US Politics-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty good article.
Here are some of my favorite quotes.

More voters say COVID is the most important issue facing the state than anything else, according to a new poll from the Public Policy Institute of California.​
Those numbers mirror national trends. Majorities of Americans have consistently said they approve of how Biden has handled the pandemic, according to recent Yahoo News/YouGov polling, giving him higher marks than on other issues. And an August Yahoo News/YouGov poll showed that just 41 percent of Americans blame the Biden administration for “the new surge of COVID cases in the U.S.,” versus 67 percent who blame “Americans who refuse to wear masks and take other precautions” and 66 percent who blame “unvaccinated Americans.” As a result, 56 percent say the U.S. should be lifting coronavirus restrictions more slowly “given the emergence of the Delta variant”; just 12 percent say restrictions should be lifted more quickly.​
At the time, many Americans hoped that so-called herd immunity was on the horizon and that vaccines would soon vanquish the virus. In that context, the hands-off vision of Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, among other Republicans, looked alluring. No indoor mask mandates. No vaccine requirements. No more stress on families or businesses. Just live your life as if the pandemic was already over, and soon it would be.​
Then came Delta. Now, a few months later, Florida has become one of the only states where more people are dying of COVID each day — long after free, safe and effective vaccines became widely available to all Americans age 12 or older — than during any previous wave of the virus. In fact, the Sunshine State is now recording nearly twice as many daily COVID deaths (350 on average) than it was at last summer’s peak (185). No other state comes close.​
n contrast, Californians are dying of COVID-19 at a lower rate today (103 per day) than last summer (140 per day), despite the fact that Delta is twice as transmissible as the initial strain of SARS-CoV-2, which was circulating in 2020. That’s the kind of progress you would expect after vaccination.​
As Ashish Jha, dean of the Brown University School of Public Health, recently tweeted, “Cumulatively, CA and FL had similar death rates until April 2021. The states then started separating. Now, cumulative deaths [are] 30% higher (per capita) in FL than CA.” If Florida had instead gone on to match California’s cumulative per capita death rate, about 11,000 Floridians who have succumbed to COVID would still be alive today.​
Why the divergence? Florida’s full vaccination rate (54 percent) is only slightly lower than California’s (57 percent), so immunity is only part of the story. The same goes for demographics; Florida had more elderly residents than California last summer too.​
According to Jha, the real problem has been Florida’s “abrogation of other public health measures.”​
“CA continues masking, testing, pushing vax,” he explained. “FL? Not so much.”​
During California’s bout with Delta, there have been no lockdowns, no business closures, no official curbs on indoor drinking or dining — just a general public bias toward caution that is both reflected and reinforced by indoor mask mandates (along with an emerging trend toward vaccine requirements, particularly for health, school and government employees).​
In contrast, DeSantis doubled down on his opposition to mask and vaccine mandates when Delta took off, prohibiting local governments, local businesses and even local school districts from implementing such policies — and therefore discouraging Floridians themselves from behaving more cautiously.​
As a result, the final choice for voters — as dramatized by the South’s horrific summer surge and hammered home by Elder’s vow to “fight any and all vaccine and mask mandates at [the] state and local level” — was between continuing to exercise the kind of basic precautions that already seemed to helping California keep Delta in check and letting the virus rip like DeSantis & Co., just as kids head back to school.​

Look at the statistics on the pandemic in Florida for one thing. Look at his record and his obvious lust to be Trump's golden boy successor.

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
Reactions: Lou and Amy SF
I was watching the CNN special report last night and one of the things that they kept coming back to what that there wasn't too many takeaways that you could export to other states. California is just so blue.

but one possible takeaway is that Covid is a big issue with like 75% of All voters. Contrasting California to Florida kept coming up. Newsom vs Desantis and Abbott. Some red states might turn blue because they get tired of dying or cause the base is all dead.

Thank you to everyone that voted and campaigned! Lou, I think that included you as I recall. Best wishes.

In reality, we can define California into two parts.

The cities are overwhelmingly blue.
And the rest is quite a mix.

Again, the urban-country or big city-small town divide is bigger than the red state/blue state divide.

Go here:

Or here:

And then hover over each area to see results.

We can thank the people of San Francisco, Los Angeles and Silicon Valley (and nearby areas) that the Republicans struggle in the state. If 80% of people are voting Democrat there....that´s pretty hard to make up elsewhere.

The rest of the state apart from those three areas is pretty much 50/50.

I posted a comment on Facebook in support of the Afghan refugees resettling in California, and got slammed with xenophobic responses. 🤦🏻‍♀️ I haven’t deleted my comment, though. Let the people who used this emoji 😡 to react to the news story I commented on pee into their undies for a while. The refugees are HERE. They’re not going anywhere. And they’re here legally.

Oh, and one of the first things Newsom did once the recall election was over was sign a bill repealing a state law requiring only single family homes in new developments (I’m not sure of the details of the law.) This supposedly will go a long way towards solving the state’s homeless crisis, since it will allow for the building of duplexes and other multifamily structures. One of the biggest criticisms of Newsom was supposedly his failure to do something about the homeless crisis, and here he has actually done something. That’s something that he can campaign on next year when the regular gubernatorial election comes up.

Reactions: silva and KLS52
Oh, and one of the first things Newsom did once the recall election was over was sign a bill repealing a state law requiring only single family homes in new developments (I’m not sure of the details of the law.) This supposedly will go a long way towards solving the state’s homeless crisis, since it will allow for the building of duplexes and other multifamily structures. One of the biggest criticisms of Newsom was supposedly his failure to do something about the homeless crisis, and here he has actually done something. That’s something that he can campaign on next year when the regular gubernatorial election comes up.
I take issue with those characterizations.

The state of California spent millions (billions?) on hotel rooms for the homeless. I think covid was the big incentive but I think Newsome and California have done a lot for the homeless. Its too bad that the problem reached the level it did. But that homeless has been an issue for years and years. It didn't get so bad on Newsome's watch and granted he could be doing more but I think he is doing something.

Reactions: Emma JC and Amy SF
Why? What has he ever done to you?
Vaccine passports, gun control, idiotic irresponsible spending, failing to provide clean water to remote native communities, and his antipathy for animals and those who stand up them.

Status
Not open for further replies.