Nutritional Yeast

I’m trying the unfortified nutritional yeast although I forget why lol. Fingers crossed I don’t hate it.
Oh, folic acid isn't supposed to be that good for you- it's the synthetic version of folate. Dr Greger used to say avoid it, but now says it's ok. He's why I tried the non fortified though, and I'm happy I did!

Reactions: KLS52
Oh, folic acid isn't supposed to be that good for you- it's the synthetic version of folate. Dr Greger used to say avoid it, but now says it's ok. He's why I tried the non fortified though, and I'm happy I did!
Yes! That’s it! 😊
I put it in my soup so I didn’t notice a difference in taste yet. I’ll need to see when I add it to tofu scramble or potatoes.

In my opinion, it tastes much better! I started with fortified, and liked it, but the non fortified I find is 'cheesey', while the fortified was just savory.
I also don't get any 'after taste' with non fortified. I now buy Anthonys non fortified from amazon.
Kal Imported, and Food Alive were other non fortified I tried and liked.
I've tried numerous fortified and find them about the same

I bought Lewis Lab one from amazon and got grit in it-and bad taste. Glad you reminded me to call!!
Oh that’s interesting. I like cheesy so hopefully I will like it. I was afraid it would be less so. 🤞🏼

It keeps your digestive system healthy and in balance. It is not bad until it crosses its limit. it is vegetarian food only.

Why does the unfortified nutritional yeast cost more than the fortified? It isn't due to any cheap additives because they could just be left out of the original product.

Why does the unfortified nutritional yeast cost more than the fortified? It isn't due to any cheap additives because they could just be left out of the original product.
That is a very good question! So many products that leave additives out end up costing more.
So many vegan foods that simply leave things out and sub cheaper--like vegan mayo, or a meatless cheeseless sub sandwich 🙄
I find the unfortified to be farrrrrr better tasting!
I buy Anthonys non fortified

I'm not fussy. Just get what I see in the store first. Right now its Bob's Red Tail. It's fortified.

I'm not fussy. Just get what I see in the store first. Right now its Bob's Red Tail. It's fortified.
I get enough of those vitamins in the unfortified and elsewhere. I'm vegan but my B12 always tests very high.

Reactions: Lou
I get enough of those vitamins in the unfortified and elsewhere. I'm vegan but my B12 always tests very high.
The most common test for B12 is a blood test which has been found to have many false high reading
The reliable test is the mma

I stress this from reading posts from new vegans worried about high b12. A true high level of b12 would be an indicator of serious problems!
Excess B12 is excreted in urine

Vegans in particular need sources of b12 from foods or supplements. Cyanocobalim is the one that is stable, while methyl loses potency
I take 2000 mcg sublingual once weekly

Reactions: Lou

The unfortified that I buy (bulk store) is a lot less expensive that any fortified (packaged) that I have seen.

ASIDE: the price of my bulk nooch has almost double over the past 2 months and even with that happening it is still a lot less than packaged.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I'm not a new vegan just newly discovered this forum. My B12 results have often been high. I get enough from other sources. I've only used fortified B12 and sparingly. I'd use it more often if it was unfortified but I'm frugal. I'm not cheap but can't understand why I'm expected to pay more for them to leave out the additives. It's not as though they have to extract anything so no added cost to them.

Is it listed as unfortified. I buy at a bulk food store and it doesn't list but is the bright color which I believe indicates fortified. I'd planned to ask at the store but unsure if they'd tell me believing I'd want fortified. I'm cynical sometimes, comes more with age.
The unfortified that I buy (bulk store) is a lot less expensive that any fortified (packaged) that I have seen.

ASIDE: the price of my bulk nooch has almost double over the past 2 months and even with that happening it is still a lot less than packaged.

Emma JC

Is it listed as unfortified. I buy at a bulk food store and it doesn't list but is the bright color which I believe indicates fortified. I'd planned to ask at the store but unsure if they'd tell me believing I'd want fortified. I'm cynical sometimes, comes more with age.

It isn't listed as fortified and it isn't a bright colour so I am pretty sure it is unfortified.

Emma JC

B12 is easy for vegans to get because it's in a multi vitamin, many alternatives milks, many cereals, many vegan prepackaged meals, fortified nutritional yeast, B complex vitamins, and more. The B complex ones have outrageous amounts but you can buy tablets and section them. I've never had a low B12 result since becoming vegan. I though know carnivores, even within my family, who've had to take B12 shots.
Consuming folate from foods is supposed to be better than getting it from supplements. Unfortified nutritional yeast does contain some vitamins before additives to make it fortified.
There are studies stating something is good for you and the same is bad for you. It depends on the composer whether they want to focus on the positive or negative.
Nutritional yeast looks like fish food, to me, and has a stale cheese flavor by itself. I use it to make savory blends and cheese sauces.

Nutritional yeast looks like fish food
That made me laugh. Yes, now that you mention it, it does look like fish food.

I rarely use it in recipes, but occasionally. I tend to use it almost exclusively for popcorn.