Make your own Vegan Cheese.. it's not too difficult!

Have you tried making vegan cheese yet?

• Total voters

Andy_T

Little green mod
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
So, as it is often said, cheese is for many people the most difficult thing to give up when moving to a vegan diet.

I was vegetarian for about 20 years myself before finding out about the dark side of the egg and dairy industry, and I definitely liked to consume a lot of cheese.

When I went vegan, I used the "Cold Turkey" approach and simply did not consume any more cheese. After some time, however, I decided to try out some of the vegan cheeses available, and some were very nice (e.g. Vegusto, Wilmersburger, certain flavours from Cheezly, Daiya, and some more), while others were lacking.

Recently, however, I started to try making my own vegan cheese, and was surprised how easy it is to get very nice results with little work. So here I am trying to tell you all to give it a try :)

Also, these are two facebook groups that might be helpful in the venture.

Vegan Cheese lovers club (closed group)
Vegan Cheese (open group)

Basically, the very good (artisan) vegan cheeses (Miyoko's, Kite Hill, etc.) are made from some kind of nut butter or milk, and cultured with a ferment. This is possibly not the easiest way to get started.

Easier vegan cheeses also are based on some nut basis (often cashews), and use a gelling agent (often agar-agar or kappa carrageenan) and some ingredients that add taste (e.g. Nutritional yeast, Marmite, Miso, garlic, vegan soup stock), and can typically be prepared in about half an hour with some time in the refrigerator to set.

A good starting point for "beginners" cheese that can be used as a basis for different tastes is Anja's website "Cooking with Plants". This is the basic "uncultured cashew cheese recipe" that got me started on making my own vegan cheese, as it is very quick and easy to prepare and tastes very good. Believe me or not, but since I have made the first batch of this, I have not bought any vegan cheese in the store. I usually make a large batch of it, and fill it in different containers, and before putting the container to rest, stir in some additional flavour on some of the cheeses (pesto works very well to get a nice green "basil" taste cheese, sundried tomatoes and tomato sauce make for a nice mediterranean tomato themed cheese, and the addition of liquid smoke adds the nice smoked taste)

Another easy one is Somer's "Smoked Coconut Gouda" from her Abundance Diet Cookbook.

This is also very easy to make and cheaper than cashew-based cheese, but the coconut base is not as versatile as the cashew cheese base (meaning that if you add additional flavours like pesto or tomato, it somehow does not harmonize as much as with the cashew based cheese).

Here are some pictures I already shared in another thread:

end-result-jpg.7116
1250 grams of delicious Smoked Coconut Gouda.
Material cost? Maybe 15 $ :)

unmolded-cheese-jpg.7117
after the unmolding, not completely firm, but not a "pudding" either ... just right!

cracker-jpg.7118
... something I had been missing for some time. Delicious.

So ... I hope I could get you interested a little bit!

If you do have any questions, please feel free to ask!!!

I must say that I am still at the beginning of my cheese-making journey, e.g. I have not yet tried my luck and my capability at any of the cultured nut cheeses, but I will get to that point eventually.

If any of you do have experiences in the area of cheesemaking, I would really love to hear about them!!!

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited:
I have been intending to try making nondairy cheese, but haven't yet. Apart from the cream cheese that I use in making Salzkuchen and quiches, the only store bought vegan cheese that I've tried that has been worth the money is a grated Parmesan, so I'm hoping that I can do better.

Reactions: Andy_T
Thanks for sharing :)

One question: I thought Gouda was supposed to be a hard (firm) cheese? In the last picture with the cracker, it looks like your version is a soft cheese? Or is that because it's still fresh, and needs to be aged before you get the firmer texture?

I must confess, I have no idea, why this particular cheese is called "Gouda".
Maybe from the (wrong) impression that Gouda is a rather tasteless cheese (A real aged Gouda is everthing but that).

It is definitely rather soft, more like a brie. Maybe because I did not use enough carrageenan, but also the version that I tasted before from a friend was rather soft (I have yet to see a really hard vegan cheese).

I have made all sorts of different cheese sauces for vegan mac and cheese using veggies like cauliflower, potato, eggplant or butternut squash, and seed and nut based sauces with cashews and sunflower seeds, but I have never attempted an aged or sliceable vegan cheese. Mostly because I don't keep things like carrageenan or probiotic capsules or any of that fussy stuff on hand and it seems like too much of a bother if I can't make it with a few basic ingredients and a few minutes in a blender.

I have made all sorts of different cheese sauces for vegan mac and cheese using veggies like cauliflower, potato, eggplant or butternut squash, and seed and nut based sauces with cashews and sunflower seeds, but I have never attempted an aged or sliceable vegan cheese. Mostly because I don't keep things like carrageenan or probiotic capsules or any of that fussy stuff on hand and it seems like too much of a bother if I can't make it with a few basic ingredients and a few minutes in a blender.

Pretty much this.

On the one hand, I'd be interested to try it out just to see.

On the other hand, whenever I make something at home/from scratch, even though I really enjoy cooking, I have to see an advantage in making it myself over buying it pre-made - making something significantly cheaper, that tastes better, or just making something that's impossible to buy. The home-made cheese, for me, doesn't seem to tick any of those boxes - I'm lucky enough to live somewhere that has decent vegan cheese in local supermarkets.

That being said, I might give it a go at some point anyway :p

I made a "goat" cheese with a probiotic a few years ago. It was pretty mediocre. However I do make cheese sauces and spreads all the time. Recipes are definitely getting better!

The Gouda recipe doesn't look too complicated. I think I am going to give this a try this weekend. If I do, I will post results.

... but I have never attempted an aged or sliceable vegan cheese. Mostly because I don't keep things like carrageenan or probiotic capsules or any of that fussy stuff on hand and it seems like too much of a bother if I can't make it with a few basic ingredients and a few minutes in a blender.

GingerFoxx, I understand your point!

I also have not really attempted an aged or truly sliceable vegan cheese yet. But after my initial successes with the simple recipes, this is the next thing for me to aspire to.

A soft cheese like the two recipes I have posted is not too difficult to achieve, and carrageenan is simply a different setting agent to agar-agar. They both can achieve a medium firm cheese, the difference, I am told, is that the cheese made with carrageenan melts when heated.

On the other hand, whenever I make something at home/from scratch, even though I really enjoy cooking, I have to see an advantage in making it myself over buying it pre-made - making something significantly cheaper, that tastes better, or just making something that's impossible to buy. The home-made cheese, for me, doesn't seem to tick any of those boxes - I'm lucky enough to live somewhere that has decent vegan cheese in local supermarkets.

AeryFairy, I agree with everything you have said!

I admit, one part of the reason why I tried my hand at making my own vegan cheese (being initially convinced that this is something really difficult and the results would only be mediocre) was that where I live, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, there is not so much vegan cheese available.

Yes, I have been buying the "GoVeggie" mozarella shreds, cream cheese and Parmesan alternative, and the few flavours from Cheezly that I find worthwile (mainly the "Blue Cheese" style) in the local supermarket, but those are not always available.

However, since I made my first own vegan cheese (the one from "Cooking with Plants"), I have found that this is actually more tasty (when adding enough miso and garlic for the taste), made from higher quality ingredients (cashews) and slightly cheaper than the store-bought varieties (even considerably cheaper when buying the ingredients in a bakery supply shop as opposed to the health food section of the local supermarket).

And since I have made the first batch, I did not feel the need to go to the shop and buy ready-made vegan cheese, even though I have seen that they had it in stock.

PS: I must also say, that some years ago, in a vegetarian&vegan cooking class, the teacher made vegan cheese from us, basically from cashews and nutritional yeast. That is also how it tasted, like nutritional yeast. I must confess that I had a difficulty to finish that one, then. The recipes I have shared now are quite different.

Reactions: AeryFairy
I think I love him. Fresh mozzarella is my all time favorite cheese in the world. I miss it the most. If you do make it, please report back...then I'll need your address, hahaha.

I couldn't find tapioca flour in the grocery store, so my Gouda experiment will have to wait until I can get to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.

To be honest, I used some other kind of starch that I had on hand. Guess it was potato starch.
Hmm, maybe that is why my cheese did get too creamy/soft and not "Gouda-y" ;-)
Anyway. I loved it nevertheless...

Reactions: PTree15
Diana, that depends!

Of course, vegan cheese does have lot of fat (though not as much as dairy cheese), so best to consume it in moderation, if you need to limit your caloric intake.

Best regards,
Andy

To be honest, I used some other kind of starch that I had on hand. Guess it was potato starch.
Hmm, maybe that is why my cheese did get too creamy/soft and not "Gouda-y" ;-)
Anyway. I loved it nevertheless...
I was going to ask whether there could be substitutions. :D Hmmm, I will have to check the pantry and see what's what.

By the way, Andy, I love your avatar.