US Politics-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they haven´t already, I do think democrats need to address the concerns of the workers losing their jobs in the pipeline cancellation and other fossil fuel industries. The average American probably has job concerns. Maybe offer some compensation for workers losing their jobs, schemes to find new jobs, and of course keep pushing the (probably correct) argument that clean energy overall will lead to more jobs won that lost.
From everything I've read and heard Biden say, that is already in the works.

Biden is proposing a 1.9 trillion dollar stimulus plan. A lot of the money is targeted.
Health care workers
workers who have lost their jobs because of covid,
increased unemployment benefits
help for schools to reopen
child care tax credits.

Biden also has a plan for the greening of American industries.
included in that plan is to help workers and communities who are most affected by the shift away from polluting industries.

Reactions: Emma JC
What solid evidence does anyone really have that this “representative”government really performs any actions what of the people want for themselves? Is the story that the media tells us reflect anything an actual reality other than just a fake news story? Isn’t it just really a phony narrative of our corporate owners and global power structure? Isn’t Trump and Biden the same thing just a different brand package? You’re fooling yourself if you believe this five corporation media narrative. You’re wasting your time if you’re arguing with your friends and neighbors regarding this blue versus red scheme.The future holds the same thing as the past. More wars, more global destruction, more tax code, more pointless and arbitrary legislation, and more taxes sucking off the people. And of course, well have wasteful spending and currency depreciation and economic manipulation. And probably, my friends, plenty of tax subsidies for polluting and waste for farm factory production feeding the people toxic compounds that lead to early demise. Like I said, is there anyone who actually believes this scheme? If you look deeper, you have to give up on it.
Let me summarize what you've written:

The government never does what people want them to do.

All news is fake.

Trump and Biden have the same policies.

Legislation never provides benefits to people or the environment.

Nutrivegan, please provide proof of your own narrative. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Last edited:
Biden has nominated Dr. Vivek Murthy as U.S. Surgeon General. Dr. Murthy also served as Surgeon General under Obama from 2014 - 2017: Dr. Vivek Murthy ’03 Nominated as U.S. Surgeon General

Dr. Murthy's March 29, 2020 tweet displayed some accurate foresight:

"We need a national stay at home order. Needed it weeks ago. It remains the most powerful tool we have at this moment to reduce the spread of #covid19. The reluctance to call for such a policy represents a critical failure of federal leadership that will cost lives. (1/x)"
Link:

From a 2015 "Men's Health" magazine interview with Dr. Murthy:

"I would describe myself as a pescetarian. I eat fish, in addition to what’s largely a vegetarian diet."
Link: America’s New 37-Year-Old Surgeon General Believes Every Man Should Take His Advice (and So Do We)

Dr. Murthy's wife, Dr. Alice Chen, is the founder of the non-profit "Doctors for America"

1611454242077.png

Last edited:
Some of you may have spotted a headline similar to this.

Biden's 100-day deportation ban blocked by judge

The headline is a bit misleading.

All that happened is the a judge issued a temporary restraining order. Not sure how long the restriaining order lasts but all it does is keep the status quo till both sides can go thru the legal finagling. The next judge may allow for the deportation ban to stay.

Also the deportation ban is only temporary too. So we will have to see how this all plays out in congress and the courts.

• Informative
Reactions: Chryssie and KLS52
The campaign is complete. The election is a done deal. The Inauguration was great.

Time to move on.

I liked having a place to talk politics and news for the last year or so.
I'm proposing for those of you like minded souls to come visit here and have discussions.
We should have the thread for republican, and non-partisan vegans.

Last edited:
Reactions: David3
I don't see this as a democrat thread. It's just a general politics thread and the people contributing are mostly bringing a center-left perspective...the same perspective they'd bring to a republican or non-partisan thread.

Actually, I probably shouldn’t admit this on the world wide internet, lol, but I’ve been a conservative Republican my entire life. My views started changing when I became vegetarian in 2004, and then tried my hand at vegan in 2005...still striving for perfection in that regard. I still hold certain conservative values but they don’t seem to match the Republicans of today. When I try to blend my Catholic views with conservatives of today, they clash terribly. You can’t use Jesus as a point of argument and then go and vote against all He teaches by voting in someone like Donald Trump. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Biden has nominated Dr. Vivek Murthy as U.S. Surgeon General. Dr. Murthy also served as Surgeon General under Obama from 2014 - 2017: Dr. Vivek Murthy ’03 Nominated as U.S. Surgeon General

Dr. Murthy's March 29, 2020 tweet displayed some accurate foresight:

"We need a national stay at home order. Needed it weeks ago. It remains the most powerful tool we have at this moment to reduce the spread of #covid19. The reluctance to call for such a policy represents a critical failure of federal leadership that will cost lives. (1/x)"
Link:

From a 2015 "Men's Health" magazine interview with Dr. Murthy:

"I would describe myself as a pescetarian. I eat fish, in addition to what’s largely a vegetarian diet."
Link: America’s New 37-Year-Old Surgeon General Believes Every Man Should Take His Advice (and So Do We)

Dr. Murthy's wife, Dr. Alice Chen, is the founder of the non-profit "Doctors for America"

View attachment 23414
I read his book last year. It was very good. Strange as it is about loneliness and it came out just as we went into lockdown with the pandemic.

Together by Dr. Vivek Murthy

Trump's legal team has quit.
Well... its not like he needs a defense. The Republican Senators will never convict. He should probably just plead no contest, get acquitted and go home.

"Mr. Trump had pushed for his defense team to focus on his baseless claim that the election was stolen from him..."

This thread is politics 2021, that's about as non-partisan as you get!
A thread for republicans would be by it's title paritsan!
Yes but almost all the members here are democrats, we should have a place for non-democrats.

Reactions: David3
Yes but almost all the members here are democrats, we should have a place for non-democrats.

Do you feel like you can't say what you want here? I'd rather keep the politics confined to one thread. If you've got a different perspective on things maybe the rest of us would benefit from hearing it.

Do you feel like you can't say what you want here? I'd rather keep the politics confined to one thread. If you've got a different perspective on things maybe the rest of us would benefit from hearing it.
I suppose you're right, The people here tend to be more open minded than on all the debate sties I spend time on.

Reactions: Lou and David3
My concern is that it may become hostile to non-democrats at some point.

Honestly, the US has gone so far to the right, what we call radical liberals are simply what democrats were a decade or so ago.
I think the only thing that could turn this hostile is if we get some q-anon militants. Highly unlikely they'll get to stay- for other reasons I'm sure

Reactions: PTree15 and 1956
I’d like to think that won’t happen if everyone keeps their emotions in check. I’m guilty of spewing not so nice things about Trump because I felt safe doing so and knew several other members were in agreement of my views about him.
I admit that if you came in here saying how great you thought he was that it would be difficult for me to listen to that. But if you are genuine in what you say and strive for an intelligent debate, I’d like to think most of us could do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.