New vegan cheese-Violife

1642416999818.png

Try our new Viocreme - an indulgent vegan alternative to dairy cream that cooks, bakes, tops and pours just like dairy.
It’s made from seven natural ingredients – blend of coconut and rapeseed oils, lentil protein, natural flavour, maize starch, and a touch of beet sugar and rock salt.
Viocreme is also completely Free From dairy, soya, gluten, lactose, nuts, preservatives and emulsifiers.
Transform your meals with Viocreme. It is deliciously thick and creamy, perfect for p

I tried the Violife butter this week and didn't really like it. It doesn't melt well on toast, which is weird as I like most of their cheezes that I have tasted.

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and shyvas
You know something this cheese is the best ive ever had and whats funny is i prefer it to diary cheese, when I went back to eating meat I still bought this cheese!! It still amazes me how they can make a cheese alternative out of coconut oil!!

Also one worth to check out is Morrisons "free from" vegan cheese, I find the slices have a stronger cheese flavour than Violife slices.

I've had Violife shredded smoked provolone and felt it was the best vegan version for pizza!
It's also pricier than I'd like- over $5 for a 8oz bag I believe.I got it once on sale

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Raven
We just bought a new vegan cheese the other day called Violife.
View attachment 6257

Taste: Really quite good! Very much like Mozzarella. Jen said it was one of the best vegan cheeses she's had, ever. I think she first bought some from Tesco (delivery?) and then found some more at Holland & Barrett in town.

Environment: it does not contain palm oil!

Nutrition: No protein. Contains water, coconut oil and starch as the main ingredients. Coconut oil has a lot of saturated fat, but I believe that's not so bad as previously thought when consumed in moderation....?

They have several different flavours:
Violife products

They're available in a lot of European countries + South Africa, Jordan and Israel:
Violife availability
I was eating a garlic spread made out of Palm oil, Was that an unhealthy food option?

I was eating a garlic spread made out of Palm oil, Was that an unhealthy food option?
Possibly. Palm oil is high in saturated fats, about 49% if I understand correctly. If you don't eat it in large quantities at a time, then maybe it's not the worst thing.

The more worrying thing about palm oil is the environmental impact. It's usually grown in places where they have to clear out jungle and thereby destroy wildlife habitats. So therefore I personally try to avoid palm oil, but it's difficult because it's used in so many food products.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou and shyvas
Possibly. Palm oil is high in saturated fats, about 49% if I understand correctly. If you don't eat it in large quantities at a time, then maybe it's not the worst thing.

The more worrying thing about palm oil is the environmental impact. It's usually grown in places where they have to clear out jungle and thereby destroy wildlife habitats. So therefore I personally try to avoid palm oil, but it's difficult because it's used in so many food products.
Wow that shocking, I didn't know that
This entire time I really thought I was improving by not eating butter and replacing it with palm butter, because I thought it was better since it came from a plant :pensive: I regret that choice
THANK YOU EARLY BIRD
What's your biggest health benefit of being vegan?

Palm oil and coconut oil have the unique properties of being solid at higher temps, why you find them used in products like spreads and cheeses.
Neither is healthy, even worse than other oils, and both have ethical concerns.
This article addresses some of both, but doesn't even look into the monkey slave trade for picking coconuts

I'm not saying I never use them, but certainly not in anything I use on a regular basis

Wow that shocking, I didn't know that
This entire time I really thought I was improving by not eating butter and replacing it with palm butter, because I thought it was better since it came from a plant :pensive: I regret that choice
THANK YOU EARLY BIRD
What's your biggest health benefit of being vegan?
I think there are ethically sources palm oil. But I'm not sure what products have them included. *

its pretty impossible to avoid all the products that include palm oil. But you can avoid it when possible. which is about all we can hope for.

I think its the same with coconuts. there are ethically sourced coconut products - again I'm not sure what to look for.

also keep in mind that most chocolate, coffee and cashews are not ethically sourced. I pay attention to these things when I'm shopping but it can drive you crazy if you let it.

Palm oil and coconut oil have the unique properties of being solid at higher temps, why you find them used in products like spreads and cheeses.
Neither is healthy, even worse than other oils, and both have ethical concerns.
This article addresses some of both, but doesn't even look into the monkey slave trade for picking coconuts

I'm not saying I never use them, but certainly not in anything I use on a regular basis
Thanks for the link 😃