US Politics-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I have no opinion on the Bill Gates project, I cringe at the hypocrisy of hearing people who believe in the freedom to erode the ozone, dump chemicals into waterways on "owned" property, and create hazardous waste for profit. Yeah, entire species lost, cities lost to flooding, fires spreading through countries--all that's just fine because ..... freedom

Reactions: Second Summer
Wait, wait, Tucker Carlson? Isn't that that the guy whose defense in a defamation suit was that no reasonable person would believe anything he says?

oh, yeah, it was.

Dimming the sun doesn't remove CO2 from the atmosphere so you would have to keep it up permanently and if it ever failed you would be suddenly be hit with much worse global warming all at once.

It doesn't fix the ocean acidification problem which is a very serious problem in its own right. CO2 causes both ocean acidification and global warming.

It may change weather in other ways - by some accounts it could mess things up pretty badly for Africa.

These tech solutions to climate change can give people the idea that we might get away without needing emissions reduction.

They are probably a bad idea but can't be altogether ruled out incase things get very bad.

Bill Gates is actually mostly focused on tech solutions to reduce emissions, with a smaller interest in geoengineering. He doesn't want to geoengineer now, but he wants to have the tech ready as an emergency backup plan incase of need.

Wait, wait, Tucker Carlson? Isn't that that the guy whose defense in a defamation suit was that no reasonable person would believe anything he says?

oh, yeah, it was.

"I can accept one statement and then reject the next one when spoken by the same mouth" -David Icke.

Sure he does lie about things, but he's not lying about this.
Here are some other sources

It's JUST a study. Research. could be a last resort emergency measure.
Carson is making mountains out of molehills. Just being inflammatory. he does it for the ratings. he is not a real journalist. and what he does only resembles journalism.

On the other hand, he gives comedians something to make fun of. Nowadays we could all use a good laugh.

I was going to post a Late Show segment. But there are just too many to choose from.

But here are two good ones.

Last edited:
"I can accept one statement and then reject the next one when spoken by the same mouth" -David Icke.

Here are some other sources
Do you subcribe to popular mechanics or did you post a google link? None of the above agree with what tucker proposed

Tucker Carlson is a joke.

If you make a habit of posting a link to his "content", people will stop taking you seriously.

Osama Bin Laden did not cause 9 11.

And yes, I think that is a very lovely quote.
Who said he did?
A broken clock may be right twice a day, but they are of no use to me. I prefer to rely on those with better track records.
When you listen to those that have known to be wrong, evil, lying....it becomes increasingly harder to pick out what is actually sensible
You've proven that

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
Who said he did?
A broken clock may be right twice a day, but they are of no use to me. I prefer to rely on those with better track records.
When you listen to those that have known to be wrong, evil, lying....it becomes increasingly harder to pick out what is actually sensible
You've proven that
You should choose what is logical for yourself, people who lie can also tell the truth, and people who tell the truth can also lie, your judgment of the statement should rely on you're own logic and reason, not who said it.

You should choose what is logical for yourself, people who lie can also tell the truth, and people who tell the truth can also lie, your judgment of the statement should rely on you're own logic and reason, not who said it.

One of the most important things to take into inconsideration is INTENT.

I'm not sure if tucker Carson is right as often as twice a day.

Tucker says his stuff not to inform people of the truth (which is a reporters job) but to mislead, inflame, and appeal to his Trump supporting audience.

People who get paid to tell the truth (or consider truth telling to be a virtue) may inadvertently repeat a lie.
Tucker Carson is not one of those people.
We must all strive to not give lies credence. Lies are already powerful enough - they don't need our help.

Reactions: PTree15
Tucker Carlson is a dangerous demagogue. He has nothing of interest or value to say however I suspect his views do represent a significant proportion of the American people. In that sense, ignoring him ignores them.

To some extent, his popularity might be a reaction to the left dominating the media in the US. One way to reduce the power of Tucker Carlson would be for the left media to address their own biases and mistakes.

The reaction to the killing of George Floyd was a case in point. You had CNN talking about how peaceful the protests were while there was literally a fire in the background, and the left media hardly mentioning the COVID risks of large gatherings, even after having done so for some right wing protests that happened some weeks before. This kind of obvious bias is a turn off. The national media in the US is now as much a part of the left within a broader culture war as it is seeking the truth or representing the people. And it leaves people understandably wanting to abandon channels like CNN and look elsewhere.

Once you decide to ignore any left media, it´s hard to think of any decent right wing (or even centrist) outlets in the US at all, either TV channels, news sites, or anything else? So I imagine people just gravitate to Fox News as the only default mainstream non-left option.

The first time I saw Fox News in a hotel room in one of my first visits to the US many years ago, I can honestly say I still wasn´t sure after watching it for half an hour whether it was a genuine news show or some spoof joke show like a TV version of the Onion!

It would be great if Fox would sack Hannity and Carlson, take the short-term ratings hit, and try and re-establish themselves as a non-demagogue centrist or centre/right channel. Or just someone set up a new genuinely mainstream American national channel or news site that is centrist ideologically.

CNN and MSNBC do lean to the left.
However there are many centrist / moderate/ neutral news outlets
And even CNN and MSNBC only lean a little to the left.
Somone here has posted some graphs on how the tv stations lean. And how accurate they are.
Here it is.

America has become so extreme right that now centrist views are seen as leftist 🙄
Seriously, when George W Bush and Liz Cheney sound reasonable, and go against their repub peers you know it's bad!

• Agree

This story and ones like it are getting a ton of air time and column inches. The liberals pretty much just commenting on the conservative commentary.

What I find especially interesting (and weird) is that there isn't a real news story here (or just a kernel of one). Its more or less just people commenting on the other sides comments. Kind of like an echo chamber. The more people yell - the noisier it gets.

I find myself in a strange position. I am in favor of the conservatives imaginary Biden proposal. Yes they are saying it to create pushback and fear among their constituents. But I find myself reacting by thinking, oh, yeah, thats a great idea! Let's Do It!

The problem is that if I was to endorse this (maybe start a petition in support of the meat ban) it probably would have the opposite effect. and only make a meat ban even more unlikely.

In reality, a meat ban (or any government plan to put limits on meat consumptions) is not only unlikely but also the wrong way to go about it. As the conservatives have just illustrated, there would be a lot of pushback. (just look at the amount of pushback on a fictional proposal).

The way to do this is a more sneaky and more incremental approach. There are so many ways the federal government (and state governments) support the livestock industry and insure inexpensive meat. We may not even need a plan - just the right people in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.