New vegan cheese-Violife

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
We just bought a new vegan cheese the other day called Violife.
violife_original.png

Taste: Really quite good! Very much like Mozzarella. Jen said it was one of the best vegan cheeses she's had, ever. I think she first bought some from Tesco (delivery?) and then found some more at Holland & Barrett in town.

Environment: it does not contain palm oil!

Nutrition: No protein. Contains water, coconut oil and starch as the main ingredients. Coconut oil has a lot of saturated fat, but I believe that's not so bad as previously thought when consumed in moderation....?

They have several different flavours:
Violife products

They're available in a lot of European countries + South Africa, Jordan and Israel:
Violife availability

... but I believe that's not so bad as previously thought when consumed in moderation....?
Guidelines for saturated fat haven't changed, its just that the dairy, beef and coconut industries have done a top-notch job distorting the science.

Hope it makes it's way over here, especially if it is like mozzarella. :smitten:

It says on the comments that it looks like it is Vegourmet with a new brand name but I haven't had it before so I'm going to try this.

I have had some Vegusto melty cheese for the last week and when it ran out I ate some Tesco smoked soya and it tasted vile in comparison so I would be interested to see if this rivals Vegusto.

We've now tried it on pizza. It definitely has potential! However, we just used the regular type, not the one made particularly for pizza. It did sort of melt a bit, but not quite. When I bit into it, I could feel it running / oozing a little, which I guess is part of the appeal with moo cheese. Edit: The texture felt right as well.

I imagine the Violife cheese type made particularly for pizza that shyvas linked to in post #2 would be better melting better. Did you order it yet, @shyvas?

We've now tried it on pizza. It definitely has potential! However, we just used the regular type, not the one made particularly for pizza. It did sort of melt a bit, but not quite. When I bit into it, I could feel it running / oozing a little, which I guess is part of the appeal with moo cheese.

I imagine the Violife cheese type made particularly for pizza that shyvas linked to in post #2 would be better melting better. Did you order it yet, @shyvas?

Not yet as I need to eat all my Daiya stock which is in the freezer.:)

I tried it on a mini pizza just now and thought it was okay. I had roasted aubergine, peppers, courgette and olives on it too so it might have drowned out the flavour a bit. I had a bite of it uncooked and it reminds me of Edam cheese.

I tried it on a mini pizza just now and thought it was okay. I had roasted aubergine, peppers, courgette and olives on it too so it might have drowned out the flavour a bit. I had a bite of it uncooked and it reminds me of Edam cheese.

I usually make either pizza or aubergine bake when using vegan cheese. I will try and place an order for some Violife when I have used up my Daiya stock.
I 'm always eager to try and compare vegan cheeses.

It took me a while to think what it tasted like as I obviously haven't eaten cheese in years and Edam wasn't one of my favourites. It reminds me of parties in the 80's when people used to put cubes of cheese on cocktail sticks with pineapple chunks.:D

I wish there was a vegan cheese that tasted like brie or halloumi *sigh* I used to love both of those.

It took me a while to think what it tasted like as I obviously haven't eaten cheese in years and Edam wasn't one of my favourites. It reminds me of parties in the 80's when people used to put cubes of cheese on cocktail sticks with pineapple chunks.:D

I wish there was a vegan cheese that tasted like brie or halloumi *sigh* I used to love both of those.

I absolutely love grilled hot halloumi with rocket and strawberry salad.

I liked cottage cheese as well....I would like a dairy free cottage cheese.

Yes, on a hot baked potato. I used to love dairy cheese so much that I'm surprised that I was ever able to go vegan.:p I was vegetarian for 13 years and I ate cheese almost every day.:oops: I think vegetarians often rely too much on cheese that it makes the transition to vegan harder.

Reactions: KLS52

How does it compare to Tesco's Free From cheddar cheese ?

^ I don't like the Tesco one at all, I had it recently and it tasted horrible to me so I prefer the Violife one.

^ I don't like the Tesco one at all, I had it recently and it tasted horrible to me so I prefer the Violife one.

That's good to know.
I liked the Tesco cheddar but haven't had it in ages as I have stocked up with Daiya. I will definitely place an order for some Violife when I run out of my Daiya stock.