US Politics-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! There was simply Too much in that article for me to take it all in... However, what I did see to my Amazement was that Ronald Regan was rated as Best President in several polls? What? How is that even possible? I have been out of the USA for many years now but - I was there during the Regan years, and there is No way that I can imagine even ranking him as a good President!
Yes, I agree with you. The article actually discusses that. It says that sometimes, in some of the polls, Presidents will "improve" over time. GW Bush I think was their example.

IMHO Reagan was terrible.* but now it seems a lot of people remember him fondly. they even named an airport after him. My only explanation is that we have had worse presidents since so people might actually look back at hime and say, "well he wasn't so bad."

* seems like both control and abortion rights got politicized on his watch. And his economic policies were awful.

• Agree
Reactions: 1956
As I was not in the USA during the Obama years and was not watching any news or reading much about his tenure I don’t feel like I know much about it... What I have heard after the fact though is that the republicans in office at the time worked Really hard to ensure that he accomplished as little as possible... This is something that I can not understand, not saying that they should have made it Easy for him, just maybe try to work Together to accomplish something? This is what I think that Biden is trying to do... The whole Unity thing...will the republicans once again try to muck it up?

You have it exactly right. McConnel actually when he became leader of the senate his top priority was to make Obama a one term president. He was totally obstructionist.

Biden wants to give bipartisanship a chance. When he was a senator he was good at it. But the Dems in congress remember what happened to Obama and will only give this bipartisanship a chance for a little while. Maybe one thing that is different is that Obama didn't think he just had senate control for 2 years. Biden knows that could happen to him too. Plus the Covid thing has real urgency. So no one expects the Republicans to get so long a leash this time.

I miss re
As I was not in the USA during the Obama years and was not watching any news or reading much about his tenure I don’t feel like I know much about it... What I have heard after the fact though is that the republicans in office at the time worked Really hard to ensure that he accomplished as little as possible... This is something that I can not understand, not saying that they should have made it Easy for him, just maybe try to work Together to accomplish something? This is what I think that Biden is trying to do... The whole Unity thing...will the republicans once again try to muck it up?
That's the thing--Obama was far too interested in being inclusive. He had both house and senate and still waited on the republicans to give their support--and they screwed his policies every chance they got.
After these last 4 years of tyranny and forced changes Biden had better play hard ball or we'll be teaching flat earth theory in schools soon!

Yes, I agree with you. The article actually discusses that. It says that sometimes, in some of the polls, Presidents will "improve" over time. GW Bush I think was their example.

IMHO Reagan was terrible.* but now it seems a lot of people remember him fondly. they even named an airport after him. My only explanation is that we have had worse presidents since so people might actually look back at hime and say, "well he wasn't so bad."

* seems like both control and abortion rights got politicized on his watch. And his economic policies were awful.
Yeah, Reagan was awful, but he was charismatic. I think people really projected a lot on him that didn't happen.
He was also responsible for really screwing with Americas mental health protections, turning people from hospitals to prisons

• Agree
Reactions: Lou and PTree15
Yeah, Reagan was awful, but he was charismatic. I think people really projected a lot on him that didn't happen.
He was also responsible for really screwing with Americas mental health protections, turning people from hospitals to prisons
Agree with you that he was awful, however, the charismatic part I just don’t see...he always gave me the creeps!
I will Never forget where I was when he was shot, my boyfriend and I had driven down to Monterey and visited the very new Monterey bay Aquarium the day before the shooting...spent the night in a motel and saw it reported on tv in the morning...

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou
I was going to post this in the Republican thread (well, its about a Republican) but that seemed a little insensitive - even to me.

So today I learned that Lauren Boebert, the Q-Anon -curious, Republican congresswoman from Colorado got her GED in May. Just a month before the June primaries. And the Republican complain that AOC is unqualified. *

she has been arrested and summonsed at least four times over the past decade.
Plus a whole bunch of other stuff.

* Ocasio-Cortez attended Boston University, where she double-majored in international relations and economics, graduating cum laude

As if Vegans didn’t have a hard enough time already to be taken seriously - just heard that the Qanon shaman guy from the insurrection claims that he is a Vegan and has demanded he be served only Organic Vegan food in jail which is where he is..
Amazingly the judge has granted his request! Which in a way is Great in that it sets a precedent, the only problem is that he is Not a good representation of who Vegans are unfortunately...

• Agree
Reactions: Amy SF
As if Vegans didn’t have a hard enough time already to be taken seriously - just heard that the Qanon shaman guy from the insurrection claims that he is a Vegan and has demanded he be served only Organic Vegan food in jail which is where he is..
Amazingly the judge has granted his request! Which in a way is Great in that it sets a precedent, the only problem is that he is Not a good representation of who Vegans are unfortunately...

I didn't hear the vegan part. Just that he had to have organic food.

... Chansley went on an apparent hunger strike last week claiming non-organic food was against his religion and sickened him.​
....because he had been fed organic food in detention in Arizona, and arguments about his adherence to Shamanism were enough to also convince the judge.​
...i.n court, a person representing the Washington jail said Wednesday said that it would be difficult to accommodate Chansley, because organic meals were not available through any contracted food providers to the jail. The jail had also found no research to show that an organic diet was a tenet of Shamanism.​
Chansley wasn't able to name a religious need for organic food, emails between the jail and Chansley's lawyers show.​
...because he gets gastrointestinal distress from eating non-organic food that may have preservatives in it.​

No mention of veganism. I checked 5 other news sources as well.

I didn't hear the vegan part. Just that he had to have organic food.

... Chansley went on an apparent hunger strike last week claiming non-organic food was against his religion and sickened him.​
....because he had been fed organic food in detention in Arizona, and arguments about his adherence to Shamanism were enough to also convince the judge.​
...i.n court, a person representing the Washington jail said Wednesday said that it would be difficult to accommodate Chansley, because organic meals were not available through any contracted food providers to the jail. The jail had also found no research to show that an organic diet was a tenet of Shamanism.​
Chansley wasn't able to name a religious need for organic food, emails between the jail and Chansley's lawyers show.​
...because he gets gastrointestinal distress from eating non-organic food that may have preservatives in it.​

No mention of veganism. I checked 5 other news sources as well.
Oh that is strange, it was on CNN that I heard it! Maybe the presenter just said that thinking that being Vegan must have been his religion... Because she definitely said Vegan!

Oh that is strange, it was on CNN that I heard it! Maybe the presenter just said that thinking that being Vegan must have been his religion... Because she definitely said Vegan!
I hate to say this but maybe she was just thinking.
He must be crazy.
and vegans are crazy
Thus he must be vegan

PETA should write to CNN and demand an apology and a retraction.

Dear CNN,
We love to hear about people going vegan. But not this guy. Please retract your statement.
Obviously he is not vegan. Did you see NOT see his costume?!
If he does decide to embrace the vegan lifestyle, and get rid of the furs and horns, we would be glad to send him our Vegan Starter Kit.
Love PETA.

Reactions: Chryssie and 1956
I hate to say this but maybe she was just thinking.
He must be crazy.
and vegans are crazy
Thus he must be vegan

PETA should write to CNN and demand an apology and a retraction.

Dear CNN,
We love to hear about people going vegan. But not this guy. Please retract your statement.
Obviously he is not vegan. Did you see NOT see his costume?!
If he does decide to embrace the vegan lifestyle, and get rid of the furs and horns, we would be glad to send him our Vegan Starter Kit.
Love PETA.
Yep, I am afraid that you are probably right!

Reactions: Lou
Oh, I watched Rachel Maddow last night.
And I actually enjoyed watching the news. Hadn't felt positive about the news in a long time. Not too long ago I would stop watching the news for a few days or a week cause it was making me crazy.

I still have issues with her reporting style. She repeats stuff way too often*. But formerly I also didn't like how giddy she got while reporting the crazy stuff. But she was giddy last night reporting good stuff. so maybe giddy is just her style.

* I had thought that she knew people were making dinner while the show was on and not listening that carefully. but I just leaned that although she is on at 6PM on the west coast. the east coasters watch her at 9pm. So I don't know why she has to repeat stuff so often.

Oh, I watched Rachel Maddow last night.
And I actually enjoyed watching the news. Hadn't felt positive about the news in a long time. Not too long ago I would stop watching the news for a few days or a week cause it was making me crazy.

I still have issues with her reporting style. She repeats stuff way too often*. But formerly I also didn't like how giddy she got while reporting the crazy stuff. But she was giddy last night reporting good stuff. so maybe giddy is just her style.

* I had thought that she knew people were making dinner while the show was on and not listening that carefully. but I just leaned that although she is on at 6PM on the west coast. the east coasters watch her at 9pm. So I don't know why she has to repeat stuff so often.
I love Rachel, and wouldn't call her 'giddy', but rather quite passionate about her reporting. She's discovered more facts about the news that gets under reported elsewhere.
Have you looked into her books?Blowout, or drift?

Reactions: Emma JC
I love Rachel, and wouldn't call her 'giddy', but rather quite passionate about her reporting. She's discovered more facts about the news that gets under reported elsewhere.
Have you looked into her books?Blowout, or drift?
Giddy may not be the right word. Gleeful?
I thought that she seemed to enjoy reporting the bat crazy stuff a little too much. Since there was so little good news for years, I hadn't realized that she also enjoys reporting good stuff.

I read drift when it first came out. I no longer remember much about it - except that I thought it was great.

I haven't gotten to blowout yet. I think I may have been waiting for the ebook version. After she plugged it last night I went back to my libraries, website and they have the ebook version, but there is a waiting list. I put myself on the waiting list.

Reactions: Emma JC
And yet another way these white terrorists are being handled with gloves-- Muslims are often served pork, and vegans on stupid drug charges starve.
I believe the "sham-man" was yet another one allowed to go home and hide his weapons. He was known for having a stun gun as his staff

I am so embarrassed. A couple of weeks ago I was worried that the late night comedians would run out of jokes. But the jokes just keep coming.

Context: Dominion, one of the companies that makes voting machines, has warned that a billion dollar slander lawsuit is imminent. The guy on the right is the My Pillow guy. He got banned on twitter for spouting lies about the election. Newsmax invited him on the show to discuss getting banned by twitter. but he can't stop telling lies, on TV. Newsmax tries for some damage control.

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
Status
Not open for further replies.