Working at a non-vegan bakery

9squaredis81

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I’m currently working on going vegan. The problem is that I work at a bakery. It uses milk, butter, and eggs. I feel bad about it. By working there, aren’t I supporting animal cruelty? I like my boss. She’s very nice to me. I also have an extremely flexible schedule, which I need. See, if I quit this job, I’ll have to get another. I have a lot of anxiety about finding jobs. I’m definitely visibly autistic and my fear is that they’ll see that and think I’m not suitable for the job. Which I might not be. Making cookies is easy. It’s the same thing each time. I can have a break if I need one. I’m also worried about what my parents will think about me quitting my job. They have supported me going vegan, but judging from a lot of remarks they’ve made they think it’s crazy. I know that a lot of other vegan teenagers have it much worse. But I feel scared to say “I don’t want to work there anymore” because I’m worried they’ll think that this vegan nonsense is destroying my life. Part of me wants to stage an incident so I have an excuse to quit that isn’t related to veganism. But what other job would I get? Then that triggers my job search anxiety again.

I can understand how difficult such decisions can be, for an adult, left alone a teenager and I sympathize with you.

I would suggest that you stay put for now as almost all circumstances in life are going to mean that we are surrounded by non-vegan people and products. If you worked at a shoe store would you refuse to sell leather shoes? or as a cashier at a grocery store would you refuse to put people's groceries through that weren't vegan. If, while still working, you can find another better job that makes you happier then to change, until then please don't make an "incident", you won't respect yourself and others may lose respect also.

Maybe to bring yourself some peace, before (or during) work say a quick word of thanks to the animals that gave their products so that others can eat.

You have lots of life ahead to make changes and grow into a vegan lifestyle.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I work in a hall containing three cafes and two bars. The menu is regularly one meat dish, one fish dish and one vegetarian dish. I don't feel bad about doing my job because I have to survive somehow. Of course I wish all the food was plant based and ethically sourced but I think that sometimes we have to understand that we live in an imperfect world with imperfect people and we have to make compromises in order to get along. I buy food and clothes in shops that also sell animal products. Is this really any different?

Life is like that. As an old guy, I would just say, get used to it.

In an attempt to make you feel better, keep in mind that living a totally ethical life (or a vegan one) is basically impossible. Just do your best, that is all anyone can ask of you.

I know one vegan that drives herself crazy with all the things she can't do. if you take it to a logical extreme you can't go to a grocery store cause it sells meat (and eggs and milk).

As the saying goes, “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”

One saying I really like is "Don't let perfection be the enemy of the good"

You like your job and who you work for, that's not easy, especially for a teen.
Is this a like a neighborhood bakery? Have you made vegan cookies? Perhaps you work out a good vegan recipe and present them to your boss, suggesting they try them out. Not even really push the ethical aspect, but as one that doesn't have egg or dairy as allergens, as well as a vegan incentive.
See if your library has Isa Moscowitz "Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar". There is a shortbread bar cookie with a caramel nutty topping that's divine!

Regardless of the job I've always found I had things I've had to adjust to that doesn't correspond to my beliefs, when it is what it takes for me to afford to hold my beliefs

It's pretty much impossible to be in a job that doesn't involve animal products because they are everywhere. I'm a tradesman working as an employee and I found out that plyboard isn't vegan because the glues are animal derived. Who knows what else is the same. I've also come across leather washers. I feel guilty about the mileage I do in the van too.
You aren't supporting animal cruelty because the business would no doubt exist if were working there or not. Don't beat yourself up over it. If it was a butchers you were working at then that would be different.

Reactions: PTree15 and Brian W