US Politics-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with everthing you said but....
he and his cronies might all be serving jail sentences by then. 🤞

Only about half of the likely Republican voters will vote for Trump, maybe a bit more of those who can't or won't vote for a Democrat no matter what. but that is for sure a recipe for defeat. Some Republican leaders may recognize that and fight for a different candidate. but not sure if they have one.

I also think it depends A LOT on how good a job Biden does. If the Democrats get their stuff together and get some Good Bills passed - a lot of normal voters should/would be happy to re-elect Democrats.

Will the Republicans be able to win more seats in the mid-term elections or tilt the next presidential election in their favour through their renewed efforts with voter suppression tactics?

I heard someone on American TV news the other day say that this new Dem opponent to Marco Rubio in Florida could definitely win on an even playing field, but as Florida is very much not an even playing field (due to Republican voter suppression measures), she would be facing an uphill battle.

From what I understand, any bill passed now won't go into affect till January. I should double check that.
And all of these bills are being challenged in court.

Lots of groups sue states over these kinds of bills. But the ACLU is on the top of the list. I will have to find out if anyone keeps track. Like what is the ACLU's batting average. I do know that they won 28 suits in about that many states in 2020.

There is this one lawyer I saw being interviewed on MSNBC, I don't remember his name or what organization he works for but he was something like 9 for 9 so far.

And its not just the ACLU. The Florida bill has 3 different suits by a collection of groups.

The language in a lot of these bills are very similar. In some cases exactly the same. (the same group probably wrote all of them). Once the ACLU knows how to defeat one - they will all go down. If I remember correctly the Texan bill includes language from other bills that have already been overturned.

The Florida bill might even harm Republicans more than they help them. It is going to make it much harder to mail in votes. And in Florida the two groups that are well represented are service men and the elderly - both of those tend to vote Republican and rely on mail in votes.

I also don't see some of the aspects of the voter suppression bills to be legitimate threats. Some of these states are already pretty hard to vote in. Georgia for instance turned blue despite how hard it is to vote.

And... this kind of blatant voter suppression will mobilize activists. One group that is under represented at the polls is the 18- 25 crowd. Maybe this kind of stuff will get them activated.

some of the aspects I find very very troublesome. The extra powers they give to election officials and secretary of states if very scary. Combined with the number of experienced election officials who are quitting because of harassment makes this even more troublesome.

I'm a member of MoveOn and Indivisible. Both of my local chapters don't have a lot to do because my county and state are so blue. I expect to be relegated to contributions and some post card writing. But I hear from the other chapters and there are already a lot of stuff planned for the Red States.

For example.

And then there is this.

Also maybe Manchin has a point about the HR 1 voting rights bill being too broad and messy. It contains the John Lewis Voting Rights Act which has passed the floor and has Manchin's support. maybe the dems can get that passed on its own.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of Trump either, but what did he do that makes you want to put him in prison?
@silva

Thanks for that list.
What I was going to say was...

1. he was impeached for that phone call to the Ukraine. but the Senate wouldn't convict him.
There was still testimonies that never made it into the record. But not sure we even need more evidence. the transcript should have been enough. Trump could still be indicted for campaign violations. However that is just small potatoes. maybe just a few years.

2. the second impeachment was about incitement to riot. McConnell said, "There is no question, none, that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day,". because he was president McConnell felt that he should not be convicted. Well he is no longer president. How about indicting him and convicting him now?

3. the Georgia Secretary of State has opened an investigation and convened a grand jury to determine if Trump was guilty of election interference. Stay tuned.

4. the NY Attorney General has opened an investigation and convened a grand jury to determine if Trump and Trump Org is guilty of tax evasion. bank and wire fraud, too.

5. Micheal Cohen was convicted and sentenced for campaign fund violations. He can testify that Trump gave him the order. We even have the signed checks.

6. All the stuff in the Mueller Report. Mueller didn't think a president could be held accountable but he still explained something like 9 ways Trump Did obstruct justice.

I could go on and on....

Last edited:
From the outside viewing in from overseas, both CNN and Fox News seem to give their own interpretation in the presentation of political news instead of what is actually happening in the political scene

Reactions: KLS52
From the outside viewing in from overseas, both CNN and Fox News seem to give their own interpretation in the presentation of political news instead of what is actually happening in the political scene
If I may suggest an analogy. CNN is like using a paper towel tube instead of a wide angle lens. While Fox is like using a kaleidoscope instead of a telescope.

That because that is what they're doing.

Reactions: Blues
If I may suggest an analogy. CNN is like using a paper towel tube instead of a wide angle lens. While Fox is like using a kaleidoscope instead of a telescope.
I think your judgment might be based on your own partisan perception of truth, when you see the democrat or republican party narrative as objective truth you fail to recognize bias

I think your judgment might be based on your own partisan perception of truth, when you see the democrat or republican party narrative as objective truth you fail to recognize bias
I can see why you might think that but.
I did say CNN was like a paper towel tube and not a wide angle lens.
I couldn't give Fox even that much credit. their viewpoint isn't just narrow but not really based on reality. Fractured and distorted. You know I really like my analogy better now.

• Agree
Reactions: Second Summer
The only way to avoid having your money tracked and taxed by the authoritarian state is to be done with fiat currency.

But the democrats are pushing some of the authoritarian policies that I'm worried about.
Well, you are Canadian, so.......
You seem very obsessed over 'authoritarian'. It's a very malleable word that gets thrown around a lot

Reactions: KLS52
What party want's to remove the most vital parts of American history in order to perserve the status quo?
What party wants to control womens bodies?
What party wants to further ensure the wealthy unlimited corporate welfare, tax breaks, and no estate tax?
What party uses both the 1st and 2nd amendment to further the illusion of lower class freedom and perpetuate the right of hate speech and false information?

Well, you are Canadian, so.......
You seem very obsessed over 'authoritarian'. It's a very malleable word that gets thrown around a lot
No it's not, authoritarian means less individual freedoms, and more state control over individual's lives.

What party want's to remove the most vital parts of American history in order to perserve the status quo?
What party wants to control womens bodies?
What party wants to further ensure the wealthy unlimited corporate welfare, tax breaks, and no estate tax?
These are all good points, and I agree with you, the republican party is no better than the democrats.
What party uses both the 1st and 2nd amendment to further the illusion of lower class freedom and perpetuate the right of hate speech and false information?
I don't think you understand what authoritarianism means, there's nothing authoritarian about freedom of expression, and the right to defend one's self independently of the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.