Not feeling well, advice?

Mizzue

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Need some advice from other vegans.
I went vegan 3 months ago, up until now i've been fine but now i'm feeling quite weak and have body aches and pains everyday, my body snaps and cracks a lot also. It's possible I could feel poorly because I have not been taking a b12 supplement but have ordered some and will start taking them as soon as it's delivered. I have been taking vitamin D with calcium supplements though.
I'm clueless about nutrition but i'm trying to learn so i can live a healthy cruelty free life.
I try to eat a variety of meals but my diet mostly consits of mushrooms, peppers, broccoli, beans, potato, soy, variety of fruit and nuts. I'm going to introduce kale and spinach into my diet also.
Is there anything i am missing from my diet, what else should i be eating?

Hello @Mizzue and welcome to the forum :)

What you describe could be a Herxheimer Reaction. If you don't know what that is, search for it here on the forum. I've spoken about it several times. It doesn't account for the snaps and cracks though - how active is your lifestyle? Would you consider taking something up to improve your limbic flexibility (such as yoga)? Have you been ill recently? Some illnesses can compromise the joints, but this is rarer - when hearing hoof-steps think horses, not donkeys. ;) The symptoms you describe aren't the most obvious symptoms for a B12 deficiency, but you should definitely supplement - especially if you're new to veganism and don't know a lot about nutrition.

To someone who might be feeling a little swamped I would simply say eat the rainbow. Look at your diet and ask yourself what colours you are missing. It is a simple way of looking at things that often works. I would try to eat more legumes (peas, lentils, and also seeds). The dark leafy greens will help with your vitamin D and calcium - eat enough and you won't need to supplement. I would also eat some wholegrains, like quinoa, brown rice, and barley.

I recommend taking an iodine supplement as well. It will help with the Herx.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.