US Politics-2022

That 74 million includes people aren´t 74 million rally-attending, MAGA hat wearing conspiracist theorists.

It includes people who vote with the conservative because they are conservative, people who vote down democrats because of perceived focus too much on woke social justice and not enough on working class issues. Some of them love Trump, but some of them are feeling dirty as they mark Trump on the paper. Some of them are reachable.
I suspect a lot more of them are MAGA people. Just anecdotally, I find there is still a good amount of support for Trump and Trumpism. And the bottom line is the conservatives (and others, like the people who couldn't stand Hilary Clinton) who didn't care for him still voted for him, so there's a good chance they'd vote for someone who espouses Trumpism. There isn't a Democrat that I can see who sway GOP voters.

The Republican Party is not the party of Reagan or even the Bushes. It's been taken over by the conspiracy-theory crazies. And the ones who find Trump distasteful are too afraid to say so or dispute him publicly. They've been scared into voting as one bloc for the most part because they fear the influence Trump might have on their reelection bids if they buck him. See: the persistence of the Big Lie. The Democrats and Biden still think they can reason with these people and negotiate.

Look at the gun "reform" law that was just passed (after yet another horrific school shooting). It didn't have half of what Biden and some Democrats wanted. They had to exclude (IMHO) the provisions that would have made a big difference in curbing gun violence, one being a ban on assault-style rifles. People keep saying how complicated this issue is. I don't think it is. Block access to weapons like this that are designed for war, to kill many people quickly. Studies in other countries show that mass shootings drop a lot when these guns just aren't available. But I digress. :D

And yes, I know that mass shootings account for a small percentage of U.S. gun deaths (suicides by gun are a huge problem). I think the easy access to guns of all kinds is the problem. I'm not against people having guns per se, but I am against how easy it is to get one.

this has more to do with electoral politic strategy than what I consider good governing or good policy.

Trump needed the Jewish American vote. Especially in Florida. But no way was he going to get the progressive left or NY, or California. So he panders.

Here in Northern California the Jewish vote is very Democratic, very progressive and not that pro-Israel. But that is probably not the case in Southern California.

I don't think Biden is pandering. More like walking tightrope
But he shouldn't have gone to Saudia Arabia. He just did it so people could say he is doing everything possible to lower gas prices. But Saudi oil is no longer as big as a deal as it was in the 70s. We need to get off that horse. And go with a more progressive energy plan. (Stupid Manchin)

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Blues
It is possible that the future holds a theocracy, considering the actions of many republican politicians, the thing is, America is a democracy, that means if theocracy ever becomes a real threat, then every Christian is your enemy, and they must be fought, turn churches into the most dangerous place to be in America, they shall have no religious freedom until we have our freedom.

It seems that Democrats have now completely lost their lead in latino voting preferences, and latinos look set to vote 50/50 in 2022, which is worse than even 2020.

The theory I´ve heard in a few places is that latinos are not onboard with the woke social justice agenda and are supposedly more practical and down to earth.

For a very short summary see here:
Analysis: Democrats have a major problem with Hispanic voters

If you can spare 10 minutes on this, see here:

Alternately, here are some key quotes from the above
"It is hard to avoid the conclusion that Democrats have seriously erred by lumping Hispanics in with “people of color” and assuming they embraced the activism around racial issues that dominated so much of the political scene in 2020, particularly in the summer. This was a flawed assumption. The reality of the Hispanic population is that they are, broadly speaking, an overwhelmingly working class, economically progressive, socially moderate constituency that cares above all, about jobs, the economy and health care."

"Hispanics opposed defunding the police, decreasing the size of police forces and the scope of their work and reparations for the descendants of slaves by 2:1 or more. The findings about relatively positive Hispanic attitudes toward police have been confirmed by poll after poll, as concern about crime in their communities has spiked".

So I heard said this on Stephen Colbert last night.

Just like Democrats went for Biden over several other candidates because of electability, Trump may be facing the opposite problem next year. Not that is supporters don't like him but that he comes with too much baggage and therefore is less electable. Maybe go with DeSantis who is just like trump but without the baggage. (Trump -Light).

Come to think of it, maybe I should be rooting for Trump. Biden already beat him once and the issues/differences should be pretty clear to any undecided. Maybe some voters can't support Biden but no way want Trump back.

"as a matter of principle, as a matter of character, Trump has proven himself unworthy to be this country’s chief executive again."

"the riot raged and he sat watching TV, posting inflammatory tweets and refusing to send help"

These are both conservative publications. The tide is turning against Trump a little for now.

Looking at the odds on this website
The bookmakers still see a 45%-50% chance that Trump will be Republican candidate
De Santis is rated as a 25%-30% chance to be Republican candidate

The Republicans are very sightly favoured here to win the Presidency: https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2024/winning-party

The tide is turning against Trump a little for now.

I've seen some poll numbers that back that up. But so far its pretty slow. Me, the eternal optimist, thinks like a rock rolling downhill it will gain speed and momentum.

One of the people at the Hearings said her hope was that something could be done that would prevent him from holding office ever again. Although if not him, who? DeSantis. He is like a mini Trump.

The real problem is the Trumpers. Somehow we have to take the wind out of their sails. It occurs to me that they have always been there but were afraid or ashamed to come out of their basements. But Trump made them think it was ok to not only express their views but to....

Anyway whatever happened with that Dominion law suit.? Maybe a big shake up at Fox and NewsMax is what we need. like cutting off the oxygen to put out a fire.

• Agree
Reactions: KLS52
I think I saw an argument that the Dominion lawsuit led Murdoch (owner of Fox News) to reduce phony coverage of the 2020 election in his elections and make him less Trump. Don't think the argument quoted any good sources, so it could be speculation, but that is the theory.

I think I saw an argument that the Dominion lawsuit led Murdoch (owner of Fox News) to reduce phony coverage of the 2020 election in his elections and make him less Trump. Don't think the argument quoted any good sources, so it could be speculation, but that is the theory.
I heard the same thing. it was a while ago so I can't remember where.

but I do remember seeing reporting on newsman shying away from MyPillow guy

The country that has Ross Ulbricht, Julian Assange, and millions of people who used or sold drugs, rotting in prison is not the land of the free.

Reactions: silva
There are literally 2million people in prison for drug crimes in America, at this point is resembles more with the Soviet Union than the Land Of The Free.

• Agree
Reactions: silva
May be an image of one or more people and text that says 'What Democrats see: What Republicans see: Reality: ***'