Playing with recipes. please let me know what you think.

SkunkFour

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Omnivore
I'd first like to say I apologize in advance for anything that may seem thick headed. I'm not a vegetarian nor vegan. I'm trying to learn a couple new skills using ingredients I'm not used to. I had a bad experience at a restaurant and I figured I shouldn't complain. That instead I should make food that I enjoy and hopefully others will too. I plan on just making notes and tweaking recipes here. Any advice or comments on the recipes would be very much appreciated.

-SkunkFour

Tofu Quiche (Classic french tweaked)

Pie Crust (makes 1 double crust or 2 thinner crusts)
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup coconut oil chilled til solid (or non dairy margarine)
1/2 cup all vegetable shortening chilled
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp raw sugar grinded (use whatever sugar you like)
6-8 tbsp ice cold water

Directions
-Sift flour, salt and sugar together.

-Cut the coconut oil and vegetable into squares and add to dry ingredients.

-Using food processor or forks blend together until the flour has coarse crumbs

-Add water tbsp at a time until dough starts to hold barely and you can begin to work it into a crust. If to dry add water til happy.

-Roll out and put in pie tin.

Filling

1 lb firm tofu drained
1/2 lb mushrooms chopped
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic minced(maybe)
1/2 cup soy milk
3/4 tsp white pepper(whatever works, I find white pepper adds a nice kick)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp dijon mustard
1 cup roasted cherry tomatoes diced with a little olive oil
3/4 cup shredded or crumpled nut cheese

Directions

-Preheat oven to 400 degrees poke holes in base of pie crust and bake for 10-12 minutes

-Saute onions, mushrooms, garlic until onions are translucent and soften

-Blend tofu, soy milk, mustard, pepper, salt, nutmeg and blend til smooth.

-Fold vegetables and cheese into tofu mix until well mixed. Pour into pie crust.

-Bake for 35-40 minutes then let cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting.

Any comments will be appreciated greatly. Also if anyone knows of a good nut cheese that is sharp please let me know. Also if you have a recipe you really enjoy please share it.

Not vegetarian or vegan? Interesting that you joined the site. Welcome! Your quiche sounds good.

Do you ever think about the moral and health consequences of consuming animal products? There's an immense amount of cruelty and suffering inherent in the mass production of animal products, and none of it is necessary. That probably isn't news to you, but please think on it and ask yourself if you can really justify not going vegan.

Here are a few free documentaries if you'd like to learn more:

You had to expect that, right? ;)

I just wanted honest opinions on recipes. It's a food thing for me. I even made sure to read the rules before posting. I really don't want to get into an argument about personal beliefs. I did expect it but I was also trying to be respectful towards the community. I do respect what you have to say and believe in. It's just not how I feel or what I believe. I threw my morals and health out the window a many moons ago. I've seen stuff way worse than what are in those videos. So I'll be me and you be you. Hopefully we can swap recipes. Cause good food is good food.

I would keep the garlic in the recipe probably since I'm a garlic nut. I've heard good things about violife cheese but you have to order it online unless you can find it in a store. I do believe they have a sharp cheddar but not sure. I know they have a bunch of different flavors.

Yeah garlic is the best. I plan on making two small ones so I can push it in my head you need to season tofu. Thank you for letting me know about violife. I just ordered some and I'm kinda excited to see how it melts and taste. Also got some of the parm and cream cheese. Thanks again.