US Politics-2022

Democrats/liberals are trying to ignore the issue of illegal/undocumented immigration or have beliefs that don't make much sense and they never take time to review the issue properly.

Cheap tricks like this will actually get reported in the media and will therefore work to raise the issue. Looking on twitter and in the media I can see this is already a win for the Republicans with liberals falling into the trap of reacting in an upset fashion just as Republicans had probably intended. It is like some cartoon where there is food on a wire in a clearing in the forest and liberals just react emotionally, senselessly blundering into the trap without ever stopping to think about what is the right strategic move.

It is actually activism from the right and by responding to it liberals are giving oxygen to the issue of immigration just as conservatives want.

Just like the left takes to the streets and blocks roads and breaks things and so on to get important social and climate agendas passed, this is the right's little equivalent of that. I wonder if they took deliberate inspiration from the left.

It's even possible (speculation) the lack of notice and other mistakes and cruelty were all part of a strategy to stir up debate.

This is further evidence of the polarized debate and divided country, it doesn't help in that sense at all so De Santis is playing with fire.

The only positive I can take from this sad story is the hope that such a win for DeSantis might help him fight back against Trump in the race to get the Republican nomination (seems like Trump is in the lead lately).

And there is some pushback. Some Democratic have asked the DOJ to investigate this.
It is probable fraud, possible kidnapping, and trafficking.

Reactions: KLS52
So far I don´t buy this argument that DeSantis is just as bad as Trump or worse.

DeSantis may be someone who is ideologically different to you but he isn´t someone who won´t respect democracy.

He won´t answer about whether Trump lost in 2020 which to me suggest he knows he did but just won´t say it for fear or losing support in the base. I think if DeSantis lose narrowly in 2024 he will likely accept it (I guess), whereas if Trump loses narrowly you may end up with some kind of civil war or mass riots or a series of assassinations of public officials.

DeSantis may just be fundamentally a conservative, but Trump is fundamentally a vengeful narcissist.

Trump has a huge long list of controversies in his life, and dumb and bad things he´s done, including being accussed of sex crimes/inappropriate behavour by at least more than 20 women for starters. De Santis doesn´t have anything like the same list of controversies (although of course he is younger and has come under less scrutiny).

I reckon the "De Santis is just as bad" argument is really just opposition to any conservative or Republican rather than based on a honest and fair assessment of the two.

And I think if you think that way you are too focused on the ideological struggles and not enough focused on the fact that the Republicans may continue to disrespect democracy and reduce the quality of democracy in the US. I think there are more fundamental risks with Trump.

There is the question about whether we prefer a competent or incompetent Republican as President if those were the only choices.....overall I´d prefer a De Santis presidency, at the end of the day he seems relatively sane and he feel that he likely won´t start a war or threaten people with nuclear weapons with Trump - who knows.

Trump is that age where mentally you sometimes start to slow down, a 2024-2028 Presidency would see him turn 80 in the middle of it. What if he starts to lose his marbles? How would you even tell? He´s kind of a loon already.

The only reason I can think of to prefer Trump as the candidate is that he seems slightly more likely to lose, but that´s a risky argument and the polls showing DeSantis has a better chance to beat Biden are not by much. And could easily change.

@Jamie in Chile

While I was reading your post, it reminded me of something I read a few months ago....

it needs to be updated with the news that he did charge people with voter fraud.
And he did sent immigrants to Massachusetts.

So far I don´t buy this argument that DeSantis is just as bad as Trump or worse.

DeSantis may be someone who is ideologically different to you but he isn´t someone who won´t respect democracy.
I definitely don’t agree with his policies and I still think he’s more dangerous than trump in that respect. I’m also not convinced he’s all that respectful of our democracy.

According to the liberal press, where I get my news, this plane load of immigrants stunt is backfiring.
but then I haven't checked FOX.

Oh. so I had to go check Fox. According to Fox, the immigrants are grateful to DeSantis for sending them on a vacation.

In some respects, I think DeSantis is worse than Trump. He’s smarter. And more devious.
Agree. I find him absolutely abhorrent. And he's just outright mean. Regardless of the immigration issue, what he did was repugnant, inhumane, cruel ... I could go on. These are people, not objects, and playing with people's lives like that makes my skin crawl.

I don't enjoy writing it, but once Trump is out of the picture I think we will witness DeSantis as a candidate for POTUS.

Possibly Abbott too.
As the optimist around here I am hoping that Trump goes down hard and then the GOP scrambles to put some distance between him and them.

I saw this one guy on MSNBC last night who thought that maybe the Jan 6 investigation that is being done by the DOJ could result in RICO charges. The list of felonies was long. The list of conspirators was even longer.

Mostly we are aware of the majority of MAGA republicans. But I think the number of Never Trumpers is significant. being that the GOP has shown itself to be both spineless and without principal, I can envision a majority of Republicans running from Trump if the tide shifts. And I would guess (or hope) that if you run from Trump you also run from Abbott and DeSantis.

As the optimist around here I am hoping that Trump goes down hard and then the GOP scrambles to put some distance between him and them.
Let's face it: Never going to happen!
And I would guess (or hope) that if you run from Trump you also run from Abbott and DeSantis.
Really. Not. Going. To. Happen.

If they run from Trump, then they would run to the lesser Trumps or wannabe-Trumps.

DeSantis is just a nice guy who is unfairly criticized by the Liberal press...Yea right.

The migrants were legal, (in other words, it has nothing to do with illegal immigration) and they were lured onto the plane under false pretense, and Desantis even had video photographer on the plane.

And as for fiscal conservatism. The cost of this stunt was over $12K per person.

(Hint: it doesn't cost $12K per person to fly from FL to MA)

DeSantis is just a nice guy who is unfairly criticized by the Liberal press...Yea right.

The migrants were legal, (in other words, it has nothing to do with illegal immigration) and they were lured onto the plane under false pretense, and Desantis even had video photographer on the plane.

And as for fiscal conservatism. The cost of this stunt was over $12K per person.

(Hint: it doesn't cost $12K per person to fly from FL to MA)

I just heard that the company they hired to fly the immigrants was a major GOP contributor and has strong ties to Desantis and his cronies.

If this happened if Florida, I would have guessed its the plot for the latest Carl Hiaasen novel

I love that the reporter has a sense of humor about this. Here are some of the best lines.

By hopping in the back of his wife's truck as she drove him away, Paxton showed he's a firm believer in a Texas woman's right to choose ... the getaway route.

...encapsulation of the modern-day Republican Party’s approach to law and order: Consequences for thee, but not for me.
Rather than be served, Paxton allegedly went all-hat-and-no-cattle and, emulating the bravery Sen. Ted Cruz showed when he fled to Cancun during a deadly winter storm last year, ran away.

Ah, yes, the ol' Reverse-Alamo trick, newly popular among Texas types

Paxton nailed the GOP’s “like John Wayne, only chicken”
....the state’s top law enforcement official to run Bonnie-and-Clyde style from a subpoena.

A new campaign ad for Ken Paxton, who put the 'running' in 'running for office'

Reactions: beancounter
Yes, its your favorite eternal optimist with another hopeful comment about the midterms.(and beyond).

Trump Republicans might be the Democrats best ally. The way they pick, support, and nominate the worst possible candidates for office might be the saving grace.

I was reminded by this concept by the Herschel Walker reveals in the news today. Although I am under the opinion that the scandal is just the icing on the cake ( IMHO, Walker's unsuitability for office is revealed every time he speaks) it should resonate with the Pro-Lifers, the Christian Right and the Evangelists.

You might respond to me by saying, yeah, well, the Acesss Hollywood tape didn't ruin Trump's chances. and I would say that, well that is Trump for you. Plus that was just talk. This is actions.

• Friendly
@Lou I love your optimism. It helps balance my negativity, lol. 😍
I honestly think I was so traumatized when Trump won in 2016, that I can’t dare to hope for anything good, even though Biden won in 2020. And while I am more comfortable with him in office, I’m not exactly thrilled with where we are today. I think I expected more.

@Lou I love your optimism. It helps balance my negativity, lol. 😍
I honestly think I was so traumatized when Trump won in 2016, that I can’t dare to hope for anything good, even though Biden won in 2020. And while I am more comfortable with him in office, I’m not exactly thrilled with where we are today. I think I expected more.
I think we all were looking for much more when Biden took office. We were kind of on a "high" of hope when he won. However, things didn't go as smoothly as we wanted and his approval rating has tanked and people are upset. I am worried about the mid-terms. There are still so many Trump supporters! It just boggles my mind that people are so brainwashed! And in Florida, DeSantis has many supporters and lots of people don't trust Charlie Crist, me included, but I am trying to be hopeful.

• Agree
  • Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52