presidency would mean.
We may even see a new psychology term, Trumphobia: The fear of Trump becoming president. As Machiavelli pointed out hundreds of years ago - Fear is a great motivator. Obama had Hope. Biden has got Trumphobia.

however I don't think I should try anymore to allay YOUR fears. The one thing that has got to scare Biden is the Voters assuming Trump can't win and become complacent.

Well, you know I tend to be optimistic. But I don't think he has that much of a chance.
Although it seems very likely he will win his primary. Which then makes everything worse.
But I don't think its that likely he can with the general election.
First off, he already lost to Biden once.
Granted voter suppression laws and gerrymandering are worse now but on the other hand Independent voters and the people who don't vote are going to be more motivated to get to the polls and maybe even to become "activated". After. all they are even more aware of what a Trump presidency would mean.
We may even see a new psychology term, Trumphobia: The fear of Trump becoming president. As Machiavelli pointed out hundreds of years ago - Fear is a great motivator. Obama had Hope. Biden has got Trumphobia.

however I don't think I should try anymore to allay YOUR fears. The one thing that has got to scare Biden is the Voters assuming Trump can't win and become complacent.
Believe me, I appreciate the optimists. They keep from going over the edge.

Yes, he lost to Biden once, but now so many people are disappointed in him…not sure which way they are going to go at this point. Some of Biden’s previous voters were people who voted for Trump the first time. Who’s to say they won’t be so disillusioned in Biden that they will turn back to Trump!

I agree that we can’t fall into that mindset that Trump can’t win and that there are a lot of Americans who believe just that.

Ugh…I don’t want to be thinking about this now. 😩

I am English and this looks like English football (soccer) fans, possibly one of the over exaggerated celebrations of a goal during the 2021 Euros when it became overly fashionable to throw drinks into the air after a goal.

There is a petition to disqualify Trump from running in 2024. Watch on Youtube - the link is below the video.

and one to demand that his trials be televised

Status
Not open for further replies.