Make your own Vegan Cheese.. it's not too difficult!

Have you tried making vegan cheese yet?

• Total voters
I love this recipe, it's easy, it's usual ingredients I always have, it does the things I like cheese to do.
Vegan steamed rice cheese

I used dijon mustard for the French mustard, doubled miso & nooch, rice vinegar for white, and a couple drops of liquid smoke. I thought like a smoky gouda.
The first time I made this I used 1/3 cup tapioca starch in place of rice flour and it did soften very well when heated- not melt, just soften so great on pizza and left tastey bits in casseroles or mac &cheese when shredded (really nice!). Second time all rice flour- this was much like a hard parm or that other hard Italian cheese. Grated well.

I really loved this with tapioca starch. I got that and the rice flour at either the Asian or the Indian groceries.
And the refined coconut oil is necessary for the texture! I used my Instant pot for this (of course!) but the recipe is written for steamer or IP

Making this again- my favorite chese!
https://lowcarb-vegan .net/vegan-steamed-rice-cheese0./

How I changed it-
In a food processor or blender (not a mini bullet)
First - 3/4 cup water
1T Dijon mustard
1T vegan mayo
1T white miso
2T rice vinegar (try wine vinegar if you like!)
2 teaspoons olive brine
1 drop of liquid smoke
at this point I blend so I can adjust flavors. Then add-
3T nutritional yeast
2/3 cup white rice flour (not glutinous)
1/3 tapioca starch (same as tapioca flour)
(you could just use a cup rice flour but is a harder cheese-tapioca lets it somewhat melt)
1/3 cup REFINED coconut oil -this is tasteless and keeps its texture

I used my Instant Pot, putting mix in a pyrex bowl and covered with plastic wrap or foil. Low pressure for 30 min on a rack over 2 cups water. Let it depressure (NPR) by itself.
The recipe link shows using a steamer for 45 min

Why do several of these surveys disenfranchise half the would-be voters? You can only vote if you have NOT had a go. My recipe is the simplest ever. Parmesan Cheeze:
150g cashews
1/4 tsp garlic powder
4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp salt
Place it all in a blender or food processor and blitz it till it looks like grated parmesan.
I have to admit it is the only cheeze we have made so far but it's not at all bad.

Reactions: Val