US Politics-2022

I don't understand what you are saying, are you saying that gun control is controlling who gets to own guns? in which case gun control is a perfect description of these racist laws, or that that's what the racists laws where about, in which case red flag laws are also an example of the state deciding who can own guns, is that not gun control? If not what is it? What in the Second amendment is pro-gun control? It says that the people have the right to own guns, "the people" means everyone, the laws preventing black people from owning guns where a violation of the Second amendment
I'm not that up on 2nd amendment,but it was used to give slave holders the ability to corral the slaves, as they were could not be termed a 'militia'.
There may not laws preventing people from owning guns based on their race, but race certainly comes into play when they are seen, or suspected to be, armed.

Red flag laws-- how is that any different from felons not able to have guns? If you're a felon you lose the right to own a gun, even if the charge had nothing to do with violence or mental instability. Selling weed can be a felony and restrict your rights

Last edited:
It may be too late to avoid a decades long lurch to the right in the US. I'm furious with Democratic leadership acting like we just need to vote harder. They failed to make democratic reform the number one priority when they recently took control of the house and senate, when it was blaringly obvious the right was abandoning their commitment to democracy and would go to almost any length to preserve and extend their power. Instead they went for economic stimulus and infrastructure, as if we're in the political world of the 90s rather than on the precipice of far right authoritarian rule.

Still isn't. but it could become a campaigning issue.
Yes, I should have said was/is. :D It was even less so back then, though.
Yeah, some things that come to mind is birth control. Also health care and covering birth control.

Yes, not to mention LGBTQ+ rights. Clarence Thomas is already talking about going after same-sex marriage and the like. I'm hoping the rest of the court doesn't share his views. He is reprehensible on many levels.
My favorite is when a judge tells a minor she is not mature enough to make a decision on abortion but then why is she mature enough to raise a child?

Not to mention the financial difficulties some will face, as this will undoubtedly affect people will less means. And before anyone says, well then, don't have sex, sex is physiological thing/need/process, and tying it morality and religion again infuriates me. The whole Catholic BS about no sex before marriage, yada, yada, yada, is beyond annoying and ridiculous, IMHO. That's again tied to a patriarchal system that says it's OK for men to have sex at will, but not women because, you know, they have to be pure for marriage. <insert vomit emoji!!>
In Calfifornia they are writing a law based on Texas's abortion law. but about gun control. They are even using some of the same language. You know that is going to go to the Supreme Court and we will see some interesting legal contortions. However it probably will get overturned. Guns are a constitutional right. Abortion isn't.

Well, Roe basically made it a right...with regulation. And something like the 2nd Amendment needs regulation as well, IMHO. The Founders weren't able to foresee the evolution of weaponry. They didn't have to think about mass shootings in schools, malls, at concerts or shopping centers/stores. The rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are fine as a basis for the Constitution/Bill of Rights, but times change and sometimes the rules need to be adjusted. I have no problem with people having pistols, shotguns, whatever for protecting/defending themselves, but I don't believe people need/should have these guns that can basically kill a lot of people quickly.
The US is the only country with judges appointed for life. And the Supreme Court is the only American court without a code of ethics. Over the course of American history there have been many changes to the Supreme Court. Maybe now it will be apparent that we need some reform.

Agreed that we need reform, but we also need people who are intellectually equipped to keep religious ideology from tainting their work with regard to what is constitutional and what is not. I'm really not sure what the answer is as far as reform. I would have to give that some thought.
Another thing I am unreasonalbly optimistic now is diluting the power of the evangelicals. For 50 years they have been single issue voters. maybe now their single issue is gone and they can vote based on other issues. Could be good for the liberal agenda.

Oh, I have to disagree. This is just the beginning, kind of a test case, if you will. They've been at this for decades, and now they know they can get what they want with this current lineup of the court. This will only embolden them to attack the rights of others who don't fit their religious worldview, IMHO.

Last edited:
Well, Roe basically made it a right...with regulation. And something like the 2nd Amendment needs regulation as well, IMHO.
I just learned this yesterday: There is a long history and lots of precedents for gun regulation. Like in England before there were colonies they had rules about not taking wepons to the market.
in 1934, there was a very high tax on guns.

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
Don't hold your breath. The abortion issue is just their test case, to see if they truly own the Supreme Court. Now that they know they do, they have a whole agenda waiting to be implemented. There is same-sex marriage. The right of trans people to exist in public spaces. Eventually, racial intermarriage and a return of slavery. It won't all happen overnight, but that is where they are heading.
I doubt it, if something like that where to happen there would be a violent revolution over night, another reason why gun rights are important.
@anarchist100 Please, just one fairly recent example of armed citizens overtaking the governments decisions.

There is nothing about protecting 'innocent lives' in overturning abortion rights. The idea that they're leaving it to states ensures that those republicans who favor rights have access to other states and can still vote on the gun rights, ending any environmental regulations, give tax breaks to the rich,and now in the forefront, encourage white christianity and censorship of American history in schools

@anarchist100 Please, just one fairly recent example of armed citizens overtaking the governments decisions.

There is nothing about protecting 'innocent lives' in overturning abortion rights. The idea that they're leaving it to states ensures that those republicans who favor rights have access to other states and can still vote on the gun rights, ending any environmental regulations, give tax breaks to the rich,and now in the forefront, encourage white christianity and censorship of American history in schools
Well, the Vietnamese managed to fight off the Americans with little more than bamboo and rifles. Even if I couldn't overthrow them (which I probably can and would actually like to do), I don't want to be dependent on them for protection, I want my safety to be in my own hands.

Well, the Vietnamese managed to fight off the Americans with little more than bamboo and rifles. Even if I couldn't overthrow them (which I probably can and would actually like to do), I don't want to be dependent on them for protection, I want my safety to be in my own hands.
Sounds like you're saying you're willing to die for freedom....
I can't exactly say the Vietnamese "won", and they lost over 3,000,000 people

As for safety, again, it depends who you are and where you are for the same circumstance

Sounds like you're saying you're willing to die for freedom....
I can't exactly say the Vietnamese "won", and they lost over 3,000,000 people

As for safety, again, it depends who you are and where you are for the same circumstance
I am indeed willing to die for freedom, everyone (with the possible exception of children and people with severe mental illness) is safer if their means of defense are in their own hands and not that of an organization that may very well be the force that is aggressing upon them.

Just got a communication from TJX. I copied the main point: effective immediately, if an Associate, or their covered spouse or dependent, enrolled in one of our TJX Blue Cross Blue Shield medical plans needs to travel to access abortion services, our plan will now provide up to $5000 in travel expense reimbursement to get to a location where that care is legally available. For individual coverage questions and additional details, please contact Blue Cross Blue Shield at 800-859-4417.
I know several other companies are doing the same.

Just got a communication from TJX.
Good stuff but I thought we agreed to put all this kind of stuff here

Another good example of why I'm so disgusted with the neo-lib democrats, that prevent any real change.,
Pelosi gives her trademark speech of 'go out and vote' in response to the supreme courts decision, but she makes sure a nice moderate dem beat his more progessive opponant--after he voted against the Womans health protections. Of course she wasn't the only dem to support Henry Cueller:

Good stuff but I thought we agreed to put all this kind of stuff here

oops! I wasn't sure where to put it. I didn't know about that thread I guess.

One of the moderators created that thread after the abortion stuff took over the politics discussion.
I think that happened with gun control, too.
I wonder when we will need a Jan 6 thread. Maybe there is already one.
It seems like that is all anyone talks about now.

You can ask if its hot enough for you?
Whats up with those Giants?! (or your closest team)
or WTF is going on with SCOTUS??!!

I didn’t know about it either. Then I realized I’ve been clicking, “threads with your posts” not thinking I’m missing all of the other threads! Although I don’t participate in most of them but I don’t want to miss new ones. So I guess I’ll be going to new posts again. Or at least check every few days.

I recently heard that one million Americans have switched their preferred tyranny from blue tyranny to red tyranny after seeing how bad senile blue tyranny man did as CEO of America, perhaps orange red tyranny man will win by a land slide in 2024. I'll share the article if I see it again.

I recently heard that one million Americans have switched their preferred tyranny from blue tyranny to red tyranny after seeing how bad senile blue tyranny man did as CEO of America, perhaps orange red tyranny man will win by a land slide in 2024. I'll share the article if I see it again.
I have no love for Biden, but to call him senile while mentioning rump in the same sentence is nothing but ignorant.
Doesn't take any brains to be a sociopath, rump has no boundaries. Intelligent people know when they've gone too far

Reactions: Lou
I have no love for Biden, but to call him senile while mentioning rump in the same sentence is nothing but ignorant.
Doesn't take any brains to be a sociopath, rump has no boundaries. Intelligent people know when they've gone too far
They're both stupid, the main reason I called Biden senile and Trump orange because those are the things that they're most often made fun of about.

Reactions: silva
I am starting to hope in recent days, following recent Supreme Court rulings, and the January 6th hearings, that we may see a shift. Cross fingers.

My theory is that as long as the Republican party maintained a kind of 40% vs 60% minority rule in a sneaky way the American people would shrug it off, disagree with it, but not get organized.

But once it gets to a point of the 30% imposing their will on the 70% while being less sneaky and really laughing in everyone's faces about it then it's a change...and recent news moves more in that direction....people are going to get "mad as hell" and not "take this any more".

Something could just snap. Or just steadily build and build for a few years.

I'm hopeful more centrist and independents and moderates will think more about what's going on and vote democrat in 2022 or 2024.

Maybe I'm just blowing out steam from my liberal echo chamber. I think we need to keep an eye on polling data over the rest of the summer and see if there are any shifts in opinion.

I'm wondering if the Republicans have blown it. They've got themselves into a strong position of minority rule backed by businesses in a corrupt system and instead of just enjoying it they look like they are just going to get greedier and greedier until they just blow it.

I do think state rights are important, though. But the overall sense is also one of minority rule.

I guess my argument about minority rule is complicated a bit by the Republicans not having the Presidency or control of the houses. However they don't need that to block change.

• Agree
The other thing that cheers me is that Trump looks slightly less likely than some months back to be able to win the Presidency again, or even the Republican nomination.

• Agree