US Politics-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
But what has he ever done to YOU?
Well as for me personally, now I can't legally buy an AK-47, and with this vaccine passport system which he contributed to, I can no longer eat in a restaurant legally without a government issued photo ID.

Go Trudeau!
I like that he is encouraging people to get the vaccine.
and I'm glad he is blocking the sales of assault weapons. (to minors?)

Reactions: Emma JC and Amy SF
I'm glad he is blocking the sales of assault weapons. (to minors?)

Trudeau has no idea about guns. Do you even know what the ban was? All this new Trudeau gun law has done is punish perfectly legal gun owners from owning semi-auto guns that look like assault rifles, then leaving all other semi-auto rifles/weapons of the exact same calibers on store shelves. He even banned some bolt action rifles, which doesn't make any sense either.

So if it looked sinister, it got banned, and if it looked like a hunting rifle, it wasn't banned. I can still go buy a semi-auto .308 caliber rifle and go crazy....if that was my goal.

The laws for attaining guns in Canada is the exact same as it's been for several decades. It's no more difficult now than it was before Trudeau's stupid ban on assault style rifles for minors to go purchase guns of any kind, with the exception being maybe airsoft or bb guns. Those are still attainable at hardware stores, but with an age 18 and over restriction only.

All other guns purchased in Canada require a mandatory gun safety course, plus the PAL or possession and acquisition license. A minor under 18 can still possess a gun with a special minor's license, but they are NOT allowed to buy guns or ammunition under any circumstances.

This whole gun ban really upset me, as it not only wasted tax payers money, but it did absolutely nothing to curb gun violence in Canada. I can guarantee you that the bad people, gangs, etc. that use guns for nefarious reasons in Canada will still have no problem attaining whatever they need through the black market. Absolutely nothing has changed to protect Canadians from gun violence, nothing! It's not legal gun owners that are the problem in Canada, but that's who this gun law punished.

Read here if you want to know more about this marvelous ban on assault weapons in Canada. This CBC article pretty well sums up all those wonderful benefits *sarcasm intended*

• Informative
Reactions: Lou
When a teenager consumed by political propaganda laments not being able to buy an AK-47 something is going right.

I've always thought it'd be fun to own a bunch of high powered weapons like that. But I don't need toys that kill people and I don't live in fear of getting into a shoot out with the bad guys, so I spend my money on better things.

I've always thought it'd be fun to own a bunch of high powered weapons like that. But I don't need toys that kill people and I don't live in fear of getting into a shoot out with the bad guys, so I spend my money on better things.

First of all, guns aren't for everyone. I don't promote them and I don't condemn them either. They are simply a tool.

The thing in Canada is if you are storing your guns legally, as you are supposed to, the chances of using it for some sort of protection would be slim to near impossible. For example, I own a 9 MM handgun that I take to the range once every couple of weeks for target shooting. When it's stored at home, the trigger is locked, then it's locked in a gun case, and then that is locked in a gun safe. On top of that, the ammunition is also required by law to be stored separately, and also locked. So the fact is that by the time I got my gun loaded, any bad guys breaking into my home would have come and gone already.

I might also point out that guns are far from what I would call a "toy". It is a tool, and that tool can be used dangerously, like many others can be. It can be a fun tool used recreationally, but definitely no toy.

My appreciation for guns goes back to my childhood. I've owned one since as long as I can remember. Yes, I used to hunt, but I was raised in a family that hunted to put food on our table. We were poor growing up, and my father did what he was able to to provide for a large family. Now it's simply a hobby that I enjoy.

Nowadays I go to the range and plink. I will own a gun as long as I am legally allowed to, and as long as I can see well enough to shoot.

Reactions: Sax
Go Trudeau!
I like that he is encouraging people to get the vaccine.
I don't mind it if he's encouraging people to get it, what he's doing is coercing people to get it! It's not consent if I'm afraid to say no.
and I'm glad he is blocking the sales of assault weapons.
If people don't have guns we'll be totally dependent on the government for protection, is that what you want?
(to minors?)
Got a few problems with that, first off I consider twelve to be the age at which one becomes an adult, second "Minor" is an ageist slur, please don't use it, and third self defense is a natural right regardless of age.

I might also point out that guns are far from what I would call a "toy". It is a tool, and that tool can be used dangerously, like many others can be. It can be a fun tool used recreationally, but definitely no toy.

I've shot rifles several times....super fun! But I don't have a desire to take up target shooting with any kind of discipline. For my purposes a rifle would be a toy. That's why I don't own one.

I have a Ruger LCP. Years ago I was living and working in downtown Seattle after breaking both my ankles, and for the first time in my life couldn't fight or run. So I got a pistol to carry purely for defense. It's tiny and wimpy looking...there's nothing fun or cool about it, but it made a good EDC. So I get the tool aspect of gun ownership. Nowadays it stays unloaded and locked away and I feel perfectly safe without it.

Alexandra Pelosi did a documentary film highlighting immigrants to the US who had just become citizens and why they became citizens. One man said he moved to the US from Canada because in Canada he couldn’t own a lot of guns. My immediate thought: Um, shouldn’t the government keep a close watch on this guy? Who moves to an entirely different country just so he can own guns?

Alexandra Pelosi did a documentary film highlighting immigrants to the US who had just become citizens and why they became citizens. One man said he moved to the US from Canada because in Canada he couldn’t own a lot of guns. My immediate thought: Um, shouldn’t the government keep a close watch on this guy? Who moves to an entirely different country just so he can own guns?
A guy who doesn't trust pedophiles and war criminals to protect him from their own business partners.

A true American 😆

I'm glad that someone in the media pointed this out.

• The disappearance of Gabby Petito, possibly in Wyoming, has caused a national outcry.
  • In the same state, 710 Indigenous people were reported missing from 2011-2020, a report found.
  • Despite the extent of the issue, missing and murdered Indigenous people get less media coverage.
  • The disappearance of Gabby Petito launched a social media frenzy and nonstop media coverage since she was reported missing, possibly from the state of Wyoming, where she and her boyfriend Brian Laundrie were said to be visiting Grand Teton National Park.

But hundreds of cases of Indigenous people reported missing in the exact same state over the past decade have not been met with the same furor.

710 Indigenous people, mostly girls, were reported missing over the past decade in Wyoming, the same state where Gabby Petito reportedly disappeared
https://news.yahoo.com/710-indigenous-people-mostly-girls-042150990.html
https://news.yahoo.com/710-indigenous-people-mostly-girls-042150990.html

I'm glad that someone in the media pointed this out.

• The disappearance of Gabby Petito, possibly in Wyoming, has caused a national outcry.
  • In the same state, 710 Indigenous people were reported missing from 2011-2020, a report found.
  • Despite the extent of the issue, missing and murdered Indigenous people get less media coverage.
  • The disappearance of Gabby Petito launched a social media frenzy and nonstop media coverage since she was reported missing, possibly from the state of Wyoming, where she and her boyfriend Brian Laundrie were said to be visiting Grand Teton National Park.

But hundreds of cases of Indigenous people reported missing in the exact same state over the past decade have not been met with the same furor.

710 Indigenous people, mostly girls, were reported missing over the past decade in Wyoming, the same state where Gabby Petito reportedly disappeared
I had the same thought. Every time a white woman goes missing, it becomes a national story, with everyone following along and hoping she’s discovered safe and sound. That usually doesn’t happen with PoC.

Status
Not open for further replies.