US Politics-2022

I think the FBI may have made a strategic mistake that helps Trump 2024. Still, if it turns out there is something really bad I can change my mind. It depends how bad. Still no clarity there.

The Inflation Reduction Act that was signed into law yesterday is quite a big deal on the climate. Well short of what's needed, but quite far ahead of what was done in the past, and as good as could possibly be achieved for now.

I see Liz Cheney lost. Maybe the lesson at the moment is that you can oppose Trump in a soft way (e.g. say you prefer another candidate in 2024) and get elected as a Republican.... but you can't (usually) have actually voted to impeach Trump or testified against him and stay in the Republican party. Loyalty is important to conservatives. It looks like Cheney went from a big margin of victory in a previous election to a big margin of defeat this time.

Edited the last sentence at 10.44 Eastern time as it was wrong when originally published.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: KLS52
I think the FBI may have made a strategic mistake that helps Trump 2024.

In theory, the FBI is not motivated by politics. So whether it helps Trump or not is not part of the calculation
Still, if it turns out there is something really bad I can change my mind. It depends how bad. Still no clarity there.

Some reading between the lines, it seems like laws were broken.

The Inflation Reduction Act that was signed into law yesterday is quite a big deal on the climate. Well short of what's needed, but quite far ahead of what was done in the past, and as good as could possibly be achieved for now.

Some people think that Obama did not toot his own horn enough. So Biden is embarking on what many call a victory lap. Regardless I think its a good idea. So many people are convinced that nothing got done the last three years - but so much was accomplished.

Democrats running for Congress need to point out what else could have happened if the Republicans hadn't voted against it.
I see Liz Cheney lost. ... .
I can't shed any tears. Liz is a very Conservative Republican who almost always voted with Trump. However she showed that she has principles - unlike most Republicans.

Loyalty is important to conservatives mobsters.

• Haha
Reactions: Raven
I see zero good coming out of the fbi seizing the documents. I hope I’m wrong. Really really wrong. I am not an optimistic person when it comes to these matters.

Reactions: PTree15
I think the folks who would rally around Trump as a result of the fbi investigation or actual prosecution are already about as rallied as they're gonna get (I mean, we could see actual violence I guess but the number of his supporters won't grow). It would be a disaster to signal to other politicians they can get away with this stuff now.

• Agree
Reactions: Mischief and Lou
I heard he is already fundraising for a defense fund.

Wasn't Bannon charged with misusing border wall funds? and wasn't there also some scuttlebutt about an imaginary Jan 6 Defense fund?

I wish someone would light a fire under Merrick and send all these bozos to prison.

Reactions: Andy_T and PTree15
I was reminded of a scene in Woody Allen’s Sleeper. They show him a picture of Nixon and they are wondering if he was a criminal or a president. Woody says he was president but whenever he left the whitehouse they counted the silverware

This article is about the value of an endorsement from Trump

If you are from America and already have a good knowledge of politics then the BBC often isn´t worth reading, the articles are meant to explain US politics to British people or other international audience so they are a bit basic if you are from the US.
However this one is interesting.

I am feeling optimistic about the midterms. but then that is how I usually feel

Reactions: Sax
It looks to me like momentum and enthusiasm are on the Democrat's side. I live in a deep red state and work in a factory with Trump's white, aggrieved blue collar base and I'm not sensing much enthusiasm from them about the midterms.

That doesn't mean Democrats will keep the house and senate but if they're going to buck the historic trend a big enthusiasm gap like that is a key ingredient. I'm hopeful.

Anyone in the UK or Canada want to rent me a room? My country has gone insane.

Canada's opposition party just elected a far-right leader. That means we are only one election away from the same madness taking over our country. I am scared, and I am making SHTF plans. I plan to get an EU passport to give me some options.

• Friendly
Canada's opposition party just elected a far-right leader. That means we are only one election away from the same madness taking over our country. I am scared, and I am making SHTF plans. I plan to get an EU passport to give me some options.
SHTF?

The news about the immigrants has me so upset! I hate Ron DeSantis!
Imagine Crist losing after THAT :fp:
There are too many people who are all too happy to have permission to hate, and a community to share it with

Ha! You know after Trump left the White House I was a little worried for the Late Night Comedians. Like, they hardly needed writers, Trump was a joke. * But Never Fear, Santis and Abbott are here.

* I also likes Samantha Bee's replies to that with Trump the jokes write themselves. She said the jokes don't write themselves, the jokes are written by her Jewish writers.