Nutritional Yeast

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I sprinkle yeast flakes on anything that is savoury and have often wondered how it is manufactured.

1622449169604.png

'''Those flavours are a result of how nutritional yeast is made: A living strain of saccharomyces cerevisiae yeast—which is also commonly found in bread and beer—is fed a glucose-rich carbohydrate, like corn dextrose or beet molasses, inside fermentation chambers. This process cultivates the yeast, letting it grow, cell by cell, by forming proteins that make up its cell walls.

Yeast geneticist Sudeep Agarwala, who’s a program director and biological engineer at Ginkgo Bioworks, explains, "We know how to control the yeast breathing, so inside of fermentation containers, it's like a yeast yoga class. They're all inhaling and all exhaling at the same time."

Once the yeast matures, which can take up to two weeks depending on the amount of yeast and other factors, it’s heated, pasteurised, and dried, which kills it. (Eating active yeast results in dietary distress!) As its cells die, the proteins that made up its cells break down and amino acids like glutamic acid, which is naturally found in many fruits and vegetables, are released. It's this glutamate that gives nutritional yeast its cheese-like umami flavor. (Nutritional yeast has no added monosodium glutamate or salt.)''

Nutritional Yeast: What It Is, How It’s Made, and How to Use It

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and silva
Oh no...I’m afraid to read it because I use a ton of nutritional yeast...is it bad?

I seem to recall another discussion about negatives of nutritional yeast and thinking I should cut back but I never did. ☹️

I've been using more since I discovered how much tastier the non fortified versions are.
I think more people start using it for B12, and not the taste. A same because those little B12 tabs can be so tasty!

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I've been using more since I discovered how much tastier the non fortified versions are.
I think more people start using it for B12, and not the taste. A same because those little B12 tabs can be so tasty!
I started using it for b12 but ended up just loving it. I need to back read to see what the issue with it was. I can’t remember.
Oh nevermind...this is a new thread haha. I don’t know where the previous discussion was.

I seem to recall another discussion about negatives of nutritional yeast and thinking I should cut back but I never did. ☹️
Do you use non fortified? You've got that mthfr thing right--so the folic acid wouldn't be good for you?

Take your pick what to believe! I find most searches for "is too much..." comes up with either the fortified version or the fiber can cause issues--or they're a site like Mercola 🙄

Reactions: KLS52
I checked on Dr Gregers page--he doesn't have a limit on nooch unless you have a reason to not tolerate it well.

Do you use non fortified? You've got that mthfr thing right--so the folic acid wouldn't be good for you?

Take your pick what to believe! I find most searches for "is too much..." comes up with either the fortified version or the fiber can cause issues--or they're a site like Mercola 🙄
No I get the fortified. And yes I have the mutated gene but was told to supplement “with” folic acid which I don’t do, consciously. I don’t even know what’s in nutritional yeast other than b12. I figured it was a bunch of b’s.

I think the most I use it for is to make creamed greens.
I pack the Instant Pot with cut greens, add about 1/2 cup water, smashed garlic cloves, and set for 5 min.
I add enough nutritional yeast to make a creamy sauce, and some lemon or vinegar-I like balsamic too. Salt, pepper
Sometimes I;ll add some vegan mayo to be even creamier.
I like the combination of nooch, lemon, salt, and dijon or mustard powder, but I often forget the mustard.

No I get the fortified. And yes I have the mutated gene but was told to supplement “with” folic acid which I don’t do, consciously. I don’t even know what’s in nutritional yeast other than b12. I figured it was a bunch of b’s.
But I thought that folic acid was bad, and you need the natural folate?
Oh--I guess I'm mistaken! I have read that a lot though, that those with the variant needed the natural form.

This is why, the methylated form. I wondered if it would be beneficial to my son, and bought 3 bottles when I found them on sale. I still have them.

A nutritionist I visited told me to only use non-fortified nutritional yeast as the synthetically made folic acid in fortified brands is carcinogenic.

A nutritionist I visited told me to only use non-fortified nutritional yeast as the synthetically made folic acid in fortified brands is carcinogenic.
Dr Greger changed his stance on folic acid. I am glad he first opposed it because that's why I tried the non fortified
The non fortified tastes wayyyyy better. I got an unpleasant aftertaste from the fortified one. I now use Anthonys non fortified

Fortified adds B12 and Folic acid. Other B's and stuff are natural to the process

Dietary yeast is a profoundly nutritious vegetarian food item with different potential medical advantages. It tends to be utilized to add additional protein, nutrients, minerals and cancer prevention agents to dinners. Studies recommend that healthful yeast may help secure against oxidative harm, lower cholesterol and lift in susceptibility.

I’m trying the unfortified nutritional yeast although I forget why lol. Fingers crossed I don’t hate it.

I’m trying the unfortified nutritional yeast although I forget why lol. Fingers crossed I don’t hate it.
In my opinion, it tastes much better! I started with fortified, and liked it, but the non fortified I find is 'cheesey', while the fortified was just savory.
I also don't get any 'after taste' with non fortified. I now buy Anthonys non fortified from amazon.
Kal Imported, and Food Alive were other non fortified I tried and liked.
I've tried numerous fortified and find them about the same

I bought Lewis Lab one from amazon and got grit in it-and bad taste. Glad you reminded me to call!!